Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 OFF-TOPIC: Enter At Your Own Risk
 Economic / big business
 Heartbreaking
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

flicka
Seriously Hooked

868 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2011 :  11:07:06 PM  Show Profile Send flicka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
originally published by mouse:

quote:
I don't think it matters whether the letter is *real.* The situation is all too real.

It does matter, but to me it is written so well and the situation is so heart-rending that it haunts me. So I am glad to have read it.

flicka
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2041 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2011 :  07:43:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last night I was reading the paper and saw an article about employeers stating the unemployeed need not apply for the listed job. Darn it, I was going to bring the article home so I could quote it! Anyway, it did state that this practice is NOT breaking any laws. It stated that this is going on with both employeers and placement agencies! I'm sort of sure it was an AP article.

Isn't it something that we all assume there are laws and then we find out that no, there is no law covering something we always assumed to be written in stone! I guess what bothers me is that we need laws to make people just do what is right!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2011 :  2:50:27 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally I know a lot of unemployed people in my county who are right at the end of their ropes. A close friend of a relative is so depressed that he isn't looking for work anymore. I think he's 55 years old.

Recently another of them, who was in his 60's, killed his terminally ill wife, notified the police that he would shoot anyone who came anywhere near their house, and then burned the house, in foreclosure from medical bills to the ground. He poured so much gas on the house that it was burnt to the ground. These are real people.

We have lots and lots of people who are suffering. I don't care if the letter is real or not. Many voiceless people are going through this.

"Had I used my college education to rip people off and steal from the elderly, poor, disabled and main street Americans I would be wearing different shoes now -- a petty king. Hard work, honesty, loving kindness, charity and mercy, and becoming unemployed and destitute unable to pay your bills are all considered foolishness and high crimes in America now. Whereas stealing and lying and cheating and being greedy to excess and destroying the fabric of America is rewarded and protected -- even making such people petty king and petty queens among us."

I've had these thoughts myself. We've had discussions with relatives about the things mentioned in this paragraph. Petty Potentates Indeed.

Lella

Zippiknits

Go to Top of Page

Tranny
Warming Up

72 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2011 :  08:01:51 AM  Show Profile Send Tranny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/22/opinion/22herbert.html?_r=1

It is real, and it is happening in this country. It's far bigger a problem than shoveling sidewalks for $5 and eating at soup kitchens can cure - it's a disappearing middle class. And without a broad and thriving middle class to consume goods and services, a country cannot thrive. This is not good.
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

680 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2011 :  09:31:30 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reading Bob Herbert makes me want to cry. Why is nothing done to the crooks on Wall Street? And what the h..ll is wrong with the Republican Party? They are starting to sound like a broken record. Fiscal responsibility is good, but not if it has to come at the sole expense of the middle class. What about the top 1% do they not have a social conscience?
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2364 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2011 :  11:01:43 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They have no conscience..they have no hearts...only large bank accounts...and their slaves have very deep pockets.
azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.7 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth