Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 OFF-TOPIC: Enter At Your Own Risk
 Political discussions
 Life expectancy lags in the U.S.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2011 :  5:52:59 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the other hand taxpayers have paid Lockheed Martin well over $62 billion, for a completely obsolete aircraft, that nobody needs and only the air force wants.

Is that $800 Billion a world wide figure? I'm trying to find it. I agree in principle that we should let people pass away with dignity and when they want to refuse care.

Lella

Zippiknits

Want to make Betty Happy? Help buy her some brand new shoes.
Go to Top of Page

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2011 :  9:10:29 PM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The $800 billion is just in the US, other countries don't spend as much in end-of-life care as we do.

Consuelo
"Travel is fatal to prejudice" Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

mouse
Permanent Resident

1442 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2011 :  9:50:31 PM  Show Profile Send mouse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Consuelo

I dunno... I see 6 or 8 centennarians on the Today show almost every day. How long do we really want to live? Life is SUPPOSED to end at some point. It does for all animals and plants on the planet. We need to get over this mindset of being entitled live forever and with the latest medical advances right up to the time we take our last breath.

We spend $800 BILLION a year on the last month of people's lives. I think that is obscene. For what? An extra four days on the planet? I for one plan to go home to die without any extraordinary measures that extend my life for 25 minutes for a huge cost. It's indecent.

Please excuse the rant but this subject makes my blood boil.

Consuelo

I generally agree with this, and don't intend to authorize extraordinary measures when I'm old, or if I get something terminal before then.

I think that, as a society, we're very afraid of death, and that's a shame.

But I don't think that the extraordinary measures at the end is what this study points to - as you said, those measures change the length of life by days, or at most, weeks.

........................................................................................................................
What is objectionable, what is dangerous, about extremists is not that they are extreme, but that they are intolerant. The evil is not what they say about their cause, but what they say about their opponents. RFK
Go to Top of Page

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  03:00:25 AM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are right, Mouse. I was a bit off-topic. Please excuse me.

Consuelo
Go to Top of Page

mouse
Permanent Resident

1442 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  09:10:43 AM  Show Profile Send mouse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Consuelo

You are right, Mouse. I was a bit off-topic. Please excuse me.

Consuelo

I apologize. It was not my intent to chide for being off topic. Conversations naturally evolve from one topic to another.. I should have made my point more clearly. I agree that we spend a lot of resources at the end of life, trying to delay death for a few days or weeks, and we could use those resources much more effectively in preventive care and early diagnosis, to make people's lives healthier and better.

........................................................................................................................
What is objectionable, what is dangerous, about extremists is not that they are extreme, but that they are intolerant. The evil is not what they say about their cause, but what they say about their opponents. RFK
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  11:33:57 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your answer Consuelo. Rantings are fine. I was just astounded by the figure.

Lella

Zippiknits

Want to make Betty Happy? Help buy her some brand new shoes.
Go to Top of Page

Keliyarn
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2011 :  09:26:09 AM  Show Profile Send Keliyarn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What people have to understand is there is not a "Canadian Health care System" Each province has different medical coverage. Some provinces have more to offer then others due to populaltion. I Know as we lived in BC and Saskatchewan and they were very different in cost and services. Also, its NOT FREE!! In BC we pay $105 a month for a family. Also, prescriptions are not free either! We have a family relative that pays $1500/yr for her daughters prescriptions.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.73 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?