Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Catskill Merino
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

KnittingKittens
Chatty Knitter

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2010 :  02:52:25 AM  Show Profile Send KnittingKittens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sheila and Meeziegirl for the info. I don't dye so that was very helpful. So, if the indigo will continue to wear off then I'm not sure what I will do with this yarn. In its favor, it lets you see exactly how you hold your yarn!
Go to Top of Page

elizh
Permanent Resident

USA
1248 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2010 :  10:41:31 PM  Show Profile Send elizh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I emailed my non-knitting daughter, who lives just a few blocks from Union Square, to score me some. I instructed her to buy me 3 "hanks" since she probably wouldn't know what a skein was. She called me anyways. She thought it was interesting that they had sausage, too, for the "complete lamb experience".
Go to Top of Page

KnittingKittens
Chatty Knitter

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  03:55:16 AM  Show Profile Send KnittingKittens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To try to get rid of the indigo rubbing off on my hands, I unwound the balls of yarn, re-skeined and soaked in Eucalan. There was no color run-off during the soaking in lukewarm water. I made a test swatch and after drying the indigo color still came off on my hands.

I soaked the swatch in chlorine beach because why the heck not and after drying the indigo run off is a lot less. This is not good enough for me.

I would still be wiling to try the un-dyed because this is soft! If you would like to see pictures please see KnittingKittens Stash on Ravelry.
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3464 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2011 :  5:09:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was in NYC this weekend so I picked up two skeins of the sportweight at the Union square market. One skein is natural, the other handdyed so I was planning on doing some colowork -- a swatch will tell me if the colors play nice together or not...

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

stitchellen
Warming Up

60 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2014 :  6:31:38 PM  Show Profile Send stitchellen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eugene Wyatt's latest newsletter landed in my inbox tonight, so I visited the Catskill Merino web site to check current colors. It dawned on me that I have not shared my "find" with the Knitters Review gang. Included in the list of available yarns is "lambs wool". Produced from shearing the Saxon Merino babies,it is a three-ply sport weight yarn that comes in natural color only. Skeins are listed as 2 ounces - 50 grams with 175 yards. My kitchen digital scale tells me that a skein weighs 2.3 ounces or 65 grams. It's much heftier than most sport yarn, more like a light worsted. I have swatched it, using #5 needles. I got 10.5 sts. = 2 inches and 17 rows = 2 inches. I couldn't produce a uniformly even stockinette stitch swatch, and a bath in Eucalan did not improve the stitch quality but did produce a lovely bloom. I think it would be fabulous for a patterned stitch sweater, or even a plain stockinette stitch sweater if one doesn't mind the slightly rustic, obvious handknit appearance. I really like the natural color but may try dyeing a skein just to see how it takes dye. I can't get it to pill, yet at 17 microns this yarn produces an almost cashmere-like softness.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?