Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 A quick word about this section
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  1:48:17 PM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clara, You are the best.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

Beverly the Bronx Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  09:55:54 AM  Show Profile Send Beverly the Bronx Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clara's no mother hen. She's a smart cookie. Blessings, Beverly
Go to Top of Page

JaniceV
Chatty Knitter

USA
338 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  5:17:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit JaniceV's Homepage  Send JaniceV a Yahoo! Message Send JaniceV a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Am always greatful for Clara's help here.

"Life is not counted by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of times your breath is taken away"
Go to Top of Page

markiesnana
New Pal

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  4:09:43 PM  Show Profile Send markiesnana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Clara and readers;
I REALLY need an answer about working with wool. I recently completed a cat bed for my grandcat, and I crocheted it out of Paton's Merion wool. This was my first wool project. The skeins of yarn looked and smelled clean and soft. When trying to felt the project, I noticed that when I opened my wash machine....it had a decided "farm" smell. I can only imagine that the hot water did that.....is this normal? The cat bed is still damp and is drying with bath towels to block the shape (came out perfect); but I am hoping that it won't have that farm/barn smell when it is dry.
I sure hope someone knows about this! I don't know if I would ever use wool again after this experience!
Also, I didn't want to do anything to the fabric that would send the cat in the other direction.
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  4:53:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Markiesnana.

I think you'll be more successful finding an answer if you begin a new post in the appropriate section. Perhaps in the section devoted to "Yarn Talk".

Good luck!

quote:
Originally posted by Clara

The Random Knitting-Related Stuff section is intended for topics for which you can't find a home under the current forum structure. I realize this is a huge place, and that it's not immediately easy to fully fathom. Therefore I quite frequently come through this section and move topics to more appropriate areas.

This is not a mean-spirited move, nobody's getting their hand slapped, it's simply about putting content where it makes most sense. So if your post gets moved, please don't take it personally, and please understand that my intent is to keep this Random Knitting-Related Stuff section from becoming an endless dumping ground. Your post is not being intentionally relegated to the Gulag where nobody will see it. People read, fear not.

Go to Top of Page

Mickey
Permanent Resident

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  6:10:49 PM  Show Profile Send Mickey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by markiesnana
I noticed that when I opened my wash machine....it had a decided "farm" smell. I can only imagine that the hot water did that.....is this normal?

Ok,this is definitely in the wrong section , but since we're here... Your "farm smell" is probably the lanolin, normal and typical for "rustic" type wool. Some people like it, myself included. It's usually much more pronounced when the wool is wet. Hence the term "this smells like wet wool".
But if it really bothers you, here are some suggestions how to get rid of it.
Go to Top of Page

Unwound
Chatty Knitter

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2008 :  05:06:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Unwound's Homepage Send Unwound a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it possible to make this post a sticky? I've seen that feature on other forums where posts can be permanently kept as the first thread underneath the topic header.
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2008 :  05:09:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Unwound

Is it possible to make this post a sticky? I've seen that feature on other forums where posts can be permanently kept as the first thread underneath the topic header.

It is.
http://knittersreview.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=63

Hand and foot when harmonized forms martialism/but Military and literary when harmonized is art and this brings/philosophy. (Lee, Chang Hoo)
Go to Top of Page

Unwound
Chatty Knitter

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2008 :  4:55:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Unwound's Homepage Send Unwound a Private Message  Reply with Quote
that's interesting that it doesn't identify itself as a sticky if you just use the active topics feature.
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2008 :  5:00:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why would it need to be unless something had been said on it? (I know my ESL forum doesn't display stickies on active topics. Ravelry does and it's rather annoying, because some groups have lots of stickies and you never see what's NEW.)

Hand and foot when harmonized forms martialism/but Military and literary when harmonized is art and this brings/philosophy. (Lee, Chang Hoo)
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2008 :  5:08:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
None of the stickies here show up with Active Topics (unless they are, in fact, active)

Another forum I'm on has the stickies show up no matter what, and not only is it a pain to scroll past them all the time, but folks get so used to scrolling past them all the time that posting something new in them is useless, because people scroll past automatically without even noticing the color change in the topic label (I've done it myself).

"The web of our life is a Mingled Yarn, good and ill together."
All's Well That Ends Well, IV, iii
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

luvcelticknits
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  07:47:58 AM  Show Profile Send luvcelticknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clara,
I went into my e-mail this morning and I found something in my
Junk folder. It was from wilfred_1985@yahoo.ca and said it was "Sent from Knitter's Review Forums by boga111"
I did not open this junk e-mail. What do you think?
Go to Top of Page

Sara Sue
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  08:32:50 AM  Show Profile Send Sara Sue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
luv

I did a search on all those names and nothing came up. I would delete it if I were you.

Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  09:17:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bullmonty

Cluey chick?

http://designsbyhuileng.blogspot.com

How about Queen Bee?

Kelley
Check out my solar-dyed yarns at http://www.ceallachdyes.com
and my blog at http://ceallachknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

luvcelticknits
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  09:34:37 AM  Show Profile Send luvcelticknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SaraSue,
Thanks. I think I will delete that now.
Go to Top of Page

frodosmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
480 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  3:51:23 PM  Show Profile Send frodosmom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This thread is turning out to be a tribute to our Queen Bee, Clara, and long may she reign.
I can't resist adding my word of appreciation for her untiring effort to keep a wonderful forum running smoothly.
Go to Top of Page

MFITZ@VAFB.COM
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  09:23:54 AM  Show Profile Send MFITZ@VAFB.COM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HI CLARA AND ALL- I HAVE A PROBLEM- MY DAUGHTER'S SWEATERS ARE GETTING HUGE HOLES IN THEM EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE PACKED IN SEALED PLASTIC. WHAT DO YOU USE TO KEEP FROM GETTING MOTH HOLES? THANKS
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  2:41:12 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Put some lavender sachet in with them.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Irish Red
Warming Up

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  09:11:10 AM  Show Profile Send Irish Red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the mental picture of Clara in her knitted cape as our superhero, booglass. It is so apt. You do an amazing job, Clara, and it is a wonder you can get it all done and still knit, review yarns, books, patterns....oh my goodness!

The Industrious Bee
Go to Top of Page

Mshark
Warming Up

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2013 :  2:33:58 PM  Show Profile Send Mshark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all -- my little nephew just broke his wrist and wants a red and black striped cover for his cast. The red and black striped part I can figure out. Anybody have any pattern guidance? Thanks in advance!

Miriam
Knitshark
Yarn Longa Vita Brevis Est

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.86 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth