Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Knitting for Babies and Children
 Baby Surprise Jacket
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

knits_for_preemies
Permanent Resident

USA
1957 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2007 :  4:02:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit knits_for_preemies's Homepage Send knits_for_preemies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rhonda, I'm glad the notes and ideas are helping. I'm sure this sweater is just like lots of other projects. Once you go through the entire process once, it feels a lot more comfortable the next time around.

I just like having things written down in a very concrete way---I get interrupted a lot, so I have to have a reliable way to know exactly where I am at all times.

Happy Knitting,

Barbara

www.southernfriedknittin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

twinsmom
Chatty Knitter

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2007 :  06:49:45 AM  Show Profile Send twinsmom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've started the sweater, but the link to the notes is not working for me. I'm having trouble with some of the instructions and could use some input. Anyone know where the notes are, or have a copy?
Go to Top of Page

stitchmd
Seriously Hooked

716 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  11:13:20 AM  Show Profile Send stitchmd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is this pattern available in any of EZ's books? I might be able to find it in the library. While I'm willing to buy the pattern I find it absurd to pay for shipping as if it requires a carton and major postage.

You can't have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Go to Top of Page

marjotse
Permanent Resident

Sweden
1018 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  11:40:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit marjotse's Homepage Send marjotse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The pattern is both in Knitting workshop and in the opinionated knitter. There is also an excellent web-page on the pattern here:

http://www.knitting-and.com/wiki/Baby_Surprise_Jacket

I did find the pattern not difficult as such but one needs to keep track of what is going on and it is certainly not mindless knitting (at least not for me). I did really like making a BSJ and I have already another one planned..

Marjolein

my photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/98299499@N00/
Go to Top of Page

stitchmd
Seriously Hooked

716 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  2:16:23 PM  Show Profile Send stitchmd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the information, marjotse.

You can't have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Go to Top of Page

DebbiOH
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
525 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  05:06:56 AM  Show Profile Send DebbiOH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I took an extra day off, yesterday for a long weekend and made 2 of the BSJ. Two different sizes by trying different yarn weight and different size needles. I didn't have trouble with the pattern, although I did not sew the sleeve seams of my first jacket so I could lay it out for figuring out design placement in the 2nd jacket. I did use Dawn's notes in the beginning. As for counting the rows, well, I do use a beaded row counter. I've had it for years and it fits on my baby finger and there I keep it as I knit.
I love this pattern, but do agree that EZ had a unique way of writing up patterns for the public didn't she!

~Debbi~NW Ohio
Go to Top of Page

marilynrobinson
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  12:46:46 PM  Show Profile Send marilynrobinson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read EZ's pattern in the Opinionated Knitter and went "aargh". I am an experienced and experimental knitter (socks from the toe up on two circular needles with a Sherman heel is my latest conquest), but this pattern threw me. Thanks to Dawn Adcock for her cheat sheet, but I still needed to do my own line by line stitch by stitch cheat sheet. Had to redo it three times. Had to frog row 57 when I realized you still do your increase at the underarm seam beside the 10 added stitches. I am on row 70 and can see the shape taking form. I use those tiny pony tail elastics as stitch markers, and have one ensconced in the middle, one at each end at 20 stitches, and one on each side of the increases. Helps me make sure I have the right number of stitches. I am thinking of crocheting the shoulder seam, across the back of the neck, and across the other arm. If I am not happy with the cuffs, I will pick up stitches and do a circular ribbing. Right now I am using 3 weight yarn and #4 needles to make sweaters for twin boys due in May. After that I want to try doing one in stockinette, whatever size. Bridgewater NJ Senior Citizens, of which I am a member, knit for charities, so we will find some child who can use the sweater. Anybody played with the basic bsj pattern and come up with innovations? Happy Knitting to all.

Marilyn Robinson
Go to Top of Page

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1916 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  10:30:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Marilyn,

I will say i have seen stockinette versions of the BSJ, but they look a little off to me as garter st has a different height than stockinette. I would say after making the first one like EZ you might be able to fudge more so you can get it the right shape simply b'c you would have a template to work from. I ahve seen a mix of both garter and stockinette that also worked.

That was the great thing about EZ, she wanted the knitter to play with the design.

I do love this pattern tho. And I try to make them for friends when there is a baby on the way. Quick and easy and no matter what colorway I use (generally handspun) they all look gorgeous.

My mother made me a homosexual.
And if you give her some yarn, she'll make you one too. ~quentin crisp

http://purlewe.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

cyn@cyn.us
New Pal

9 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2009 :  09:22:20 AM  Show Profile Send cyn@cyn.us a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have the Dawn Adcock's Notes they can send me, I can't find my printouts and it's not available anymore. :O( I've got the new version from school house, but when you say "5 ridges" I pull my head in and get confused. I do better w/ the row by row, thanks in advance, Cyn cyn@cyn.us
Go to Top of Page

NYCMom
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2009 :  01:30:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit NYCMom's Homepage Send NYCMom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love to have a copy of Dawn Adcock's notes if anyone is willing to share. I know there's another version, by Meg Swanson, out of the BSJ but I really don't want to have to pay for the same pattern twice after having paid almost $30 for The Opinionated Knitter. I'd appreciate it if anyone is willing to share. It can be sent to KnittingKnoobie@gmail.com Thanks!

http://knittingknoobie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mocha
Permanent Resident

Singapore
2903 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2009 :  10:35:31 AM  Show Profile Send Mocha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought SchoolhousePress is selling line-by-line instruction by Meg Swan? I was thinking if I should buy the book or that pattern online.
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2009 :  4:02:34 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can get the pattern in two different EZ books, or the Spun Our version of the old newsletter, OR the new "booklet" by Meg that has baby, children and adult sizes, and also gives the optional row-by-row instructions. I even bought the DVD, which was the best investment - I used it in conjunction with the pattern (which comes with the DVD, by the way), and the pattern finally made sense to me. It really is a simple pattern, but I tried to read too much into the instructions, so the DVD really helped me get my brain wrapped around the whole thing.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

iamknittycat
New Pal

34 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  07:52:11 AM  Show Profile Send iamknittycat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished my first BSJ - used the line-by-line instructions in the "new booklet". Used Lorna's laces Sport wt with #4 needles - it is really cute - didn't have any problems and didn't have to frog once!! (the knitting Gods were watching over me I think :) ). The original instructions surely aren't very clear - couldn't have done it with those alone. Will probably make another one, maybe with matching booties this time.
Go to Top of Page

DebbiOH
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
525 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  5:55:08 PM  Show Profile Send DebbiOH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've made several of these now and I had to make my own notes as I worked along with EZ. I'm glad there is a new booklet. Is this the one that her daughter put out?

~Debbi~NW Ohio
Go to Top of Page

iamknittycat
New Pal

34 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2010 :  4:39:16 PM  Show Profile Send iamknittycat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have made the BSJ 3 times, and love it - give for gifts with matching socks or hat. But I count, count, count - every stitch, every row. I use EZ's pattern only as a guide, and use the instructions found on-line. It is a cute little jacket tho.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?