Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Felting Talk
 Best yarns and fibers for felting
 best yarn for not too thick or hairy felting?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Inkmama
Seriously Hooked

891 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  08:04:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Inkmama's Homepage Send Inkmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't love it either, beejayeles, though I know so many people who do because of the lack of hairyness.

Writing blog: http://penonfire.blogspot.com

Knitting blog: http://knittingonfire.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  09:34:38 AM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, too, prefer Patons Classic, Elann Highland, or Araucania over Cascade 220 for low fuzz. I had to shave my Cascade 220 clogs to be really happy with them.
Go to Top of Page

nrsmoo
New Pal

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2007 :  9:07:45 PM  Show Profile Send nrsmoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lion wool also felts very nicely and usually does not take more than 10-14 min...I also like Cascade and Knit Picks Wool of the Andes.

Lopi is cool, but you are right, you must like hairy...young people do love hairy.
Go to Top of Page

ClimberKnits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  09:44:39 AM  Show Profile Send ClimberKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've found the Paton's Merino works really well, in most colors. Some of the lighter shades take quite a bit longer agitation. I actually found some at a huge discount in the Meijer's craft section. Just a fluke. I wasn't really LOOKING for yarn. The best find.

I also like Knit Pick's Wool of the Andes, regular, held double and the bulky. Lopi felts very hairy. I took a shaving razor to it, but I think my sister said that it is still shedding.
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  7:13:52 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did a bag in the Elann Highland wool and it came out great. Be warned that it felted very quickly, maybe less than 15 minutes. I'm just glad I checked on it as soon as I did because it was done the first time I checked!

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

fiberlicious
Permanent Resident

1637 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  8:26:46 PM  Show Profile Send fiberlicious a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you don't like fuzzy felt, stay away from yarns with mohair.

Carol, you're a marvel - so talented!
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4157 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2007 :  07:55:23 AM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A second on nature spun.

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

suziew96
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  08:46:49 AM  Show Profile Send suziew96 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for the great tips - of the non-hairy yarns mentioned, i've only tried the Paton (worked out perfectly for a sufi hat i made doublestranded - not hairy, no stitches showing and just stiff enough) and Cascade 220
which i personally don't like - too much stitch definition for my tasted on most things but which might work well if i was using cables for example and wanted some of the stitches showing - it did however create a nice stiff result.

Carol, love your bags and other felted items - I think you have a bunch of new things which i hadn't seen before - would you mind citing one or two examples of which items were made with each of the yarns you have tried if you already have handy photos up?

it would be great to be able to look at the photos and get a better idea of what the resulting felted "fiber" looks like - thanks in advance

Mean People S*ck
JW
iphotos:http://web.mac.com/suziew96/iWeb/Site/
Go to Top of Page

Ranch
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  1:58:46 PM  Show Profile Send Ranch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love my Cormo. Its long staple rely locks in and it felts FAST. But I'm parshel so.... :)

the blessed gifts of an artasen are what tye our genertions togethere
Go to Top of Page

Bristolknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2007 :  10:56:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bristolknits's Homepage Send Bristolknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Suziew96...sorry for delayed response.
Here goes:
The Penelope Bag in brown was knit with Webs' Northampton, and the pink and grey with Patons.
Merry Minis knit with Nature Spun Sport, and Classic Elite 150 (a dk yarn).
Lattice and Loops: blue-Cascade, pink- Nature Spun worsted and Patons for turquoise.
Holiday Trio: blue- Lambs Pride Bulky, Red-Galway, Green-cascade and the turquoise ruffle candy dish used Noro Kureyon for ruffle.
Essex Tote: cranberry color Lambs Pride bulky, Turquoise-Galway,Striped-Cascade 220.
Autumn Duo bowls-Patons and Lambs Pride
Caitlin's Clutch-Cascade 220 and Twilleys Freedom Spirit, Lambs Pride black, Cascade for little girls purse.
Pumpkins: used Cascade 220, prefer Lambs Pride or Cascade Pastaza, here fuzziness is a good look!
Fling Bag: Noro Kureyon, Cascade and Patons.
Picot Vases: & Rose Bowl: Lambs Pride
Spring Ruffles: Cascade 220
Quick to Felt: Patons (blue), Cascade 220 pink tea caddy, Nested Bowls-Patons, and combination of Noro Kureyon and Galway for the gold color mesa bowl,
The Poinsettias were knit with Cascade 220

I am going to knit a sedona bowl with some absolutely lovely yarn I purchased from the http://spinningbunny.com and will post a picture soon.
I've knit the bowls with Manos and Malabrigo also, but descriptions above are what are pictured.

Happy Felting to all!

Carol in Vermont

http://vtknitter.blogspot.com
http://carolbristoldesigns.com
Go to Top of Page

Birdie Mom
Chatty Knitter

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2007 :  5:49:52 PM  Show Profile Send Birdie Mom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My remedy for stitch definition is to randomly knit and purl - it breaks up the rows that appear with all of one or the other. Another thing that helps is to carry along a strand of very light weight wool in another color - I use left over needlepoint wool from another life.I do vote for Cascade 220, especially the Quartro mixtures.

Birdie Mom
Go to Top of Page

Seabright
New Pal

Canada
11 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  09:36:50 AM  Show Profile Send Seabright a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I get most of my yarn via Elann.com ... the pictures are great and the prices v.g. even including shipping.
I really like the peruvian yarn - both the aran and the chunky. It felts beautifully and the colour range is amazing.

pat from seabright
Go to Top of Page

aprilshowers
Chatty Knitter

295 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  10:58:12 AM  Show Profile Send aprilshowers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really like the Brown Sheep Company's Nature Spun and Lamb's Pride.
Go to Top of Page

gulf knitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
737 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  10:58:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit gulf knitter's Homepage Send gulf knitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ella Rae Classic felts beautifully, and is well priced. Sarah.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?