Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Left-handed knitting
 Weird Leftie (knit right-handed)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

boothacus
New Pal

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2007 :  6:37:59 PM  Show Profile Send boothacus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Telling anyone they "can't" do anything is just plain wrong. It's just a sign of insecurity and petty jealousy if you ask me and I know you didn't but... Even if you didn't show an ability which you obviously do, the comment wasn't meant to do anything but be mean. It is true, we left handed people are slightly more prone to learning disabilities but also given a little extra smarts to compensate or overcome them. I'm a firm believe that anyone can do almost anything though it might be tougher for some, and that half the time all that is really needed is encouragement to get over the rough spots. So I say Knit on darlin' and the surprise might be that someone such as yourself who is so into the true love and history of a subject are an inspiration to others, get more out of it, and are often asked to share their love (such as one woman shows on occasion) because they so shine, have their hearts in the right place and don't have an agenda. My knitted hats off to you Nita! Long may you knit and take the utmost pleasure in it. Believe me, people can tell the difference and that makes your knitting so much more special if you ask me!

--Sarah.
After all, Scarlet, tomorrow IS another day.
Go to Top of Page

CalamityKat
Warming Up

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2007 :  10:02:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit CalamityKat's Homepage Send CalamityKat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think it's uncommon for a leftie to knit "right-handed"---I do, and I know a few others who do so, too. In fact, I've only seen one person knit left-handed (although I have recently learned to knit backwards rather than purl, and I found it very easy, so perhaps I can now say that I *do* knit left-handed). I think because it's a two-handed activity, handedness isn't really an issue in knitting.

My experience has been that handedness doesn't matter in all activities, I think due to variables in complexity of fine motor movements required, whether or not both hands are used, the age at which I learned (or tried to learn), and the availability of left-adapted equipment.

In tennis, badminton, baseball and fencing, I am ambidextrous. I started right-handed because my teachers were right-handed, but in all those sports a left-handed player has an advantage over most opponents, so I had incentive to switch over as soon as I could. Even so, the ambidexterity was helpful for resting tired hands and arms. However, my being left-handed did make it oddly harder to learn the standard maneuvers of fencing (such as a parry 4) because I would forget to reverse directions and instead of guarding my torso would open it wide for attack. ;-) I had to become ambidextrous in shooting because the grips on most firearms are righthanded; however, I actually found it makes no difference how I hold the weapon or pull the trigger as long as I use my leading eye (my left) to aim.

In playing handed musical instruments (cello, violin, guitar, etc.), it is actually the left hand doing the more complex work when they are played "righthanded", so perhaps I had an advantage in learning over the righthanders that would explain my rapid progress in these instruments.

In handwriting, I am absolutely left-handed. I had to write with my right hand when I broke my left wrist in third grade, but my printing was still mostly illegible when the cast finally came off.

I learned to cut right-handed because most of the world's scissors are right-handed, but it required practice.

In embroidery I am right-handed because my right-handed mother taught me to do it and I was old enough to deal; a few years earlier, I utterly failed to learn to hand-sew because my Blue Birds leader tried to make me do it right-handed and I couldn't make my right hand do the fine movements needed.

Learning to crochet, I appear to be very strongly left-handed. I only began to make any progress at all when I realized I should watch the hook and yarn, front on, not the teacher's hands.

Frances
Illegitimi non carborundum.
Go to Top of Page

Ratbag
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
318 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2007 :  1:57:35 PM  Show Profile Send Ratbag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The more people type, the more I'm grateful I had parents who insisted on me being who & what I am (leftie or rightie wise). Ok, Mam teases & Dad has been known to take knifes off me - he says I look like I'm going to slice my fingers/wrist.

It also proves what I truely believe, nothing is impossible - you can do anything you want, when you put your mind to it.

I just wish the schools I attended taught me to use a fountain pen, instead of telling me it wasn't possible & placed a biro in my hand :-( I know that's going off topic.

One final note, never let the beggers grind you down.

Sandra

I didn't lose my mind, it was mine to give away.
Go to Top of Page

Grey
Chatty Knitter

160 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  08:12:09 AM  Show Profile Send Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
People can be a little silly about the handedness issue, especially when they use the word 'can't'.

For example, I'm a right handed person who knits left-handed. How weird is that? There's no good reason for it, I just find it more comfortable, even though I do everything else (including crochet) right-handed. I can knit in the more common direction, which is really useful for doing bobbles and short rows.

Understanding is a three-edged sword
Go to Top of Page

Nitaks2
Warming Up

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  08:46:40 AM  Show Profile Send Nitaks2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha! Us lefties are doubly blessed! Think of it like this- the left hand side of the body is controlled by the right side of the brain,right? So, that means we got a double whammy! - In so far as the right side of our brains are the dominant,and, that's where the creativity stuff is housed in the brain...SO, not only are we unique, we're also doubly blessed!

Oh,and as for that stepmother of mine? After I got over being hurt combined with good and angry, I decided I'd just enjoy the creative process and let it take me where ever it wanted to...just to see where it would take me..and so far, it ain't half bad!! (Especially when I get my paws on an antique or vintage stitch pattern, and some really pretty yarn...then, I'm as happy as a lark...- usually I can't wait to see how the stitches and colors come alive...usually,it's a pretty cool thing to see happen before my very eyes!)

Nita
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  11:00:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This whole thread makes me laugh. My boss at the yarn store is left-handed and I'm right-handed and we both knit "opposite". We had each learned to crochet in our youth, and according to our handedness, and when we later learned to knit, found holding the yarn in the hand we were "used" to holding it in made more sense.

Anyway, we always have a chuckle at the store when one of the customers asks if I'm left-handed!

-WendyM[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/smallspindlepic.gif[/IMG]
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Knit, Spin, and Crochet at Yarnivore!
Go to Top of Page

jenlyon60
Chatty Knitter

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  08:16:06 AM  Show Profile Send jenlyon60 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never thought about it that way, but I also learned to crochet before I learned to knit. And I crochet left-handed, so I'm holding the yarn in my right hand when I crochet.

quote:
This whole thread makes me laugh. My boss at the yarn store is left-handed and I'm right-handed and we both knit "opposite". We had each learned to crochet in our youth, and according to our handedness, and when we later learned to knit, found holding the yarn in the hand we were "used" to holding it in made more sense.

Some of my Knitting
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9210915@N05/?saved=1
Go to Top of Page

Nitaks2
Warming Up

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  11:42:21 AM  Show Profile Send Nitaks2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jenlyon60

I never thought about it that way, but I also learned to crochet before I learned to knit. And I crochet left-handed, so I'm holding the yarn in my right hand when I crochet.

quote:

Some of my Knitting
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9210915@N05/?saved=1

I'm the same way...I just go with what works for me...( I tried continental...and boy did that feel strange..sort of like trying to write right handed...ugh..never again..)

Nita
Go to Top of Page

eepster
Seriously Hooked

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  10:57:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit eepster's Homepage Send eepster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm naturally ambidextrous (I'm mostly right handed by training though.) I knit back and forth too. When knitting flat stockinette I start by knitting continental right handed and when I get to the end instead of turning and purling I just knit left handed english back.

{o,o}
./)_)
.." "
Jen
http://www.buddhabellyart.com/
http://www.cafepress.com/buddhabellyart
Go to Top of Page

tink_r_bell
Chatty Knitter

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  12:41:09 PM  Show Profile Send tink_r_bell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lefties unite! I used to play golf (horribly) right handed, I have always played tennis left handed (that spin is wicked!), eat, write, think left handed. I am always right, not to mention in my right mind! I could not teach my sons how to tie their shoes, but my DH could, and they did graduate from kindergarten (29 and 24 YO respectively now). I am the only lefty in my family for generations. I shamelessly play on my left handedness: screw drivers and bottle tops go the wrong way, could you help please, bat bat bat! And (wait for it...) I knit right handed because 25 years ago that was what my LSO taught. I do sometimes knit backwards, but only after a glass of wine (red please) and a bit of inattention!

Steph ;-}

To err is human, just try not to over do it.
Go to Top of Page

knittingrunner
Seriously Hooked

USA
809 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  2:58:11 PM  Show Profile Send knittingrunner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fabulous volley!
Add me to the lefthanded, ambi, righthanded list!

I knit right handed.

I'm lefthanded for writing and most dominant things like carrying, lifting, etc.

Perhaps this is why I have such difficulties with crochet?!
...I'd bat, golf and play hockey with my right hand/side...

Runner who knits: knitter who runs
Go to Top of Page

Ruby Plaid
Seriously Hooked

USA
661 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  12:46:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ruby Plaid's Homepage Send Ruby Plaid a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a leftie; I throw with my left hand. Other than that I knit rightie. It doesn't matter if you're weird--in a good way, of course--as long as your stuff looks like it should!

My sassy knitting blog is here: http://www.rubyplaid.com
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  5:07:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If what I am doing only uses 1 hand then I'm left. However I knit, eat with a knife and fork and other stuff I learnt as a kid that requires 2 hands the same way as a RH person.

Mum also knits right handed but holds the wool in her left hand which looks strange to me. Nana taught me to knit so that I could knit 'properly' according to my Mum.

I can do the purls by knitting back but unlike Sandra I knit into the back on the purl row so the knit row is normal. If I'm doing stocking stitch I often don't turn the work but if it's a combination of knit and purl I do.

Wen

2007 stats: 5 FO, too many WIP, 1 frogpond.
http://photos.yahoo.com/whdayus
Go to Top of Page

schrafinator
Chatty Knitter

332 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  05:04:59 AM  Show Profile Send schrafinator a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a fairly ambidextrous leftie who knits and crochets right-handed. I was initially taught to knit left handed by a leftie knitter, but then just taught myself to knit right handed becasue it was just so much easier than trying to adapt patterns and switch everything in books, etc.

I throw/catch/use a raquet leftie but bat/golf rightie. I can use a knife and fork "american" or "continental" equally comfortably, but when chopping or slicing with a big chef's knife I am very much left handed. When I was little I used left-handed scissors but quickly learned to use right-handed ones and now using left handed ones feels strange. Chopsticks are for my left hand only. :)

I can use a computer mouse that is set up for right or left-handed use with only a slight loss of coordination with the former.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?