Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning gadgets and accessories
 A good skein winder
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Marni
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  10:49:02 AM  Show Profile Send Marni a Private Message  Reply with Quote
how can you spin for a living? I would LOVE to be able to do that!
Go to Top of Page

Noli
Chatty Knitter

231 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  12:43:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Noli's Homepage  Send Noli a Yahoo! Message Send Noli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Um, get really good and build a reputation for quality yarns? Give lessons while you're at it? Well, I guess I mean sell lessons?

http://spinningonadime.blogspot.com Blog about how to build a spinning wheel from found parts...Video of the flyer in action Yay!

http://rubiesandpurls.blogspot.com Mostly knitting blog...Currently featuring: How to use color theory when dying with Kool-Aid. It's how to mute the colors and easy tidbits for making colors pop!
Go to Top of Page

Chappysmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

519 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  6:46:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chappysmom's Homepage Send Chappysmom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must say, this topic came up just in time. I was JUST starting to look at skein winders after seeing a friend's in action over the weekend. Thank you for the great tips! Off to web-browse-shop now . . .

Deb in NJ
http://chappysmom.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

Manasi
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
297 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  7:53:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manasi's Homepage Send Manasi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
natashafialkov
I have the same problem with tables at home. Which is why I got the 'stand-alone' winder. I've still to steady it a little (it wobbles) but at least i don't have to worry about clamping & unclamping.

My blog: http://yarnahoy.blogspot.com/
My yarns: http://yarnahoy.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  10:42:46 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you already have one of the Swedish umbrella type swifts made of wood you might want to consider getting one of these...

http://www.camillavalleyfarm.com/pics/leclerc/wb007big.jpg

I bought mine last year and it's one of the best things I ever added to my collection. It accommodates the my Swedish swift and my little Japanese swift (reel)perfectly. It also holds my bobbin winder for weaving.

It takes less space than it looks like it should, it's nice to look at, doesn't wobble when I'm winding and holds lots of little tools and skeins while I'm working with it. You can also wind together two or three other yarns onto a single ball because of the bobbin rack on the side and the holes that you thread the yarns through (not visible in this picture).

It's not cheap, but it's worth saving for if you like things to be neat, organized and at the ready. I hate having to set up things every time I want to use them. I wish I'd bought one much sooner.

Trish
Go to Top of Page

Manasi
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
297 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  07:37:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manasi's Homepage Send Manasi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Feorlen
great idea about the clear nail polish!
My fricke skeiner pegs seem to flake a little & i'd got wood chips stuck in my fingers on more than a couple of occassions. Also my silk blend yarns tend to catch on the roughness. I shall use the clear nail polish now.
BTW, it's been a few months since i've been using the skeiner & the counter's all scre*ed up. I don't know what's wrong - the numbers don't change as they should & I end up counting wrong. No response from Carolina Homespun [**]
Anywho. I'm off to look for another counter soon.

My blog: http://yarnahoy.blogspot.com/
My yarns: http://yarnahoy.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Yuki
New Pal

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  3:57:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yuki's Homepage Send Yuki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm considering buying the Will Taylor skein winder. Do you put it on the table or floor when you wind from the wheel?

Also, has anybody tried the Clamp-On variety?

Thanks,
Yuki

Yuki
Brooklyn Bee
Go to Top of Page

petiteflower
Chatty Knitter

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  1:25:57 PM  Show Profile Send petiteflower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Yuki, I have the Will Taylor skeinwinder, the freestanding one. It can be placed wherever you want. If you want to stand while using it, then set it up on a table. If you want to sit, then put it on the floor. I think it is worth the few extra dollars to get the freestanding model, because if you get the clamp-on model, you must have it clamped to something to use it. You loose the versitility. With the freestanding one you could take it out in the yard if you wanted. or anywhere at all. It is very stable.

And another good thing about this skeinwinder is that you can use it as a swift too. Mine has been getting a lot of use as a swift lately because a friend and I are working at adding more twist to a bunch of her beginner skeins. We are having to wind her skeins into balls so they can be run through the spinning wheel again. It's easy as pie to pop a skein onto the skeinwinder, adjust the skeinwinder to fit the skein, and then set the skeinwinder on the floor next to the table where I have the ball winder set up. my friend is winding the skeins into balls while I run the balls of yarn through the spinning wheel. Then she winds the yarn from the bobbins back into skeins. Just two left to do, next time the temperature gets back up in the double digits and she feels like venturing forth into the winter wonderland.
Go to Top of Page

GaiaDea
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  01:58:22 AM  Show Profile Send GaiaDea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hate to sound stupid, but why aren't you running the skeins back through the wheel straight from the skeinwinder/swift?

GaiaDea
Go to Top of Page

petiteflower
Chatty Knitter

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  3:30:26 PM  Show Profile Send petiteflower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah yes, good question. The amount of force that it takes to rotate the loaded skeinwinder would have had me pulling the yarn from it under a bit more tension than I would have liked for plying. And even if the tension were ideal, it would not have remained consistant, because I knew that while I was plying I was going to slow down in spots and then speed back up, and every fluctuation like that would cause the skeinwinder to give a little jerk on the yarn as it in turn slowed down and then regained its momentum. This would all be too much interference for a job that demanded a vigorous take-up of the yarn seeing as I was only adding twist to already plied yarn and I didn't need to be inserting very many twists per inch. Working from a neatly wound ball was very smooth sailing for this job. It's not much trouble or time to wind a skein into a ball if you have a ballwinder.

Go to Top of Page

theShizzKnit
New Pal

28 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  07:27:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit theShizzKnit's Homepage Send theShizzKnit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the link to the oregon wood swiftwinder! I have been wanting a skeinwinder but couldn't find one that was portable and adjustable. The oregon wood is perfect for my purposes.
Go to Top of Page

debl
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  10:20:38 AM  Show Profile Send debl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by petiteflower

I have a nice infinitely adjustable (up to 2 yard circumference) skein winder that I bought from carolinahomespun.com. The maker's name is Will Taylor. It is beatifully made, and you can choose from several types of wood. Mine is walnut. My skeinwinder can also be used as a swift, because with the infinite adjustability, you can adjust it to hold any size skein. It was very reasonably priced, I choose the freestanding model which was around $80. There is a model that clamps onto a table that is a little cheaper.

Believe me, a niddy noddy will be eating any skeinwinder's dust!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.81 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?