Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Things we do Besides Knitting
 Career Talk
 Support for those looking for work
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  6:18:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking that one of the things that helps many folks who are job searching is having others to talk to. It seems with the economy and unemployment as bad as they are that a little support can be a good thing and go a good long way. So I am not looking for work, at the moment, but remember how it is and maybe I can help support someone to get work in these times.

I saw at least a couple of our community that are looking and wanted to see if we could start a thread to support those that are looking....

So let's start like this:

Tell us what you do/did, what you're looking for and what has been useful for you in your search, and maybe sharing ideas will make things easier for each other.

And who knows there might be some connections made on KR!

Many of you know that I had two layoffs in 2007, I used LinkedIn, Monster and Dice to find positions, but it took a consulting firm to propose working for my current firm to get me to go to current firm's jobs site and apply for my current position.

PattiG
Permanent Resident

1119 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  7:54:05 PM  Show Profile Send PattiG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a freelance writer, and I am ALWAYS looking for work. Last year was good for me. This year ... not so much. I follow up on every lead, even if I am skeptical that it will lead to a paying gig.

I try to do a networking meet-for-coffee at least once every other week. I contact people I've never met via e-mail if I think their publication might be right for me, and that's how I've gotten two of my best clients. I also mention to friends what I do and gently suggest they might mention me to someone in their communications department. In short ... ain't too proud to beg.

There are some things I have not done. I haven't set up a Web site promoting myself and my work. I just don't want to fool with it/pay for it. I am sure there are other things I could be doing, but my time is limited and I do have to do actual work if I want to get paid.

The best advice I got was to look for work even when you don't need work. I have to push myself to do it, but I think it has kept me working through the droughts.

Best,

PattiG
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  9:30:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I second the "ain't too proud to beg" idea, even though it's REALLY difficult for me. I've mentioned my finding-work troubles to people I'd NEVER have spoken to about such things otherwise, and they've been surprisingly helpful and supportive! Sadly, nothing's quite panned out yet, but they've given me a lot more opportunities to look into than I would have found on my own.

I'm currently dealing with TWO temp/employment agencies (I'm going to Basic Training - Air Force - probably this summer, so I can't comfortably accept any long-term employment atm), plus searching sites like CareerBuilder.com (and others) and there is just NOTHING here right now. I'm seriously considering taking some friends' not-so-subtle hints and moving back down to LA - more offices in a Big City, right?

Gone Crazy, Back Soon
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

Chemcats
Permanent Resident

3337 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  02:38:11 AM  Show Profile Send Chemcats a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is one thing that was done locally. A man was layed off from a semi-conductor company that went 'bankrupt.' (I know I didn't use ", the company doesn't deserve " only ') He had a good background, and just could not find work at all. So he took out a large ad in the Richmond <Va.> Times Dispatch, about 1/4 of the page, and had his resume printed! He got a call the next day and was hired on the spot.

Kadiddly, you're joining the Air Force?? Did I read that right?!!!

Meribeth
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  11:28:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You did read that right, but the answer is "sort of." =)

I'm enlisted in the California Air National Guard. So I get Air Force training and benefits (GI Bills, enlistment bonuses, experience, etc.) but can still be a civilian most of the time and have the majority of control over where I get stationed (currently Vandenberg AFB). The odds of my unit getting deployed overseas are nil, since the only thing we do we CAN only do at VAFB (maybe Colorado Springs, but that'd be kinda pointless to deploy to).

Gone Crazy, Back Soon
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

Chemcats
Permanent Resident

3337 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2009 :  01:19:14 AM  Show Profile Send Chemcats a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, I feel a little better. Vandenberg? Cool! Lots of hard to get fiber, good food, good beer. Can I come too?

Meribeth
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2009 :  11:33:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL! I love VAFB - it's so beautiful and we do the coolest stuff there! Food's good, even at the dining hall! Good wine (I'm not much of a beer drinker, but the Brewery in Buellton is pretty good) and yeah, lots of ranches with really cute fibery animals! I'm a lucky girl!

Now just to get a job...

Gone Crazy, Back Soon
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

HoJo
Permanent Resident

USA
1474 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2009 :  6:11:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit HoJo's Homepage Send HoJo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've worked full time since I was 16 (when I graduated high school), including working full time while going to college. As a manager, I had the unfortunate job of laying off staff and then I helped them with referrals and networking with my friends. It never bothered me to ask for someone else, but as I'm experiencing my first layoff; find it hard to do for myself.

I'm on linkedin, facebook and dice, but find even when my resume would appear to be an exact match; I don't get any response unless there is a personal recommendation from someone within the company or who knows the hiring manger directly.

My main problem now, is 'too much' experience - I get the "you wouldn't want to do this grunt" (for a paycheck I would) or "you wouldn't be happy with this job for long" (I did the VP thing, I really want to be an individual contributor now, but try to convince someone that it is what I want - I don't want to be on the road 3 weeks out of every 4). Or, of course, that what they are offering for 10 years of experience is less than what I was making 10 years ago - and I took a huge paycut with the full time job at IBM last year. Any suggestions as to how to respond (without sounding totally desparate - which makes them think I'll leave as soon as I find something else)? Honestly, I just want a job that pays the mortgage and allows me weekends to work at the store.

Very frustrating......

OTOH, my customers at the yarn store have been very supportive and a number have offered to send in my resume.

HoJo

Visit us at: www.fullthreadahead.com
Yarn for the mind, body, and soul

My blog: www.fullthreadahead.com/blog
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2009 :  6:24:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No suggestions, but when you figure it out, pass on the knowledge? I've been running into the "You're overqualified for the entry level jobs but you don't have enough experience for the non-entry level jobs" quite a bit lately. I'd just be happy with ANYTHING that gives me something to do and pays right now! I'm really trying to focus on looking for just a temporary job right now and seeing if that helps my chances at all.

Gone Crazy, Back Soon
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2009 :  05:58:12 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One I used several times:

"I know I have experience as CEO but I also have a family. I am looking for something that will allow me more time with them and less devotion to running a company. I learned so much as CEO that would allow me to be an even better employee. I am not interested in competing for someone else's job, I just want to work in my field,support my superiors and concentrate on my family."

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1682 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2009 :  10:38:11 AM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DS found out today that the company he has worked for for 7 years is filing for bankruptcy this week. He is understandaby upset. He is a draftsman and plans to take anything he can get, he also has been taking welding classes. Hard to know what to say. At this point, he's just numb.
judy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?