Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Boys Who Knit
 Project for boys, aged 9 to 11
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

miele
Chatty Knitter

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  3:14:33 PM  Show Profile Send miele a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello all,
Everyone at KR has been so helpful before, when I had questions about teaching...well now I am teaching a bunch of kids, aged 4th grade and up, in a public library program. (I am a Librarian). I plan to do a week of one and a half hour sessions, like a Knitting Camp.Projects have to be fast and easy...I am thinking a treasure pouch (4 by 7 rectange, sew up sides, put in drawstrings, add pony beads), a bookmark, a Beanie Baby sweater (two squares, sew together). The kids also will be making needles with dowels and polymer clay.My question is what else can I do to encourage boys to sign up? I am going to do a big display with knitted samples. What else will encourage boys to sign up?
Thank you for your input!
Ellen

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  6:34:23 PM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My brother's entire 4th or 5th grade class learned to knit as an art project. They all made huge hats that were then felted and donated to charity. He loved it! He is now in junior high and still knitting. He thought the felting part was really cool, his ended up too big,, but still thoguht it was really funny to make a ginormous hat and watch it shrink to something almost wearable. Might also teach them a life lesson for later, "Why not to wash (future) wife's cashmere sweater in the washer!"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/squeeks76/
Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  9:39:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would also say hats. They teach more techniques, and can be done in a bunch of ways. Those who aren't ready to learn decreases don't have to. I like having kids make their own needles. That is fun. And any felted project, as Mindy said, is a lot of fun for kids. Small animals are also great, and not really all that hard.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

[img]http://members.cox.net/blwinteler/th_TeamVegas2.jpg[/img]

Not all Dumbs are Blonde.
[img]http://www.survivor-online.co.uk/images/pots/pot003.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2008 :  06:09:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
my grandson wanted to make hacky-sacks when he was 9 and a friend who works as a para-educator at the local high school says the high school students keep asking her to crochet hacky-sacks for them; instead she challenges them to learn to make their own.

Keep knitting, this too shall pass.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?