Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Left-handed knitting
 Gusset help on sock
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cheerleader9
Permanent Resident

USA
1563 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2007 :  11:40:16 AM  Show Profile Send Cheerleader9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm stuck again[crazy] Sarakate are you there Directions are: K2 tog K1, place marker. Do number of stitches and then K1, SSK.
Question again is: Do I need to switch the 2 and do the SSK first and then the K2 Tog? The dumbest question is: Do these stitches go straight up or are they suppose to slant a certain direction

I know that after I finish this one sock I'll be able to see what the heck I'm doing[:00]
Barb in AZ

YarnAndCoffee
Seriously Hooked

786 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2007 :  12:57:19 PM  Show Profile Send YarnAndCoffee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No no -- just follow the directions. The K2tog with slant one way, and the SSK will slant the other, and then the two sides of the sock will be mirror images of each other (which is what you want). Do it in exactly the order that it says. And it will all work out like magic!

-Elizabeth in Alabama
Go to Top of Page

denmark
Gabber Extraordinaire

377 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2007 :  1:27:03 PM  Show Profile Send denmark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your SSK decreases will look less "wonky" if you knit thru the back loop of your SSK stitch on the next (non-decrease) row. Just a tip I picked up on KR about 10 socks ago!

Beth
Go to Top of Page

sarakate
Seriously Hooked

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2007 :  1:32:04 PM  Show Profile Send sarakate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hah! I knew I should have just gone ahead and told you what to do when you got to the gussets. :)

You don't need to switch. As we established when we were talking about this last time, your K2tog and SSK slant the opposite way from those of an unmirrored knitter. However, you're also moving around the tube of fabric in the opposite direction. The two opposites cancel each other out, sort of like a double negative, with the end result that you just keep the same decreases that the pattern calls for.

To let you check your work, gusset decreases on a sock slant toward the sole of the foot. They're also strong decreases, which means that the same column of stitches will be the "survivor" (the one that ends up on top of the decrease) every time you do them, giving you a nice clear straight line of decreases.
Go to Top of Page

Cheerleader9
Permanent Resident

USA
1563 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2007 :  2:28:56 PM  Show Profile Send Cheerleader9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok dear ones, I got the word to proceed as directed by a righthanded author Beth, you'll have to tell me what "wonky" looks like[:00] Do not want my first sock to look wonky. Great hint. Elizabeth, is there really a word "magic" when doing socks I'll get back to you all when the magic starts Thank you Sarakate. I knew you were there somewhere waiting for my next question

One final question..Are you all lefties?
Barb in AZ
Go to Top of Page

Cheerleader9
Permanent Resident

USA
1563 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  05:50:48 AM  Show Profile Send Cheerleader9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all. I posted a note over on the sock forum thanking you for your help and boasting about my first sock I'm sure I'll be checking back in when I get to the toe You're right Elizabeth. It is magic
Barb in AZ
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?