Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Boys Who Knit
 Easy first jumper pattern
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Scottishboy
New Pal

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  04:12:07 AM  Show Profile Send Scottishboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello

I'm fairly new to knitting, can do straightforward knit and purl and can do socks on DPNS and maic loop method. What I've never tried is a big project such as a jumper and would like to try this. Does anyone have an easy plain pattern with clear instructions that I could try and any hints/pointers to prevent any mishaps!

i am in Scotland, so any translations from american abbreviations to UK would be useful although I'm sure my LYS will cope.

Thanks for any responses

Stuart

Mocha
Permanent Resident

Singapore
2903 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  07:25:05 AM  Show Profile Send Mocha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought US & UK uses the same abbreviation for knitting patterns?
Anyway, I just bought a Sirdar waistcoat pattern and it's simple enough to follow.

Why don't you check with LYS? Sirdar is very well known in UK. Alternatively you can surf to lionbrand.com or knittingpatterncentral.com or knittinghelp.com
Go to Top of Page

lizknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1179 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  7:58:47 PM  Show Profile Send lizknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Stuart, there's a wealth of men's patterns here and perhaps you could find one you like and would feel comfortable knitting. As you probably know, what you call a jumper, we in the US call a pullover.

If you do find one and you run into problems or have questions, posting on these forums is a great way to get assistance and advice. So don't feel alone; there are plenty of people here who would be happy to guide you through your first jumper.

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Scott Adams, 'The Dilbert Principle'
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  8:28:27 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Stuart! Here are 4 pages of men's sweaters/jumpers for you, some with English instructions, most with American.

http://tinyurl.com/26yxjw

It's worth a look, and they're all free!

Trish
Go to Top of Page

Scottishboy
New Pal

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  11:23:57 AM  Show Profile Send Scottishboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi

Thanks for the responses, will have a look through these pages and then have a visit to the LYS and see what I fancy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe