Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Completion Issues?
 The sweater that doesn't want to be
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1802 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2014 :  3:06:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have attempted the same pattern twice and have frogged it twice. I guess, because I'm a Combination knitter, my seed stitch hipband comes out wider than the stockinette/cables body so that the hipband rolls. I'm thinking of decreasing stitches in the hipband and then adding them to the first body row. BUT, I have no time to see this through at the moment, so the yarn sits.

To add insult to injury, I purchased the same yarn for the same pattern TWICE. (Senior moment!) so I've got more yarn than I can stand for a pullover vest I can't seem to get going on.

Woe is me.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3989 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2014 :  04:43:34 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I laugh and feel your pain at the same time.

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1802 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2014 :  08:07:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, it's some of both, isn't it? Lol!

Ceil
Go to Top of Page

Janettoo
Warming Up

64 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2014 :  9:53:10 PM  Show Profile Send Janettoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a combination knitter too, but what does that have to do with seed stitch coming out wider? It sounds like you have a tension problem somewhere. You could try to figure out how to improve your tension, or you could go to a smaller needle size for the seed stitch.

Janet in TN
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1802 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2014 :  9:13:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let me try again, because I don't remember much with the sweater being frogged! It seems the vertical length of the seed st areas were coming out shorter than the st st areas. Maybe that is something blocking will solve, so I guess I should admit that I never washed and blocked the swatch (also frogged, in the days before I learned that swatching requires blocking). LOL, I know I have more homework to do on this before I start up again. But oh, that hipband folding up completely drives me nuts. I dont know about you, but I sure dont want to fight the garment I'm wearing. Yarn and knitting are gonna do what they're gonna do. Eventually I'll get back to the drawing board.

Ceil
Go to Top of Page

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1490 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2014 :  8:03:50 PM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, oh. You didn't wash and block your swatch? Seriously, I never did, but took a class at Stitches Midwest and did it for the first time for my deep V-neck cabled sweater in the new issue of Vogue. Am I glad I did! My stitch gauge was right on, but my row gauge was half again as long. So I skipped a cable repeat for the sweater, and it came out perfectly! EXCEPT-I finished it up, put it in some soap and water and laid it out, and discovered I did my buttonholes wrong!!! I could probably Kitchener the top buttonhole, and go with 2, but it will only be 11 rows of knitting, so when it dries, I will pull out those rows and reknit it. That is much better than what happened with my last sweater--I pulled the entire thing out, and knit something else. I bought a dressform, and have the sweater on that. When my cable dries, I will put it on the dressform for the final bit of drying, and then rip out the buttonband. At least I haven't ripped out my lace, at least so far tonight!

That is what I love about knitting--it is so forgiving of mistakes.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2014 :  10:52:20 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm trying, mightily, to get interested in sewing together a sweater that's been done for a year. I also have a half finished pink Stardust sweater from Knitty for my oldest DD, and can't drag it out of the bag, and, last but not least, the Manly Beastly Aran. I've gotten to the separated knitting for front and back and got scared. I don't want to rip out any of those blasted cables if I get this wrong! I don't know how to knit it on straights! So, there are all the dirty secrets of my UFOs. Beam me up already!

Lella

Zippiknits

"Life is good if you don't weaken." Calvin Coolidge
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1802 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2014 :  8:18:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lella,

The easiest answer to get around sewing pieces together is to knit seamlessly! I wouldn't start over at this point, but next time! You'll need to determine if a whole stitch is the seam allowance, or if it's a half stitch, and then multiply either one by 4 and subtract the number you get from the total in the circumference as determined by the pattern.

As for the Aran sweater, just use different circs for front and back.

Ceil
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe