Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Worst Project Nightmare
 Trying to run before I could walk!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

irishfisherman
New Pal

Ireland
6 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  09:55:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit irishfisherman's Homepage Send irishfisherman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got into knitting a few months ago and started to think this was easy after a few scarves haha big mistake!

I attempted this http://www.aransweatermarket.com/clan-aran-sweaters/murphy and really put me off knitting for a while even with a pattern I made a complete mess of it.

Do you need some skill to knit at this level. I'm back to knitting socks for a while.

The History of our Forefathers is woven into our being

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3989 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  12:00:20 PM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a gorgeous sweater! Start with a small baby/child's sweater with simpler cable pattern - that will help you learn cabling and sweater shaping on a small project.

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Go to Top of Page

lucybug
Chatty Knitter

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  12:13:35 PM  Show Profile Send lucybug a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! That is a beautiful sweater. If you haven't knit a sweater yet, there is a lot to learn in one project. You may want to start with a simple sweater -- maybe a stockinette -- so you can learn the basics of sweater construction. My first Aran project was an afghan. I only had to think about the cabling etc and not worry about the other components. Just my suggestion.

Pam in the Colorado mountains
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4166 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  6:24:19 PM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, there's a lot going on there--four different cable patterns that I can see and no 'resting' areas (those places where we can give ourselves a break with stockinette). WHy not try a sweater with just one cable pattern and get used to cables?

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

auntlinda
Chatty Knitter

USA
199 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2014 :  4:00:55 PM  Show Profile Send auntlinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When you're ready to give it a go again, here's what I like to do for patterns like this with a lot going on:

I write each row on a 5" by 8" card. Number each card, and when you write it out, separate it into sections so that, for example, you write out the first cable, then leave some blank space. Then write out the next cable, leave some blank space. Etc.

It takes forever to write out - but it's so worth it.

I usually punch a hole in the top corner of the cards and put them on one of those locking circle things (like the circle in a binder) to keep them in order. Then I keep a rubber band around it when I'm not knitting so I know where I am when I pick up my knitting again.

This might help you - it sure did me!

~Linda
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2014 :  12:45:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sometimes things will go easier if you take some of your left over yarn and make practice squares until you get the feel for the pattern. Once you are familiar with each pattern you can easily spot a problem, should one rear its ugly head. The pattern is beautiful and I'd love to have it, but I don't normally buy kits. I guess I should just design my own. The site has some wonderful sweaters to choose from!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe