Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Ease
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2014 :  06:51:27 AM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I understand the basics of ease. Negative ease means the sweater will be smaller than you, and positive means that the sweater will be bigger than you.

What always confuses me is how to pick the size to knit. If I want to knit a sweater that has an intended ease of +2 inches, do I choose a size 2 inches larger, or is the ease built into the size?

many thanks for any guidance.

emmyc
winchester ma

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1796 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2014 :  07:07:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Usually the pattern tells you by giving both the person's chest size and the finished chest size. Subtract one from the other, and there's the amount of ease built in.

What really drove me nuts last year was a magazine that gave the person's chest size with remarks like "plenty of easy." What does THAT mean? I went over to Ravely, found the designer and asked her. The magazine is now including numbers of inches for ease.

On top of this be sure to swatch and block the swatch. If you want a bigger sweater, you get it with as little as a quarter stitch larger per inch (or 2).

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2014 :  07:32:40 AM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ceil, thanks so much!

emmyc
winchester ma
Go to Top of Page

weeza
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  05:58:57 AM  Show Profile Send weeza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I concur with Ceil and also remind all of us--this means me--to never rely on the styling a pattern producer/designer offers. Models are lovely but a few well-hidden pins, pulls, and poses can lead us astray; distracting scenery is seductive too. Rely on the measurements--size, schematics, and swatch--for the results you seek.

Weeza
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4165 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  08:02:28 AM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Find a sweater where you love the fit. Measure it. And then measure yourself. That will help you in the future figure out what size to knit.

I personally don't want to wear a sweater with 'negative ease' in my chest size, so I always knit a bigger size. I also don't want something with like six inches of positive ease, since I'm a bit on the big size and I don't necessarily want something that makes me look bigger.

The end product may not fit me like it does the model, but I generally feel more comfortable.

Some designers might feel it 'messes up the lines' of the sweater but there's no use spending all that time knitting something that you feel uncomfortable in.

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

crazyknits
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  1:28:19 PM  Show Profile Send crazyknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I totally agree with measuring, swatching, and allowing for a little comfort room. The sweaters I have seen modeled lately with gaps between buttonholes don't do it for me. They look like someone did not take the time to do their measuring and swatching to insure a sweater that fits nicely. The whole point of hand knitting a sweater is optimum yarn, color, and fit. Otherwise, why not just buy one off the rack?
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2603 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  3:18:01 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
crazyknits, this is one of my pet peeves - those gaps between the buttonholes!

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

lbmd
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2014 :  04:45:29 AM  Show Profile Send lbmd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My sweaters always seem to come out a little bigger than I want - I swear I measure gauge, but many sweaters also stretch out a bit over time after wearing. Especially in rayon and some other synthetic yarns. I don't like sweaters to look baggy, so in wool I pick the lower size if I'm between two. I haven't figured out how to deal with the rayon and other fibers stretching, so I've pretty much avoided them, pretty as they are for summer. Any advice there? Or just knit two sizes smaller than you really want? That's a pretty big gamble for me with expensive yarns.
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3983 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2014 :  05:18:53 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lbmd, do you wash and dry your swatches? That will give you a more accurate swatch. If you already do that, try clipping your swatch to a hanger and letting it hang for a couple of days to let gravity work on it.

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Go to Top of Page

lbmd
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2014 :  05:52:52 AM  Show Profile Send lbmd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Donna - good ideas.
Go to Top of Page

msvantes
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2014 :  09:19:27 AM  Show Profile Send msvantes a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ibmd:
A yarn store owner in our weaving guild gave us a workshop on swatching & I learned this about using non-wool yarns:
She said to knit a really large swatch, at least 8"x 8". Measure it and then hang it up for a few days. Then measure to see how much it has sagged. Hope this helps.
Mary
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1796 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2014 :  5:51:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I took an Interweave webinar on blocking, and we were told about "killing the stitch" when blocking, a.k.a. altering the size of the stitches. After that, you never have to worry about re-blocking a piece,

Ceil
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3983 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2014 :  05:25:32 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ceil, could you give some details on "killing the stitch"? Do you mean stretching it really far when blocking? Thanks

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1796 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2014 :  9:07:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, that's essentially it.

Ceil
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2366 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2014 :  06:28:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've only ever heard "killing" in blocking used in connection with blocking acrylic. Essentially, using heat to "kill" the bounce-back quality that acrylic has, permanently setting the knitting while also making it much drapier.

Shelia
www.breezyridgestudio.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1796 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2014 :  07:35:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isn't acrylic already dead?

Ceil
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2366 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2014 :  06:48:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, Ceil, you started the talk about "killing"!

Shelia
www.breezyridgestudio.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3983 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2014 :  07:54:38 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Ceil

Donna in VA

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe