Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sweater Talk
 Need front-edge treatments for a vest
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1731 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2014 :  9:37:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is one of those times when I wish a book full of this kind of thing was available. Short of looking through 1,000 magazines:

I have three one-inch-across, round buttons that would look cool on a vest I'm designing with a longer than usual V neck, but I don't want a 2-inch wide placket on each front of the vest to support them and their large buttonholes. I wonder about a "rolled" edge of some kind that won't force both fronts to also curl, but haven't a clue how to plan it. Any ideas out there? I can't finalize the number of stitches to cast on until I figure this out!

Thanks so much!!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2014 :  7:17:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Different ideas run through my head. There are so many ways you can go. Draw a basic vest then experiment with types of closing and the texture of your stitches. Lots of drawing your ideas. Do you want a heavy or light fabric? Swatches will be your best friend. When I design for myself and friends I make swatches. I also keep the swatches, washed and blocked. You keep the swatches just in case you need the yarn to finish the project or make repairs later on.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1797 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2014 :  8:51:46 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nicky Epstien has written three books on edgings, "Knitting on the Edge" is the first.....and maybe the simplest? Schoolhouse Press website has help with I-Cord edgings of several types, and in the latest Vogue Knitting Mag, there is a stunning vest by Franklin Habit, (on page 50 ) which has interesting edgings.

It sounds to me as if the ICord edging would be good, and if you want it firmer, you could do two edges, giving more width and firmness (find the info on Schoolhouse Press .

Best of luck!

Anna

Life is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1731 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2014 :  9:59:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The one thing I haven't yet tried is an "in line" buttonhole that runs in the same direction as the placket. I don't normally use this because the buttonholes can stretch as one moves in the garment.

Now that I've slept on it, ajnother thing I'm considering is sewing each big, round buttons on one placket side with a 1/2-inch button on the WS. I can then make much smaller buttonholes on the other side of the placket for the half-inch buttons to go through. I also considered big snaps under each big button, but that would mean one half of the snap would be visible on the placket. I know I won't like that look.

And yes, I am swatching to be sure. A swatch is in process as I write.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

Janettoo
Warming Up

59 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2014 :  7:52:04 PM  Show Profile Send Janettoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I second the idea of i-cord. I have used it for front edges on cardigans and vests, and it always gets complements. You can use either a matching yarn or a contrasting color. Or both: an inner cord that contrasts and a second i-cord around it that matches. With matching yarn i-cord makes a very nice subtle edge.

It shouldn't be too hard to find instructions on how to pick up stitches and do an i-cord edge. To make the buttonholes you continue knitting the i-cord but don't attach it to the sweater front for as far as you need an opening for the button. You can also make the i-cord separately and sew it to the sweater, again not attaching it where you want the buttonholes.

On the button side, sew the buttons in place between the cord and the sweater fabric.

To put a break on rolling in a rolled edge, do one purl row.

Crochet around the edge with gaps for buttons is also an option.

Janet in TN
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?