Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 What's On Your Knitting Wish List?
 Needles
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

strandedgirl
New Pal

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2014 :  8:57:11 PM  Show Profile Send strandedgirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have recently fallen in love with hiya hiya circulars. Since I do nothing in moderation, I have set out to buy a pair in every length and size.

My name is Michelle, and I'm a yarnaholic.

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1682 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2014 :  12:01:32 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just picked up a Knitters Pride circular needle, and am very impressed! Very smooth and easy to slide the stitches along.
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
536 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2014 :  5:38:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Michelle, Hiya Hiya needles are also my favorite circulars. I have both the small and large interchangeable bamboo sets, plus many extra tips and cords. I have some fixed stainless steels, which are great, but my own preference is bamboo or wood (I have many Hiya Hiya fixed circulars, too, plus dps!).

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2753 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2014 :  6:56:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love chiagoo.

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
Go to Top of Page

strandedgirl
New Pal

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2014 :  7:49:45 PM  Show Profile Send strandedgirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will have to keep an eye out for chiagoo. Jtamsn, is knitters pride the company that makes cubics (the square needles)? I have a couple of those and love them too!

Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2014 :  09:52:01 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorites are Addi Turbo Sock Rockets. Being a very tight knitter, I find that they don't break, the yarn glides smoothly over the join, and the pointy tips are good for intricate patterns.
Go to Top of Page

strandedgirl
New Pal

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2014 :  12:38:03 PM  Show Profile Send strandedgirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice, thanks for the tips! I have a bunch more to start collecting now, my husband will be thrilled! :)

Go to Top of Page

irishfisherman
New Pal

Ireland
6 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2014 :  05:58:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit irishfisherman's Homepage Send irishfisherman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What kind of needles would you recommend, new to knitting buy planning to knit a chunky scarf with some aran wool. I need about 5mm needles right or from your experience what size is handy to go for. Does it depend on your hand size also whats comfortable?

The History of our Forefathers is woven into our being
Go to Top of Page

strandedgirl
New Pal

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2014 :  6:41:26 PM  Show Profile Send strandedgirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It won't necessarily matter with a scarf because you don't have to worry about a proper "fit", but I would stick with the yarn band recommendation until you determine how you knit (loose, tight, or exactly to gauge.) I generally have to use 1-2 sizes smaller because I knit loose.

Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1248 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2014 :  10:40:26 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Francis--No, hand size doesn't matter, and unfortunately neither does comfort when it comes to choosing needles. The needle size you choose is based on the requirements of the project, not the knitter. Like Michelle says, the ball band on the yarn you choose will have a recommended needle size. For starters, I might recommend a yarn with a relatively larger needle suggestion, like a worsted weight yarn with a size 8 needle. (Although my niece did learn on size 1's, with sock yarn, but she was 16 and had good eyes!)

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.