Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Embarrassing habits when admiring yarn
 Sqeeze and sniff
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

strandedgirl
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2014 :  8:49:15 PM  Show Profile Send strandedgirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to touch and squeeze all yarn. I also have to give it a good sniff. If the yarn isn't the right feel or has an unpleasant smell I just can't buy it, no matter how much I like how it looks.

Lovethatdog
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2014 :  05:12:59 AM  Show Profile Send Lovethatdog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to brush the yarn across my neck. If it's the slightest bit scratchy, I put it back. Doesn't matter what I plan on using it for!
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2014 :  11:06:43 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah, I'm definitely a squeeze-and-sniffer. In fact, it's so bad I find myself sniffing other people's yarn while they are knitting with it, and trying to find the woolly smell in linen or cotton!

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2014 :  09:28:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I'm definitely a yarn sniffer, and I also caress it with my neck to check softness. Actually, I find myself sniffing lots of things ... I love to sniff new knitting books as I "break" them in (remember, if you're old enough, doing that in school with new school books??). Knitting books are about the only ones I buy in non-Kindle versions anymore.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

VioletHunterHolmes
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2014 :  11:01:42 AM  Show Profile Send VioletHunterHolmes a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I squeeze the yarn. There. I said it. No, that's not the right term. Every time I find a texture I fall in love with, I swoon over it. I fondle, I caress, I nuzzle up to it. It surprises me that no one calls the men with the huggy coats. This is especially true of virgin worsted wool with high lanolin content. Yes, I am weird. I speculate. I dream of an intricate cabled sweater that makes fellow crafters swoon and hapless suitors (I wish) bay in harmony. Then again, I'm also fond of imagining a fighting knitter as a character on Doctor Who. Sounds like an oxymoron. It isn't. You can knit and throw a punch, but don't try to do both at the same time (smiles). And that's my two cents' worth on the subject.
Go to Top of Page

strandedgirl
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2014 :  07:42:01 AM  Show Profile Send strandedgirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Violet,
I love your post! And I would love to see dueling knitting character on Dr. Who. Perhaps a hero who uses their needles to combat evil. :)
Ikkivan,
I sniff things other than yarn, like books also. I kind of don't trust people that don't smell the world around them!

My name is Michelle, and I'm a yarnaholic.
Go to Top of Page

VioletHunterHolmes
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2014 :  09:48:07 AM  Show Profile Send VioletHunterHolmes a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stranded,

Thank you for enjoying my rambles. I blush. Yes, perhaps a male knitter who uses his needles, his intellect, and his biomechanical arm (the real one was shot off ages ago). Hey, the TARDIS wasn't supposed to devolve into a snog box that drops you off at different points across space and time. Lazy writing--yecch! Example of the fighting knitter in action: Doctor contracts a rare illness that turns him into a mindless berserker. Every conventional remedy is tried. Our hero, in desperation, slaps the Doctor, challenges him to a duel, and gets the virus sweated out that way. Sits down afterwards to finish the teddy bear he has hanging on double pointed needles. (Whew!)

My name is Jaenice and I'm addicted to yarn.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe