Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning Wheels
 Thinking of a Lendrum
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

unclejoey
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2014 :  5:41:06 PM  Show Profile Send unclejoey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, all. I'm thinking of ordering a new Lendrum double-treadle wheel. Opinions? I already have an older Country Craftsman Saxony-style wheel, which is great for fine singles and plying those singles, but I'm looking for something a bit more versatile. Does this fit the bill?

Joe

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2014 :  6:57:15 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a Lendrum, Uncle Joey, and I like it, it works for me. It was a great deal on a starter wheel: the wheel, three bobbins, a plying bobbin & head, and a drive band to go with them, a tensioned Kate, and a high-speed flyer for $600, I think. it was (still is?) a standard Lendrum package a few years back, not a special at the dealer I bought it from.

There were cheaper wheels, but this one felt smooth when I test-drove it, and I'd heard it was a good, solid wheel. It's not slick, but it is functional and workhorse, and everything I've tried to do, I've been able to do, although I think even higher ratios would be nice. If you're a fast spinner and/or spin a fine grist often, you might aim for something with higher ratios. It does make me dream about moving up to a more aesthetically pleasing wheel some day. I have my eyes on the Schact-Reeves saxony.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1753 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2014 :  12:16:11 PM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the Lendrum double treadle and think it is a good wheel. Easy to use, and with the plying head, you can get larger skeins, which I like a lot. I spin a couple of bobbins full on another wheel, then ply on the Lendrum, usually anywhere from 6-8 oz.

I don't spin fine on this wheel, have another one for that, but can get sport weight (or so) to chunky yarn on the Lendrum.

See My Stuff: Here

Go to Top of Page

unclejoey
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2014 :  08:12:33 AM  Show Profile Send unclejoey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Robinsteph and yarnlover. My new wheel should be arriving tomorrow.

Joe
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2014 :  08:15:41 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HHOOOOORRRRAAAAYYY! You must have it by now. How's it going?

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

unclejoey
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2014 :  5:04:08 PM  Show Profile Send unclejoey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Love it! It was ridiculously easy to set up and I had no problem spinning half a bobbin of merino in no time. Thanks for asking...

Joe
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?