Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Dyeing Discussion
 Dyeing Basics
 Why does commercial dye bleed?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1802 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2014 :  8:26:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't get Kool-Aid to run, not even red. Anyone have an explanation?

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1802 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2014 :  9:52:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I've done it again: overdyed some wool yarn with really red cake dye, and the color is amazingly fast with no bleeding. I really tested the process by putting almost 600g of yarn in what I think is a 12-quart dyepot! Oddly, the same yarn in a darker color bled like mad. It took simmering it in a lot of vinegar to get it to stop.

No one seems to have an answer to my first post on this thread, so I will ask again: What's so hard about getting red dye to "stick"?

Ceil
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2014 :  07:23:54 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's been awhile since I've dyed but I recall trying for red and instead getting splotchy pink. Hope someone has an answer for you, Ceil.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder to myself: PROVISIONAL cast on for EVERYTHING except toe-up socks.
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1802 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2014 :  9:27:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, really? I've gotten a wonderful red, and it doesn't bleed!

Ceil
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2014 :  07:15:41 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not positive but I think I had used Jacquard Acid Dye. Probably didn't use enough. I've used Kool-Aid and can't remember having any problems with that. It's been too long since I've experimented. I really need to retire.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder to myself: PROVISIONAL cast on for EVERYTHING except toe-up socks.
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2014 :  08:24:09 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Kool-Aid possibly did not run because it has either citric or acetic acid in it, or something like that, I can't remember. I've heard the acid acts as a mordant, and binds the dye chemically to the fibers, so: less bleeding. Not sure what's going on with the cake dye. I'm not a dyer... yet. I've felt the pull lately, so I've been reading, but I don't know much yet.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.