Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Current Projects?
 Katniss-inspired cowl
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2014 :  07:56:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm just finishing one of the Katniss-Inspired Cowls for my granddaughter ... she saw the latest Hunger Games movie (Catching Fire, I think, but I don't watch those, I just hear about them) and asked me if I could find a pattern for that "thing" the main character was wearing. Then she picked out which pattern she wanted from a number we saw on Ravelry. A college senior, she has the sense of style to carry this off, I think.

I just have to attach the braid trim at the top; I opted not to use it on the bottom, as (in my opinion) it's too small to really show up in all that bulky texture. I just joined the bottom edge to that knit row with a crochet hook, making a "sort of" elongated chain with a slip stitch in every-other stitch.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)

LeTeisha-Marie
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2014 :  2:44:02 PM  Show Profile Send LeTeisha-Marie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll have to look that up. Was it a easy knit?
Go to Top of Page

LeTeisha-Marie
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2014 :  2:47:23 PM  Show Profile Send LeTeisha-Marie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Didn't find the cowl but you do beautiful work.
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2014 :  07:57:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The actual name of the pattern is "Katniss inspired cowl" by Dahlia in Bloom ... I just added it to my projects last night. It was an easy knit, except for the large size 17 needles; very clumsy and uncomfortable for me personally (knitting with big needles hurts my wrists).

And I'm telling you, this thing is hefty. I think it's supposed to be some sort of armor in the movie, and now I can see why! It took forever to dry after soaking/blocking. Super thick and warm.

In my opinion, there were a few "glitches" in the way the pattern was written (I have comments with my project), although overall it was very detailed and clear, with lots of step-by-step photos. A somewhat expensive pattern for me to make only once, but not everyone wants one of these. But, this is my granddaughter ... what's a grandma to do?

Overall, it was easy and fast. I love that Little Herringbone stitch pattern.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe