Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Patching a hole in a sweater
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ak
Warming Up

92 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2014 :  1:56:40 PM  Show Profile Send ak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, all!

I knit a Bohus several years back -- the Gold pullover. Anyway, it's knit on, I believe 3s or smaller, in a fuzzy 50% angora 50% woool yarn, and there's 3 colors (which are rather close in shade) together in the area that is ripped. I fell wearing the sweater, and it got torn on the concrete.

The hole isn't too big -- unstretched, I'd say it's about a 1" circle. I know generally how to fix knitting problems and holes, but It's pretty hard to tell what's going on because of the fuzzy yarn and the very small gauge.

I was wondering if anyone's every patched knitting and, if so, how htey went about it. Obviously, it would have to be elasic (hole is on teh back of the shoulder), and it would have to keep the existing sweater from running further. I was thinking I could knit a small circle of something that would blend in well, and then stitch it behind the sweater with one of the torn colors (I have a bit of leftover yarn).

I'd be happy for suggestions other than patching, as well, if you have one.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thank you so much!

--ak

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1937 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2014 :  06:23:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can also darn the hole. Check out YouTube video's.

Linda in Va

My Blog: http://wallisknits.blogspot.com
My Patterns:
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2014 :  09:14:16 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Winter 2013 Twist Collective had a really interesting article on darning that I learned A LOT from. It discusses three ways of darning and the pros and cons of each.

Before I read the article I'd only tried the Swiss darning, and I've honestly never been very good at it. It's the neatest, but I think it might be the hardest given your large hole and fluffy yarn.

Here's a link:

http://www.twistcollective.com/collection/107-articles/1673-darn-it-all

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2584 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2014 :  7:25:51 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Robinsteph - the Twist article is a good summary.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

sockjoan
Warming Up

Australia
57 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2014 :  05:25:15 AM  Show Profile Send sockjoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd make a patch in situ, by picking up the relevant number of stitches just below the hole, knitting the required number of rows, grafting the patch to the body of the sweater, and then using the tails to carefully stitch the sides of the patch in place. Yes, I have done this myself, and was very pleased with the result.
Go to Top of Page

liz ruork
New Pal

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2014 :  06:58:15 AM  Show Profile Send liz ruork a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hihi i would go for the best quality repair feasible... pick up a clean row of stitches below and above the hole and using a single strand of yarn knit up to the clean row above and kitchener... then take the other strand sand duplicate stitch over the area joining the sides of the patch to the main fabric as you go.... i think this would give you a good looking result but replace the integrity of the original fabric .... and no excessive strain at the upper and lower edges where a fix would be most likely to "give" again in the future... a bit fussy perhaps but if you love the sweater it is worth the fuss

lizruork
Go to Top of Page

storiesr
Sustaining Member

694 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2014 :  07:19:56 AM  Show Profile Send storiesr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Needle felt a patch? One to match or as a whimsical embellishment

Laura

We may not be able to control the wind, but we can direct our sails!
Go to Top of Page

dakota
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2014 :  12:20:39 PM  Show Profile Send dakota a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My question is...how are you? Hole on the back of the shoulder...did you hit your head? So sorry, hope you aren't injured (as your sweater is!)

Lois in Virginia
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?