Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 The Curse of the Love Sweater?
 A new slant?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1702 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2013 :  10:38:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I knitted s pullover sweater for my DH a few years ago. It came out way too big, because I didn't soak and block the swatch, AND I was under the impression that I was a tight knitter, so I was going up a needle size to get the gauge on the label without blocking. (Don't ever do this!)

So now I'm knitting a new sweater for DH, with gauge and measurements in good shape, but what to do with the first sweater? One of my eccentric musician friends is coming here for Christmas (he was alone last year--NOT!). I think it will fit him! But the funniest part about this is that, after I decided to give this man the sweater, he told me that, many years ago, he wanted to date me. Oy vey....... Naah, this isn't a love sweater. Oh my, but if it HAD been......???!!! Ah, a love sweater in reverse: I could give it to him inside out! Whadya think?

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.

Burjane
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2013 :  08:38:44 AM  Show Profile Send Burjane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Enjoying your story; I finally finished my first ever sweater this fall and it was humongous! I used Lincoln/Mohair from a friend's stash in a brown/mauve color. My brother called to say that his office is having an ugly sweater contest for their Christmas Party and did I have any ideas. I said I have the perfect sweater for him! It fit him perfectly and I added some fun fur in red and white to the neck and sleeves. We added battery-operated blinking lights and some ornaments. He said it was a hit.

Thing is, five years ago, I would have hidden that sweater and not shown it to anyone. I've matured enough to laugh at myself and it is so freeing. Knitting is my therapy and I have gone from perfection to process and it is great.
Go to Top of Page

socks4all
Permanent Resident

USA
1458 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2013 :  12:58:06 PM  Show Profile Send socks4all a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ceil, if you feel funny about giving your too big sweater to an old friend because of the potentially impied intimacy, then don't. There must be homeless shelters or Veterans' Services organizations in your area that would gladly find someone to fit into your sweater, and would appreciate it. And how could that imply that it is a love sweater, except that you love knitting and love mankind?
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1702 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2013 :  11:36:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't feel funny about it at all. Somehow it seems to be more of a funny story.

Ceil
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1702 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2013 :  3:11:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the pullover was just a little snug but otherwise fit my friend, so he took it home. If he loses weight, as he promises, it will fit him fine.

Ceil
Go to Top of Page

sunshine0430
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2014 :  10:27:21 AM  Show Profile Send sunshine0430 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a very entertaining story. I knitted my partner a sweater this year for Christmas, and as I was knitting in, the ladies in my knitting circle had different reactions, one was "be careful with that!" another was "He is a very lucky man." He wore the sweater for about three days straight without taking it off. So I took this gracious acceptance of a sweater that fit... probably a little snugger than he would normally wear as a good omen. Plus his mother gave me a HUGE bag of fibers, and an offer to teach me how to use her spinning wheel (I only have a drop spindle).

Rachel Potter
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1702 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2014 :  10:39:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Life is a bit happier now: I just finished a sweater for my DH. It's his Christmas--well now, Epiphany--present!

Ceil
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe