Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Introduce yourself!
 shopping again (still) for Christmas
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

U-519
Warming Up

Canada
53 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  09:17:57 AM  Show Profile Send U-519 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello again everyone: I just wanted to let you know of our progress for Christmas shopping and perhaps pass along a little tip.

I bought the quiviat (she loves it)for last Christmas. It is now her favorite yarn, over everything else including cashmere & angora. Of course she won't turn either away but ... she loves the quiviat.
I also researched the knitting bowls and ended up buying her a bowl about 12" across with sides about 2" high by Pzatgraff (or something like that). It was taking a bit of a chance because the bowls made for knitting had holes for the yarn. But I often see my wife knit with two balls, sometimes three. Plus the balls might be very large at times and I'm sure they wouldn't fit in the bowls made for knitting.
Well, she insists I made the right choice and I don't think she is just being polite. She uses it ALL the time and says it even looks nice ,"the right colours". So maybe others would like to consider this type of bowl instead?
It will probably be a few more balls of quiviat this Christmas and I'll try and find something else new or unique for her knitting pleasure. She enjoys the Dyakcraft needles and the square needles she had never tried before.
Anyway, thanks again to all for helping. Anymore ideas for gifts are always appreciated. James

James Langford

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1684 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2013 :  3:25:58 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
James, does she have a ball winder and/or swift?? I know I would love a swift.
judy
Go to Top of Page

U-519
Warming Up

Canada
53 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2013 :  03:06:48 AM  Show Profile Send U-519 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear jtamson:
Excellent! I will investigate that immediately. I have never heard her mention the swift but I believe I am the substitute for the 'ball winder' if it involves turning a skein into a ball by standing with my forearms extended and turning from left to right and back again ENDLESSLY. If a swift is what I suspect it is, it may be more of a gift for me than her (LOL) but I will DEFINATELY check it out and probably get one.
The only other idea I have is to get some Buffalo Gold. I think it is the only yarn left that she hasn't tried. Her favorite so far is Qiviat but I'll keep searching for something new and unique. She loved the Pearl yarn but I'm running out of ideas. I think a knitting getaway or weekend will soon be the only things left. We cannot travel with our elderly dog so for now, just some small, unique stocking stuffers should do. Thank you again for the idea. She (we) will love it.

James Langford
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1256 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2013 :  08:37:33 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi James--

Yes, you are spot on: You ARE the swift. Think of all the free time you'll have if you get her one.

Here are some thoughts. All of these articles should have a link to the manufacturer or somewhere to purchase:

100% Mink: http://www.knittersreview.com/article_yarn.asp?article=/review/product/090611_a.asp

Possum/cashmere/silk, new on the market: http://www.knittersreview.com/article_yarn.asp?article=/review/product/130815_a.asp

Handturned, handmade knitting needles: http://www.knittersreview.com/article_tool.asp?article=/review/product/080327_a.asp

and

http://www.knittersreview.com/article_tool.asp?article=/review/product/040129_b.asp

Personal favorite: Chinchilla/Cormo/silk. Last May, while at Sue Reuser's last Cormo Wool Farm Open House, I met a woman in the fiber community who raises chinchillas and makes a humane fiber blend of the down. It is absolutely beautiful, as tender as pie crust, as soft as quiviut perhaps, both in its pre-spun (roving) or knitted state.

I just checked her Etsy store and she currently only has roving for sale (http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheSpinnersWheel?ref=l2-shopheader-name). But she's trying to get her fiber business off the ground, and if you send her a message through Etsy, she very well may be willing to spin up some yarn for you. Custom orders happen on etsy all the time.

It won't be cheap, because you'd have to pay for the fiber prep and then the spinning up, but based on your past performance, perhaps that's not an obstacle!

I don't any affiliation with her, I just admired her product enormously, and wish I could afford some. No affiliation to any of these products, actually, just have heard good things.

I won't say knock yourself out, because I know it's superfluous! Have a fun time shopping.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

U-519
Warming Up

Canada
53 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  4:55:58 PM  Show Profile Send U-519 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dearest robinstephanie: Superb! I couldn't ask for a better response than this. A few sites to check out for more 'stuff' as well as a guide to finding a swift. And I thought the last find would have to be the 'Buffalo Gold'. Chinchilla? Really? And even the name "100% Mink" has me curious. And Possum too? I'm getting the impression that knitters will knit with ANYTHING that walks? Kind of makes sense I guess since things that crawl like reptiles don't carry a lot of yarn so there are limits ... I guess. I imagine my ignorance is showing when I state that I will have to investigate exactly what a 'Cormo' is. If I learn just one thing every day, it's a day well spent! You CERTAINLY held my attention when you mentioned "pie crust". I will of course be contacting Sue Reuser (thanks to you). I better hurry. Christmas really isn't that far off anymore.
As for cost, I wish I could say that cost isn't a factor but to some extent, it is. I am not wealthy but I am a rich man in the sense that if it makes my knitting addict happy, the cost is irrelevant. I love to see her smile and money in my wallet really doesn't excite me. It's just money. Christmas can be such fun and all the more so with the kind assistance of people like yourself. My memory has never been all that good but I seem to recall your assistance in the past. You are very kind to take the time and I appreciate it very much. Sincerely, (perhaps it is a little early but) ... a very Merry Christmas to you and yours. You've contributed a great deal to ours and I thank you.

James Langford
Go to Top of Page

Daylily
New Pal

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  5:12:11 PM  Show Profile Send Daylily a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does your wife have interchangeable needles? If she doesn't The Addi Lace Interchangeable needle Set would be a good gift.

Daylily, another one tomorrow
Go to Top of Page

U-519
Warming Up

Canada
53 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2013 :  05:28:47 AM  Show Profile Send U-519 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good morning Daylily: Would that be like the Dyakcraft needles? She loves those but the wait list is a bit of an issue. Nevertheless, Addi Lace site sounds like it deserves some attention. Isn't Christmas fun?!

James Langford
Go to Top of Page

Daylily
New Pal

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2013 :  05:49:02 AM  Show Profile Send Daylily a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi James,
I am not familiar with the Dyakcraft brand of needles but the Addi Lace is a good set. I bought them for myself last year and I love them . Yarn slips easily across them and having the 3 cords gives you a lot of flexibility.
Right now I am dealing with my oldest son's medical problems. After 13 years with a transplanted kidney, last weekend he went into the hospital with renal failure and has rejected the kidney he received in Sept of 2000. He was sick with something that caused him to cough so much that he couldn't get a good breath in and as a result his oxygen levels plummeted. They had to put him on oxygen and but a breathing tube in his throat. AS of last night he is looking a little better, his coloring is much pinker than last week,

Daylily, another one tomorrow
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1256 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2013 :  08:48:19 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
James, we would even knit wool of bat, but it's hard to find.

A few clarifications on my post.

Yes, chinchilla, really. It's beautiful. Sue Reuser's Cormo farm is the "where" it happened. If you're interested in the chinchilla/cormo/silk, you'll need to contact the "who", and that's Donna Nelson. I found her business card today, and you can contact her at the etsy link I posted before, or through email at donna@thespinnerswheel.com.

Cormo is a breed of sheep genetically related to Merino, very soft. Sue's famous for her Cormo fleece, and Donna uses Sue's Cormo in her chinchilla blend.

If Donna spun up the blend into yarn for you, I don't think it would be prohibitively expensive, somewhere on the order of a ball of quiviut, although I'm guessing here. So a luxury item, definitely, but nice for a small, very warm project. I seem to remember you live somewhere it gets cold.

Thanks for your kind words. I have weighed in on your wife's Christmas presents before, you are correct. I just can't resist the urge to lob all these things I find really exciting right at you, and I love to share the information and talk about knitting stuff. Glad I could help. And happy Christmas back to you!

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

U-519
Warming Up

Canada
53 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2013 :  07:24:47 AM  Show Profile Send U-519 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good morning Daylily and Robinstephanie and thank you both. It is wonderful to come across a treasure chest of ideas for the Christmas stocking. I really thought I was down to the bottom of potential gifts left to get but perhaps knitting is a skill requiring a deluge of (fun) stuff? Who knew? I will contact Donna shortly and the Addi needles may be just the ticket but perhaps you(Daylily) should check out Dyakcraft. You may be pleasantly surprised and it sounds like you could use a little pick-me-up. Even the little things help.
I've decided to forego the 'swift' mostly because as a husband, the task allows me time to spend with my wife when she is most excited, anticipating what this next ball of yarn will be like to knit and how the project will come out and which pattern is best and ... well, you know what I mean, probably more so than I. I just find the process precious so I will remain the 'swift'. It gives me a few enjoyable moments that I can pretend are an intrusion on my time. That way I can get 'husband points', even if they aren't redeemable.

James Langford
Go to Top of Page

U-519
Warming Up

Canada
53 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2013 :  07:41:48 AM  Show Profile Send U-519 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Update - I sent an inquiry to Donna for the chinchilla, cormo silk mix. But the 100% mink and the possum mix have my interest as well. The qiviat strikes me as nice but too warm to knit anything of size so perhaps some of these other 'adventures' will prove beneficial. But that is just me. Perhaps we can discount the rumours and size doesn't matter? Either way, she will have hours of fun following Christmas morning. Thank you again.

James Langford
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.73 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?