Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Help with blocking.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MylieTheIceOwl
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2013 :  5:10:24 PM  Show Profile Send MylieTheIceOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have never blocked anything before in my life, so this might sound dumb. How would I block a (huge) acrylic rug? Steaming seems like it would take FOREVER, and I don't really have a spray bottle open for use, (the only one I have is filled with hairspray), and I don't really feel good about wet blocking. All I need to do with this project is get it into shape. The edges are all wavy. I used super bulky yarn doubled (a pain in the fingers, let me tell you that...), in seed stitch. It is 100% acrylic. I don't have any pins to hold it in shape, and to be honest... I don't think I'd be able to find any that are strong enough to hold it, and not bend. Helps?

#9436;#9448;#9435;#9432;#9428;

MylieTheIceOwl
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2013 :  5:13:42 PM  Show Profile Send MylieTheIceOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, what I meant was, what method is the best to use? I don't really care what I use, just as long as it does the job. Sorry if I was confusing.

#9436;#9448;#9435;#9432;#9428;
Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2754 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2013 :  5:38:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, acrylic doesn't really block. Only natural fibers will.

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1809 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2013 :  6:04:21 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree that acrylic is tough to shape after knitting.

But ever the eternal optimist, I'd suggest putting the rug on a bed, protecting the bedding with old sheets or whatever.

Then get yourself a spray bottle -- borrow one, or whatever -- and just go for the edges that you say are wavy. Spray them lightly, put a ironing cloth on top to protect the stitches, and iron just these wavy edges, moving the iron from the inside of the edge area to the outside edge.Don't move the iron "up and down" the wavy bits: that will make them more wavy!
Don't press hard at all: just enough to coax the waves away!

Have the iron temperature on "wool" and don't leave the iron on the cloth very long. You will have to experiment. Acrylic will melt with high temps. and long exposure to heat, and the "wool" setting is a little high, but if you keep your movements "just long enough, but not too long", by checking the rug and all those beautiful seed stitches, to be sure they aren't flattened.

Then take off the ironing cloth, and using your hands, pat out the waves some more. Then leave the whole thing to dry.

So you are Wetting, Steaming, Pressing Lightly, and Patting Out.

I know it may sound complicated, but I think that's about all you can do........

But the great thing about Knitters Review Forums is that others will throw in their wisdom, and somewhere there will be what you need!

Good luck and best wishes,

Anna

PS: Or, you could celebrate the world's wavy-edged rug! and leave it at that..... :)

Life is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

MylieTheIceOwl
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  08:19:16 AM  Show Profile Send MylieTheIceOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright, awesome, thanks, Anna. I wasn't expecting such a detailed reply. I'll try it, just as soon as I can convince my mom to let me use her iron. (:

RAVK
Go to Top of Page

MylieTheIceOwl
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  08:22:08 AM  Show Profile Send MylieTheIceOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rachel, I've heard it does... it seems there is a huge controversy on this. (: I watched a Youtube video of a person blocking swatches that were supposedly 100% acrylic, and I saw a few blog posts about blocking acrylic. (None of them really said anything on HOW to do it, though)

RAVK
Go to Top of Page

MylieTheIceOwl
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  08:31:22 AM  Show Profile Send MylieTheIceOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, another question that I feel like it should be obvious to me, but it just isn't. When I knit a sweater, do I block the pieces seperately, or after I sew them together?

RAVK
Go to Top of Page

MylieTheIceOwl
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  11:12:59 AM  Show Profile Send MylieTheIceOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anna, I tried your trick, but nothing really happened, plus I was freaking myself out. (I have a deathly fear of acrylics melting and poisonous gasses being released, after I read this particular book once... won't say who it was by... Also, me + really-extremely-superly-duperly-hot-iron-that-could-be-used-as-a-lethal-weapon = not a good mix). I am now embracing the wavy-ness, your second suggestion, which is something I never thought I'd be able to do... I have this problem with everything I knit/crochet has to turn out PERFECT. Which is bad, considering I'm the slob I am.... anyway, thanks for the suggestions! One project down, ummm... 19 more to go... o.o

RAVK
Go to Top of Page

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1921 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  12:07:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you are making a sweater in pieces I block before I sew. You will be surprised how much easier it is to sew up a sweater after it is blocked. The sts lay evenly and you can see where you need to go. Plus it makes it easier to match up piece b'c you blocked them to the same lengths.

I tend to not block acrylics b'c they don't take to blocking unless you "kill" the yarn. So if your sweater is acrylic this won't be a real help. But washing anything always is a good start, no matter what the fiber content!

Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming. ~Myrna Loy
http://purlewe.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

MylieTheIceOwl
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  12:17:06 PM  Show Profile Send MylieTheIceOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alrighty, thanks, purlewe.

RAVK
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.