Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 re:blocking boards?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

LynnIL
Warming Up

63 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2013 :  05:41:16 AM  Show Profile Send LynnIL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I need to buy a blocking board. I have looked at the sew ez boards online. I do not think JoAnn's carry these anymore. I have looked at others that fit like puzzles. Suggestions? Thank-you. Lynn

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2396 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2013 :  07:11:33 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use a gym mat that interlocks like a puzzle. Easy to store and I can make it the size I need.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder to myself: PROVISIONAL cast on for EVERYTHING except toe-up socks.
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1267 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2013 :  07:39:41 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have an EZ sewing board that I used for a year or so for blocking. For me, it didn't work that great--it's thin, and I kept sticking pins all the way through it and into my hardwood floor. So I bought interlocking blocking mats from knitpicks and block on those. If I want/need a measuring grid (as I do right now, as I am blocking 7x7 squares) I put the EZ sew mat on top of the interlocking squares. That works great. *And* fits under the couch.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

4014 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2013 :  07:41:00 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the interlocking mats too and like them very much.

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1267 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2013 :  07:57:46 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's an earlier conversation about blocking mats, which might have some helpful info for you:
http://www.knittersreview.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=104839

Robinsteph

Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1858 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2013 :  2:12:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't use one because I knit sweaters in one piece. The Yarn Harlot said something about laying the damp sweater out on a bed and then threading strong cord through the various places that are "stretch points" (my term), tying weights to the cord ends so they stay taut. If you can envision this(!), it could be a good alternative. However, I haven't tried it yet.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2396 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2013 :  07:18:53 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone use a wooly board?

azblue
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1267 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2013 :  08:45:55 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What's that?!

Robinsteph

Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2396 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2013 :  11:58:57 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.camillavalleyfarm.com/knit/woolyboard.htm

azblue
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2608 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2013 :  4:33:46 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never understood using a bed. How do you keep the bedding (quilt, duvet, bedspread, whatever) from getting wet? What if the dye bleeds? And if you're using your own bed, what if you want to go to bed before the thing dries?

I have a blocking board and interlocking mats. Both have their uses - the mats are great because you can make them into different sizes and shapes; the board is great when measuring is important.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1858 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2013 :  8:32:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Towels, as soon as you get up in the morning, with a fan running and the door closed!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1267 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2013 :  11:14:31 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, that wooly board thing looks great. It looks like it would be faster than pinning out the entire sweater. I'd love to try it. But first I have to knit some sweaters. And save up. It's always fun to dream and lust after new knitting tools.

Robinsteph

Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2051 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2013 :  5:00:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At one point I ordered a wooly board. I didn't like it and returned it.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

Kade1301
Permanent Resident

France
1438 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2013 :  09:24:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kade1301's Homepage Send Kade1301 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought two insulating foam boards (1 m x 2.40 m or thereabouts, and they are not styrofoam) at the hardware store and mounted them vertically on a wall in my studio. They are thick enough so that the pins don't get through, the price was negligible (after all, normally you buy dozens or hundreds of them to insulate your house) and rather solid, especially as I've covered them with firm fabric. It would be even better if the fabric was checkered/lined, but then it wouldn't work as background for taking photos. Compromises everywhere...

Happy blocking! Klara

http://www.lahottee.info
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2396 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2013 :  07:23:13 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've seen patterns for making one from PVC. What didn't you like about the one you ordered, Sharon?

azblue
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2608 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2013 :  09:23:12 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha Ceil - it's that "first thing in the morning" part that will always be my downfall!

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2013 :  07:19:40 AM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I've never heard of these things, they must be an American thing, I should look it up on the internet, then I won't be such an ignoramus.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose
Go to Top of Page

Mshark
Warming Up

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2013 :  05:04:56 AM  Show Profile Send Mshark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Had never heard of the wooly board. Looks like a little like a medieval torture device! The interlocking squares from Cocoknit (http://store.cocoknits.com/products/knitterís-block.html) are great. Thick enough to anchor the pins, the spongy material on the back keeps them steady. The material on the front side has little ridges that hold the pieces in place and also help line things up straight. I can imagine that a grid would also be helpful for measuring but a yardstick for larger things, ruler for smaller things works just fine.

Miriam
Knitshark
Yarn Longa Vita Brevis Est

Go to Top of Page

cutlermac
New Pal

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2013 :  07:25:40 AM  Show Profile Send cutlermac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use Styrofoam (blue) insulation boards. Lightweight, can be sored behind a door. The wet blocked item dries by evaporating upward into the air, rather than into the blocking board. It is Easy to pickup and move outdoors for faster drying. Cost is about $10.00 bucks at the builders supply store. Life span about 20 years.
Mary Anne
Go to Top of Page

ellenmc
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2013 :  09:56:12 AM  Show Profile Send ellenmc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I block on a double bed, over towels. I use blocking wires, which are great for keeping the shape without too many pins. I don't soak the knitted piece, but cover it with light cloths that are soaked. Then, I pass the hot iron over it, not pressing down, but really steaming the knitted pieces. Small items are blocked on the ironing board. When my daughter-in-law tried this, she did press down on the iron in spite of my warning, and ruined the piece which was made of acrylic yarn. I don't knit anymore with synthetic yarns, except for the 10% of nylon that is in many sock yarns,
Go to Top of Page

mjhknits
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2013 :  11:33:59 AM  Show Profile Send mjhknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use one of those inexpensive heavy cardboard boards meant for cutting out sewing projects. It folds like an accordion and is marked in 1" squares. To keep the wet pieces being blocked from getting it soggy I bought a piece of clear plastic from a fabric store to just fit the top. This rolls up around a cardboard tube when not in use. So I have the advantages of the grid markings (which are very useful) and ease of storage.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?