Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Current Projects?
 the sweater that won't die
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

susiknits
Permanent Resident

USA
1060 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2013 :  06:20:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit susiknits's Homepage  Send susiknits a Yahoo! Message Send susiknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No joke. I started it a couple of years ago and got stuck on the sleeves. One is not quite finished, the other unstarted and I am sick of this project. It haunts me.

This is why I loved socks, but I won't let myself start more socks - because I've got a sweater going! And this morning I was thinking about starting a hat, but remembered the sweater.

It's also caused me to vanish from this board - which I used to love.

The sweater must die. But how?

--That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2013 :  07:22:10 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Turn it into a vest? Commit to 10 min a day on this project until finished and then give yourself permission to work the rest of the day on something you love. Or...(my personal favorite) rip and move on. Life is way too short to keep working on something you hate.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
Go to Top of Page

susiknits
Permanent Resident

USA
1060 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2013 :  08:02:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit susiknits's Homepage  Send susiknits a Yahoo! Message Send susiknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought about the vest -- I could also do cap sleeves...

This is what I've recently leaned is "situational paralysis" -- the mule between two haystacks problem.

Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2013 :  08:46:37 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last week I frogged 3 projects that had been in my
wips for some yrs and I can't tell you how much better
I feel. The yarn in 2 of the projects is very good
yarn, but I am giving that away. 2012 was a finishing yr
for me and a work out of stash and I am pleased to say
my stash is way down and I don't have that many wips left. I still have 3 or 4 to start but even some of those I will not do. Life is too short to work on things you are
no longer interested in. Just gift it as a vest or dump it, frog and use the yarn for something else if you like the yarn.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2013 :  08:54:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I second Zola's suggestion. Unless you can turn it into a vest or something similar (and FAST) that you will enjoy wearing, frog the thing, wind the yarn into balls and go on. If you love the yarn, you'll figure out something else to do with it, and if you're sick of it by now, give it away.

I was in the same boat not too long ago, torn between what I had begun and "should" finish, but finding myself hating it and putting it aside for far too long. Frogged it and a huge weight was lifted from my shoulders ... I never knew a few balls of yarn could be so heavy!

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

Kade1301
Permanent Resident

France
1438 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2013 :  09:59:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kade1301's Homepage Send Kade1301 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would you want to wear it if it was finished? Does it fit so far? If no to either question, frog.

If you would like to have this nicely fitting sweater - is there a particular problem with the sleeves? Could you avoid it? I knit my sleeves from the top down. That way I can attach them to the shoulder as often as I like without undoing a lot of work and I know that they will be the right length. But a sleeve-less vest or a short-sleeved sweater sound fine to me, too.

Happy knitting! Klara

http://www.lahottee.info
Go to Top of Page

susiknits
Permanent Resident

USA
1060 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2013 :  10:52:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit susiknits's Homepage  Send susiknits a Yahoo! Message Send susiknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kade, I agree with you one hundred percent. I can imagine starting the second sleeve from the top down and stopping when I think it will look right. Then I could frog the other and repeat. Do that sound crazy?

Yes, I believed this would be an excellent item to wear. I still would like to wear it at least once!

Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2013 :  05:04:40 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lots of very sound and sane suggestions here. And I have learned a proper name for the problem I have when I get stuck on something and suddenly do not want to go any further on it. "Situational Paralysis" sounds much better than "a funk." Thanks susiknits

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

Kade1301
Permanent Resident

France
1438 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2013 :  05:17:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kade1301's Homepage Send Kade1301 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds actually very reasonable! Really, absolutely anything that will get this sweater finished is perfectly reasonable!

I believe it's the yarn harlot who once, faced with some disliked finishing task, changed her attitude from: "Darn, another 2 hours to work on this shawl" to "Great, I've already done most of the work, only two more hours and I can wear this wonderful shawl!" (That's a very approximate quote from memory as I read it years ago on her blog and wouldn't know where to find it.) So tell yourself: The body is done and it looks great, only the sleeves left and then I'll have this wonderful sweater to wear! (Having just knitted a cardigan loosely based on the Susie Hoodie I can confirm that a body is very much more work than sleeves.)

Happy knitting! Klara

Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2013 :  08:45:33 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always work both sleeves at the same time and first so when I am finished with the sleeves I feel almost done and they are the same. There is something very liberating about having the sleeves done first.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Kade1301
Permanent Resident

France
1438 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  06:26:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kade1301's Homepage Send Kade1301 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That only works when you are confident about your measurements. I knitted one sweater with too-long sleeves, that taught me. And I haven't mastered yet the skill of knitting two items in the round at the same time and on the same needles and I find switching a time-waster.

Happy knitting! Klara

Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  08:22:32 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Klara, I never have had any problem with length and I don't
mind a little long you can just roll the cuff.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2013 :  02:34:21 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The absolute best way of course is when someone else knits the sleeves for you as happened with my last cardigan. However, it is miles too big for me as I misread the pattern. I am still deliberating whether to turn it into a jacket by lining it and putting in shoulder pads.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

susiknits
Permanent Resident

USA
1060 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  9:08:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit susiknits's Homepage  Send susiknits a Yahoo! Message Send susiknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Update)

Thanks for all the positive thoughts, knitters! I finally returned to my Not-Quite-Dead project this evening and followed Kade's suggestion for a top-down sleeve. It's a lot of fun to read a pattern backwards - kind of appeals to my contrary nature.

On the down side, the little moths had found my first ball of yarn, and that required some unwinding and snipping. The whole thing is in the freezer now. Serves me right for neglecting it all summer and not putting in storage.

Thank you again!

s

Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  11:00:29 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Grand-Moogi, I can't tell you how many times I've used the term "situational paralysis" since I read it in your post above. I can just apply it in so many ways and it makes me laugh at myself. And I am cracking up at the idea of having somebody else knit the sleeves for me. (That must have been your daughter?)

Susiknits--good luck! Sounds like you are getting your brain wrapped around it now and have some new options. Hope that stimulates you into finishing the durn thang.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

susiknits
Permanent Resident

USA
1060 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2013 :  11:55:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit susiknits's Homepage  Send susiknits a Yahoo! Message Send susiknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha! The best part was checking the Vogue Knitting Book for tips about casting on. Knitting on? I remember that!

Voila, BO8 next four rows becomes CO8 and away we go!

Go to Top of Page

susiknits
Permanent Resident

USA
1060 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  8:26:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit susiknits's Homepage  Send susiknits a Yahoo! Message Send susiknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Update: I knitted along for a number of rows, and found another moth-y area deeper in the ball. So I pulled out my ball winder and re-wound the entire ball, and cut out and reknotted wherever there was a bitten-out area. Now it's ALL in the freezer until I'm ready to knit again tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe