Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Machine Talk
 Super Duper Basic Beginner Talk
 Please help me
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lavatera
New Pal

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2012 :  11:46:33 AM  Show Profile Send lavatera a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I do have a knitting machine, and have been using it right now to practice with before knitting anything. My problem is that when I do knit in the stockinete way on the machine, and do only plain knitting, as I am a beginner at this, the little blanket I make does roll up. Crocheting around the edges does not help at all.

What should I do?

Thanks so much for you info.

lavatera

terryknits2
New Pal

39 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  4:57:30 PM  Show Profile Send terryknits2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is a characteristic of stockinette stitch - the edges will definitely roll up. Hand knitters typically start with a few rows of garter stitch or similar stitch that lays flat and also will work a few stitches on the edges in garter stitch to minimize the effect. On the knitting machine you can achieve the same effect by reworking stitches by hand after they have been knit by the machine. For garter stitch for example, you would rework stitches in every other row to be a knit facing you instead of a purl facing you. This is not hard to do with your latch tool. Does this help at all? Sometimes also, wet blocking or steaming the fabric will remove most of the curl.
Go to Top of Page

lavatera
New Pal

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  8:29:39 PM  Show Profile Send lavatera a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, this does help me.

Thank you for your reply.

lavatera
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by