Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Needles and Security
 Federal Court Boston
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mjhealy
Warming Up

72 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2011 :  3:09:51 PM  Show Profile Send mjhealy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone had experience bringing knitting into this court for jury duty? Isn't it enough that I have to show up at 8am from outside the city. Can't imagine what its like for the Martha Vineyard folks who get called in.

Thanks for any information.

MMario
Permanent Resident

2210 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2011 :  05:31:05 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would call the courthouse and ask. It varies from court to court and sometimes even judge to judge.

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

Schaeferyarnlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

513 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2011 :  09:30:07 AM  Show Profile Send Schaeferyarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you are going to try it, bring non-metal needles.
Go to Top of Page

mathiemom
Chatty Knitter

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2011 :  10:15:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit mathiemom's Homepage Send mathiemom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I brought an enormous project - the huppah for my daughter's wedding - into this courthouse (I assume that you're talking about the Moakley Building, yes?) every day for almost two weeks while I sat on a jury in a criminal case in 2008. I had no problem whatsoever . . . though of course I didn't knit while we were actually hearing evidence. During breaks, motion arguments, etc. when we weren't actually in the courtroom, I worked on my knitting. This project was so large that it required five 60" circs (US #13), worked in the round. I used Knitpicks Options needles with metal (very pointy) tips. I think that if they let those in, they'll let any needles in!

I did once have my knitting confiscated at a state courthouse (Middlesex Superior Court), but even then, nothing dire happened. They gave me a "weapons claim check" card (I kid you not) and let me pick it up when I left the courthouse that day. So, at worst, you won't be able to knit that day, but you won't lose your project or needles forever.

If you want to play it safer, you might want to use wooden or bamboo needles that day.

By the way, if you are seated on a jury, it's a pretty cool place to be a juror. They have individual viewing screens for each juror which can be operated via counsels' laptops, which makes things move along more quickly than the old way of passing around mounds of paper. And it's all nice and new and modern. I found it a genuinely interesting and enjoyable experience.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

mjhealy
Warming Up

72 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  10:07:40 AM  Show Profile Send mjhealy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the information. Looks like I'll be able to take in my knitting IF I get called. The Gods gave me a hall pass this week.

Wendy, I loved your story about retrieving your "weapon". So funny. I was told from courthouse too that knitting needles are allowed in. No phones, but I'd rather have my knitting.
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  11:58:10 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was once told that if I brought my knitting into the courtroom (while they were selecting the jury from about 200,) I would be charged with contempt.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?