Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 OFF-TOPIC: Enter At Your Own Risk
 Political discussions
 Debt ceiling debacle
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mouse
Permanent Resident

1442 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2011 :  07:30:23 AM  Show Profile Send mouse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, this forum has been stagnant for a while. Maybe we can get it going again.

Scary times, when people think default is the way to cure our economic ills, and still scarier when they think God is directing them:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/john-boehners-no-confidence-vote/2011/07/29/gIQAGoEqgI_story.html?hpid=z3

........................................................................................................................
You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. Antoine de Saint Exupery

ClimberKnits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2011 :  09:07:04 AM  Show Profile Send ClimberKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting. I (unfortunately) live in Rep Jordan's district. He's one of the republican "uncontrollables." This morning the local paper claimed that rep. Jordan could loose his house district when Ohio has to redraw districts. We will have two fewer than last time. GOP leaders apparently are not too fond of his squeaky wheel politics. It's all too ugly.

I wish that everyone there was less worried about his/her re-election than the state of the country. None of them appear really ready to "serve their country" as they so often claim in campaign rhetoric.
Go to Top of Page

Punctuatedknitter
Seriously Hooked

819 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2011 :  8:22:14 PM  Show Profile Send Punctuatedknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The people are I really feel sorry for are kids and young adults. I'm in my mid-30's and it makes me sick to think of how tough it is and will continue to be on the younger Americans. My generation will be less well off than our parents, but that's nothing compared to the prosperity that has been frittered away and lost to them by the time they are ready to start their adult lives.
Go to Top of Page

suecq
Chatty Knitter

USA
205 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2011 :  07:23:35 AM  Show Profile Send suecq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If any of us did our jobs as poorly as our current elected officials are handling the current debt situation we would all be fired.
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2011 :  08:29:38 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And maybe that is what should happen. They can all be replaced.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

680 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2011 :  10:09:57 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zola, not a bad idea. I'm so disgusted with the government at this point and upset to see the market heading south and our frail recovery hanging on by just a thread. And all this for exactly what? Getting rid of Obama next year? Does anybody in Washington care about us the hard working folks meanwhile?

Kristina
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2011 :  12:10:52 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, vote them out!

They are paid quite handsomely to represent us and they are not listening to us in the least. And to think the sole concept is to make sure Mr. Obama is a single-term president? That is not what we voted them in to do. Meanwhile, everything else is not being taken care of because they are not doing their jobs. We'd all be fired if we behaved with this much disrespect and incompetence.

What does this say about ethics and moral character to be willing to throw the entire country under the bus just to make sure POTUS is not re-elected? Absolutely absurd. And kicking the can down the street for another six months so we can go through this again is simply not acceptable.

M L
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2041 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2011 :  6:30:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My friend actually canceled her doctor appointment because she was afraid she wouldn't have food money, come August 2nd! I tried to tell her it was all politics and that there was no way President Obama was going to withhold social security checks. Well, she says, "He said he couldn't guarantee the checks would go out". So what! He does have the ability to refuse to let them go out, but he's no idiot. That would make him a 1 term president.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2011 :  5:42:05 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After the jangling of everyone's very last nerve, they finally passed a real loser of a deal. This whole thing is going to have a lot of fallout, not all of it deserved, as we've learned from the past.

Sharon, there are a lot of worried people because of this. I hope they are all reading the most truthful things and avoiding the scare mongering going on.

Punctuatedknitter, yes, the kids are going to be the ones who end up holding an empty bag into which they have been pouring money for a few years. It's monstrous.

Lella

Zippiknits

"Life is good if you don't weaken." Calvin Coolidge
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by