Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sweater Talk
 Central Park Hoodie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1702 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2010 :  2:38:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got my eye on this (as I finish up Cinxia), and suspect that several of you out there have made CPH. My question:

Are the fronts supposed to overlap some? It's hard to tell from the photos. I plan to knit this pattern in one piece, and when I did the math on all the stitches I would have to cast on for the body, I found out that it will measure about 2.5 inches more than my bust measurement. (This is before the ribbed border is added at the end.)

I just want to make sure I get a good read on this much before I get too excited! Thanks!

Ceil

Time is never a factor when joy is involved.

noallatin
Chatty Knitter

276 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2010 :  2:52:48 PM  Show Profile Send noallatin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The CPH is on my list of to do in the future also. I joined the CPH group on Ravelry looking for advice. From what I can remember, the CPH runs small. Many folks go up a dress size to get a fit they are comfortable with. I believe that the sweater was originally made without buttons but some folks have modified it to make the center front edges button friendly. Some folks eschew buttons altogether and put in a zipper instead. I think that you can probably make fronts fit whichever way makes you happy.
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1702 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2010 :  3:12:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Duh, I just remembered that the cables are going to draw the fabric in! It could be that CPH is designed for the front edges (that's finished with the ribbing) to meet at the center, rather than overlap. I'll do a little more math.

Ceil

Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1702 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2010 :  9:18:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally sat down (while having a chocolate high) and plotted out all the stitches to see what to cast on for a one-piece CPH. That's when I began to understand the "running small" comment above. I hope I am correct in saying that the measurements given are >finished< measurements, not bust measurements. So, I'm going 4 inches larger than my bust to get the right size. Priscilla Gibson-Roberts says 4" of ease gives "regular" fit, something I have found to be true with other sweaters I have knitted.

Considering that the body without the ribbed edging is already bigger than my bust size (according to what the gauge is), this will shrink as cables are worked. When the ribbing goes on at the end, it should all work out fine. Now to get that gauge just right.

Just throwing this out there. It could make a difference for someone.

Ceil

Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1702 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  09:37:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am now knitting CPH. It's been going well the first few days, but now I am struggling with the >shaping< in this pattern and need some advice. I’m hoping people who have made CPH can tell me what will happen when the finished sweater is at last blocked, and if it might be a good idea to “adjust” the ribbing, namely add more ribs between cable areas and then decrease them out on the first body row. The ribbing compresses enough that the bottom of the hoodie, when not buttoned will open out wider. I don't think the ribbed edge around the front will help the hip band spread out so that the ribbing will hang straight from the body. OR, will blocking help? Note that I don't have a lot of faith in using blocking to >significantly< alter a project's shape. (I've had to do this with a couple felting patterns--arrgh.) Seems to me it's better to knit the shape the way I want it to begin with!

It's impossible to get a good read on the bottom of the finished CPH from the photo of the thinner model on the pattern download I got from Interweave. Her hands are in the way.

If you are on Ravelry and have already knitted CPH, you can read my “journal” for this project on my page, esp today’s entry (Oct. 8; my "handle" is ceilr, one more letter than my KR handle). Then share your comments over here in KR (where I can find them!).

Much appreciated,

Ceil

Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1702 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  9:05:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
CPH was finished a few days ago! I'm VERY happy with how it came out. Ravelers can see photos at my page; my handle is ceilr.

Ceil

Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
989 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  06:53:07 AM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for keeping us posted, Ceil! I can actually remember that that is one of the patterns I liked, the few times I've been on-line at Knitty this year.

Melanie in Indiana

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

FO 2009: small market/shower bag; gray watch cap; magic square potholder; five dish cloths, including two new patterns; Hedgerow Mitts! 2010: two pair felted clogs, two chemo caps for Mom

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe