Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning gadgets and accessories
 Things about carding
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Evergreen
Warming Up

54 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  11:46:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Evergreen's Homepage Send Evergreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a drum carder and the belt got old and broke. I ordered a new belt and it came as a straight piece of plastic. I called the company and he said you have to melt the ends and join them. I have tried that and I can't seem to get the pieces to stay together. This is making me crazy!! Does anyone have any tips on how to keep the ends together, or a resource for buying round, clear plastic belts that are already joined? HELP!

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  5:03:11 PM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, I have been wondering this also as I look at the belt on my drum carder.
I looked at the Ashford site and they had instructions for the poly-belt for spinning wheels, and it says you need a wooden fusing block, once the ends are hot and melty you put them in the fusing block. I don't know what this is but maybe someone else does.

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Kade1301
Permanent Resident

France
1438 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  03:45:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kade1301's Homepage Send Kade1301 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose this is a tool that helps you to not burn your fingers by holding the ends of the belt in place for you. I didn't have one when I joined the belt for my spinning wheel and I still have all my fingertips! But I suppose you could work with two pairs of pliers if you are worried. The principle is to melt both ends of the plastic belt in the flame of a candle, push them together and hold them in place till they are cold and joined together.

Otherwise, glue can work - but it must be the right sort of glue for the material and I can't help you there at all.

Bye, Klara

http://www.lahottee.info
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Warming Up

54 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  08:21:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Evergreen's Homepage Send Evergreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The gentleman I spoke with said its all about the tension you use when you hold the pieces together. If you push too hard, you move the hot plastic away and it doesn't hold. If you push not enough, you don't get enough contact for a good hold.
I don't know what the wood pieces are, anyone got a picture? But, I have tried lots of things to hold it and gotten a nice burn on my thumb from dropping hot plastic! I've tried duct tape, and several glues, super glue doesn't even work.
Maybe I got it this time, I was able to card for about an hour last night without it breaking. ARGH.
Go to Top of Page

jennybensmom
Chatty Knitter

182 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2010 :  01:46:13 AM  Show Profile Send jennybensmom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you can get the diameter of the cord, and then the overall length of the band, you can order a fused urethane drive belt from www.mcmaster.com

Try this link for a solid core drive belt:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#drive-belts/=8s6u7q

I've purchased drive belts for my spinning wheel from them before. I did find, however, that when I reduced the belt length by their recommendations, the belt was a little too small and didn't stretch out. So, you may want to keep the length pretty close to the needed length for your carder.

HTH

Barbara
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Warming Up

54 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2010 :  10:00:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Evergreen's Homepage Send Evergreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thank Barbara, I checked that site and it looks like just what I need.
Go to Top of Page

lisaandjo
New Pal

Australia
6 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  12:22:34 AM  Show Profile Send lisaandjo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi! get your,/or borrow an electric soldering iron from a friend, cut a piece of flat metal from a dogfood can, fruit can, any tin can available, 3/4" x 2 1/2", grip the 3/4" edge in a long nosed plier & roll around plier 1 turn that is smaller in diameter than the tip of alarge soldering iron or the heating coil of a small iron, we are needing a tight fit if possible, to transfer heat to our peice of tin, cut foot of tin to 1" from the iron, both have similar melt points, solder & urethane. hold the 2 cut ends together & apply a little pressure push the hot tin attached to iron into the join area you will see melting, keep holding belt ends, if you see melting through the belt diameter, lift iron with tin, do not move belt for 10 minutes, place in refrigerator for 10 minutes, remove & allow to settle for 6 hours, you've done it!
Shave off, grind off, the ridge at join, if a broken belt has broken at the join rejoin it.
Go to Top of Page

hotzcatz
New Pal

22 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2012 :  4:12:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit hotzcatz's Homepage Send hotzcatz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I sharpened an end of a paperclip and pushed that through the cord about a half inch from the end on both sides. Bent the ends of the paperclip back alongside the cord and it works well. I did start out with aquarium pump hose, though, since that's easy to get and inexpensive. Hmm, betcha heating up the paperclip (while holding it with pliers) would work well to get it to go through the plastic.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe