Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 OFF-TOPIC: Enter At Your Own Risk
 Economic / big business
 Death of a culture
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sara Sue
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  6:06:29 PM  Show Profile Send Sara Sue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Today was the last day of operation for P & J Oyster Distributors in New Orleans. No oysters available because of the oil spill. This is the first time this business has ceased operations since 1876 - 134 years.

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2678 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  6:16:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My heart is breaking for all the people (and creatures) in the Gulf. Such a stupid, stupid, tragic waste. I was out on a boat in Prince William Sound one year after the Exxon Valdez and remember how lifeless things were. The gravel beaches were cleared of oil, but covered with sea shells, washed up from the below where the oxygen had been cut off. It was a sight I'll never forget.

Luann

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sara Sue
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  6:50:53 PM  Show Profile Send Sara Sue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't even watch the news anymore. I don't live on the coast but it is still a huge part of my life. We eat seafood like most people eat potatoes. Shrimp spawn offshore from early spring to early fall and the young migrate into the marshes after about 30 days. So you can imagine what is happening to that life cycle now. The damage we can see happening is bad enough. I don't even want to think about the damage we can't see happening.
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5194 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2010 :  04:33:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's all so terrible, and it feels like that it's never going to end. I wish I was more optimistic that the people affected would be compensated fairly or that the ecosystem would be restored in a timely fashion, but it all looks so horrible.

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  11:33:58 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a new moratorium on drilling but it looks like that is directed at drilling without certain safeguards and not related to depth.

This is so terrible that I flat do not think about it. It makes me ill to paralyzed it is so bad.

Lella
Zippiknits
Go to Top of Page

Sara Sue
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  12:12:43 PM  Show Profile Send Sara Sue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's hoping and praying the new cap works.
Go to Top of Page

rosir
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
442 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  2:03:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit rosir's Homepage Send rosir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are no words. I weep for the people directly affected, but I also weep for our future generations. What a p!$$ poor job we have done as caretakers of our planet.
Rosi
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  2:07:18 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am usually a person with hope and optimisim. I find myself as of late virtually incapable of feeling that way.

M L
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1810 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  4:47:24 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My heart is heavy with everything. This is a very bad summer. Can anything be saved on the Gulf, where the oil has gone? I hope so.
Go to Top of Page

sjanova
Seriously Hooked

USA
963 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2010 :  6:47:17 PM  Show Profile Send sjanova a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the only marginally good news recently is that the turtle eggs that had been rescued have started hatching and the babies are getting into the water ok. DH said he heard or saw something about they weren't sure if they'd go back to lay eggs where they were born or where they originally had been laid. That will be an interesting thing to figure out someday. Otherwise, nothing looks happy to me.

sja
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?