Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Knitalongs
 June Woolalong: CVM/Romeldale, anyone?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  11:18:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello everybody, and happy June!

You’ve been such diligent woolalongers that I’ve decided to take you to the next level. You’re ready to stalk your prey. We’ve gone from bouncy (Cormo) to smoother (BFL) to a hybrid “smouncy” (Targhee) to the nuanced and multitextured Icelandic. And now? You’re ready for one of my very favorites. It’s actually two breeds, one being the multicolored variant of the other. We’re talking about…

Romeldale and California Variegated Mutant! So many of the breeds we’ve explored were developed with meat in mind, and/or with the goal of a bright white fiber for the commercial textiles market. Or, in the case of Icelandic, to serve as a one-stop shop for all our needs.

But the Romeldale and California Variegated Mutant (or CVM as the cool kids call it) were developed much more recently for their FIBER, specifically for handspinners. Which means that when a multicolored animal appeared in the flock, it wasn’t swiftly chopped up and put in the freezer. It was prized and carefully bred with the hopes of producing more.

In case you don’t have your copy of KBOW handy, here’s the abbreviated story:

In 1915, a man named A. T. Spencer attended the Pan-American exposition in San Francisco and was so smitten with a group of New Zealand Romney rams on display that he bought the whole mob and brought them back to his ranch. There he diligently bred them with his flock of Rambouillet ewes with the hope of improving the fleece staple and length, and thus the Romeldale breed began. In the 1940s and ’50s, the J. K. Sexton family continued the breeding and helped fine-tune the Romeldale breed.

The multicolored variant of the Romeldale sheep, the CVM was developed by Glen Eidman after he discovered a multicolored ewe lamb in his flock of Romeldale sheep. He was intrigued because the Romeldale breed usually does not produce multiple colors. When a similar-patterned ram was born a few years later, Eidman decided to cross the two and see if he could replicate the patterning. Over the next 15 years, he diligently continued to selectively breed subsequent generations until he had developed what is now known as the California Variegated Mutant. Upon his retirement in 1982, he dispersed his entire flock of approximately 75 sheep to other farms across California, and the breed continues to grow.

With the exception of fleece color, the Romeldale and CVM are essentially identical. Both are extremely soft and pleasant to the touch, with a uniform long-staple fleece with a well-defined crimp. (Think about it: If they blend Romney and Rambouillet, you get the delicate softness of Rambouillet with the heartier, more open disposition of Romney). Available primarily in fleece form for handspinners, Romeldale and CVM can be spun woolen or worsted depending on the staple length and the spinner’s objectives (loftier for softness and warmth, tighter for greater durability).

CVM and Romeldale are still relatively rare in the commercial yarn world. This means you’ll need to use your highly tuned spidey senses to find a source - and share what you’ve found here. As always Jane will continue to update the resource list as new farms and Etsy shops are found.

I’ll kick off the list with Roubaix Wool - I believe someone might have tipped me off about them here. Their 90% CVM/10%mohair yarn is quite nice - earthy but somewhat delicate and faintly luminous at the same time.

Other finds include:
Long Ridge Farm
Winter Wind
Yellow Creek Cottage
Sheepy Thyme Farm

Here’s a list of Nebraska breeders, and of course don’t forget the National CVM Conservancy.

And in terms of spinning fiber, I just noticed that Jen at Spirit-Trail has several colors and blends available right now. As for the others, I look forward to seeing what you find. (Since this inevitably means I must also order from these sources. For… cough… research purposes.)

Thanks for playing along. Happy hunting!!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

581 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  1:16:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in with my CVM/bombyx silk blend from Long Ridge Farm. Another shawl is in the offing ...

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  1:39:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is that "offing" or "offering"? My suggestive mind read the latter - in which case I'll take it, thank you very much!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2674 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  1:51:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be spinning (!) some CVM/alpaca and CVM/Romeldale fiber from my stash. A few months ago I didn't even know what CVM was. This wool-a-long is really the best thing ever, Clara.

I have been practicing with my spindle the last two nights and it's really amazing how much improvement comes in a short time. I won't be making lace yarn any time soon but I do feel like I am able to make yarn I'd actually like to knit with.

Luann

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4391 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2010 :  03:02:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Clara...As always Jane will continue to update the resource list as new farms and Etsy shops are found.

When she stops slacking and actually does it, that is!

I missed Icelandic completely, backtracked to spin some BFL, and haven't finished my Targhee yet, but I love CVM and I'm going to spin a little this month even if it's just a bobbinful!

Jane

Betty needs a warm hat: Support KR
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

rosir
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
442 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2010 :  05:45:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit rosir's Homepage Send rosir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yes, Jane you "ignorant slacker". It's not as if you had to move an entire book store, or anything. This, right before the marauding tribes of (g)literati and fashionistas descended on you little piece of heaven. Biting your tongue, alone, must take heaps of energy every day. It would me. So no more slacker talk, sweet Jane. You are a modern marvel of industry and calm in a sea of madness every summer.
Rosi,
who has tourist issues of her own, but hardly the rich and famous sort
Go to Top of Page

One Stitch at a Time
Chatty Knitter

298 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2010 :  08:58:36 AM  Show Profile Send One Stitch at a Time a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm so excited. Just scored a skein of HandDyed, CVM/Soysilk Sock in Autumn colors from Winterwind Farm (Art Fire). Spent way too much $$, but who cares? We can go without dinner for a few days .
Can't wait to touch, sniff and knit it up!

Nanci
Go to Top of Page

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

581 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2010 :  10:13:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But Clara, you already have eleventy Prairie Rose Shawls all to yourself!

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3465 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2010 :  6:04:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't believe I don't have any CVM/Romeldale in my stash! I'll have to remedy to that at this weekend's Maine Fiber Frolic...
Go to Top of Page

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

581 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  06:37:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is that even remotely possible, Minh? Talk about something you'll fix in a nanosecond ...

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2674 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  09:17:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's too funny, Minh, since the CVM and Romeldale fiber I have came from you! The Spirit Trail roving you scored in the Stash Lounge at the Retreat and then passed to me when we were in our hotel room busily bending the laws of physics to fit our new yarn into our suitcases...

Luann

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KnittingKittens
Chatty Knitter

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  04:36:01 AM  Show Profile Send KnittingKittens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a partially knit scarf to match my Maine Morning Mitts and it is CVM/ Romeldale from the Palmer Family Farm in Tolland,CT bought at CT Sheep & Wool in April. I like it!
Go to Top of Page

minh

USA
3465 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  4:34:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It might take me a while to find my CVM/Romeldale soulmate...
- First, I pass on some roving to Luann.
- Second, despite NutmegOwl's comment I wasn't able to find any CVM at the Maine fiber frolic -- unless I was willing to buy a whole fleece which I'm not ready to do yet. I talked to the people at the CVM table in the sheep barn, there are only a few CVM breeders in Maine.

I'll go back to my unspun Targhee and un-knit Icelandic while hunting for some CVM.

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1809 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  5:23:49 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in!
I got one skein (the last one for now) from Roubaix wool, and will knit a something--its only 200 yards, but it will be lovely.
This is such a great idea to help us learn about breed specific wools. I have missed the earlier ones, but have knit Icelandic, and will try Targhee before long.
Keep us going, Clara, and thanks!
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  03:44:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
CVM - a long time favorite of mine. I am still captured by evil cotton but I think I might delve into cvm this summer. Thanks for the idea.

Bess
http://likethequeen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

One Stitch at a Time
Chatty Knitter

298 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  08:47:45 AM  Show Profile Send One Stitch at a Time a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Minh- check out winterwindfarm.com where I found my CVM. Last I looked, there was yarn available for sale.
You aren't getting off the hook (so to speak) that easily.
Enablers, we are!!

Nanci
Go to Top of Page

minh

USA
3465 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  7:26:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Nanci for enabling me! Now I have to decide between the yarn or the roving (which I could use as part of the Tour de Fleece). Of course, I can always get both...
Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  07:13:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a bit over-extended (money and fiber project wise) right now and have opted to skip this month. However, I have put this fiber on my list of things to watch for in the future. It sounds like it would make a great pair of bed socks for those cold winter night (which I am having trouble remembering right now. It's been hot in Maryland). I am currently spinning Wensleydale on one spindle, finishing up some llama top on two more, a silk and merino blend on another and Rambouillet on my wheel. I'm knitting two sweaters, 2 shawls and an afghan. I wanna join in but can't. : (

Linda, knitting and spinning away in MD
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1809 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  6:41:18 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The most recent "Spin-Off" magazine has a lovely scarf on the cover, and I will start that for this June knitalong tonight, so I get in my start under the wire!

Anna
Go to Top of Page

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

581 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2010 :  11:29:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must not be ready for summer to end, since I just finished blocking my June WAL project.

Lots of photos of my now-finishedPrairie Rose Shawl here on flickr. Details on the blog.

Now I can go back to working on the February assignment ...

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1809 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2010 :  4:56:26 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lovely, Miss Owl! And a beautiful color.

Anna
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?