Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitter's Swap
 Book and Magazine Swap
 Looking for 1970s knitting catalogs and magazines
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aknit4U
New Pal

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  2:36:17 PM  Show Profile Send Aknit4U a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi
I have a few sweater pictures and i am looking fo find the magazines or catalogs they were taken from.
Now i have been told that these sweater models match the 1975 to 1983 era, and may come from Phildar, Pingouin, Scheepjes, Vogue, Neveda and even 101 sweaters.
I'm sure some of you have vintage knitting catalogs, could you please check to see if you have them, if you do and you don't want to sell them at least let me know of the magazine name, number and year.
Thank You
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2010-3/1354918/2127401

P.S.I am also looking at magazines or catalogs of the same era that has the same turtleneck style or any big turtleneck pre 1983.

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  4:40:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mmmm, let me just stop what I'm doing and go find 10 or 15 of those 30 year old magazines and go through them, jotting down all the pertinent information. Why, you ask? I have no idea.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

Aknit4U
New Pal

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  5:22:37 PM  Show Profile Send Aknit4U a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes i know what you mean, it is time consuming, but if you do find them and want to sell them, i'm ready to pay a very good price for them
Go to Top of Page

Molly Bygolly
Chatty Knitter

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2010 :  07:15:56 AM  Show Profile Send Molly Bygolly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I clicked on the link, but your photo account is no longer active.

Have you already had the sweater patterns identified?

If not, is it possible to post photographs here in this thread?

Do you by any chance happen to know if your items were marketed in KITS, or were in actual Pattern Booklets or were featured in 1970s knitting magazines?

Thanks.

AND..... to anyone who happens to open this messagethread, is there really any reason to hang onto all those 1960s/1970s knitting magazines???

A friend gave me a huge stash of them, and after removing any of the Aran patterns I'd decided to pack them up and donate them ..... what say you?

Are magazines of that era a useful "TRADE" item on knitting chatboards???

TIA
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2010 :  09:50:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Molly, I have several that were my MIL's and use them to design new sweaters. A little bit of this and a little bit of that.

The one pattern I would love to have is just the plain old cardigan that Mr. Rogers used to wear, the one pattern his mom used.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!
Go to Top of Page

mrssuem
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
457 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2010 :  2:15:06 PM  Show Profile Send mrssuem a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess we hang on to them in the event someone is looking for a pattern and maybe it is in the collection of patterns that one can amass over a time. I inherited my mom's old books, also got some from an elderly lady who was cleaning out her house and also got a number of old patterns from someone on this forum that offered them for the price of postage. So that's probably why some of us keep them, to offer them to others eventually and/or look for particular patterns for a member. :)
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2010 :  3:05:26 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is pretty close to Mr Rogers' sweater http://www.etsy.com/listing/59460071/mr-rogers-mens-cardigan-zipper-sweater?ref=cat1_gallery_30

It's interesting to search for Mr Rogers' sweaters - they really are all different! Some have a sort of collar, some have more of a v-front. The red one in the Smithsonian has cables. I would like to know what pattern(s) his mom used, or if she was just tweaking an old standard.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

Marie
Chatty Knitter

347 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2010 :  3:44:24 PM  Show Profile Send Marie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.1datingsites.com/blog/2008/11/100-types-of-sweaters-you-should-avoid-wearing-on-the-first-date/

Googling for a good look at Mr. Rogers' sweaters, I stumbled upon this funny...

Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted. ~John Lennon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?