Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Needles and Security
 Qantas = no needles!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fwshorty
Chatty Knitter

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  6:59:36 PM  Show Profile Send fwshorty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Qantas does NOT allow knitting needles on their flights.

I was dismayed to find this rule listed in an e-mail I got from Qantas just before my recent flight LA to Auckland. I checked at the ticket counter and they verified it. Although I knew the needles would not be a problem at USA's TSA security check, I did not know if there would be additional checks since it was an international flight, and I did not want to risk having them taken by a flight attendant.

Not so bad on the nighttime flight to Auckland, but the afternoon return flight got tedious because I wasn't sleepy and the movie system was not working!

Eileen

maltesegypsy
New Pal

Australia
3 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  9:52:44 PM  Show Profile Send maltesegypsy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eileen
I travel a lot and the no knitting needles rule appears common to many airlines. The rules have been relaxed for domestic travel and I found the following on the Qantas website:

From 25 December 2009 the following items may now be taken through security screening points and into the sterile area of airports within Australia:

knitting and crochet needles

Cheers
Maltesegypsy
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  8:47:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just returned from the UK. I showed three different United employees at Heathrow my size 1, bamboo, 4 inch dpns, and all of them had question marks in their eyes. I packed the knitting into my checked luggage, and pulled it out again after getting through Customs at Dulles. Fortunately, I planned on something else to do for the trip back to the USA, non-knitting but necessary.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

698 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  03:30:57 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I spent Easter in Sweden and had no problem bringing my sock knitting project onboard SAS in the hand luggage.

Kristina
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  4:45:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm really surprised that QANTAS bans knitting needles, they used to say they were banned under Australian law and therefore were not allowed on flights as QANTAS flies under Australian laws. This is no longer the case so they can't rely on that excuse any more, I wonder why they have a blanket ban on them.

Wen

by the way if you are wondering why QANTAS is in caps, it is an acronym.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wen1965/sets/72157623175907664/show/ 2010 FO
http://wenswoolgathering.wordpress.com/ My blog
Go to Top of Page

sockjoan
Warming Up

Australia
58 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2011 :  05:22:59 AM  Show Profile Send sockjoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I travelled on Qantas domestic flights a couple of weeks ago and had no trouble with circular knitting-needles; I checked very carefully first as I didn't want to lose my Addi Turbos!
A few years ago a knitter colleague was travelling to a medical conference in Scandinavia. He asked about knitting and was told "No way!" But he was travelling with Malaysian Airlines, so he engaged his brain & packed his ball of sock yarn in his hand-luggage, along with an emery-board and a pencil-sharpener.
For his first meal on the plane he selected kebabs. Once he'd eaten the meat, he washed the sticks, sharpened their points, and sanded them with the emery-board. Then he happily knitted socks the rest of the way.
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1236 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2011 :  07:34:51 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sockjoan, that's freaking hysterical. Your friend is so resourceful! I was wondering about using two pencils on a flight. That might work. I could go to the art store with my needle gauge measuring tool and find the ones closest to the right size! They'd let a nice girl on a flight witha coupla pencils, right?

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

mathiemom
Chatty Knitter

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2011 :  10:43:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit mathiemom's Homepage Send mathiemom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would think that short bamboo or wood dpns would make it through any country or airline's security just fine - just put them on your carry-on and don't draw attention to them or yourself. Seriously, what kind of mayhem could anyone possibly inflict with them? They've gone back to serving first class passengers with metal flatware and glass drinking containers, which I'd think would be far riskier. (After all, the 9/11 hijackers sat in 1st class.)

The only time I've ever had a problem was with a sz 6 Addi Turbo on an intra-country flight in Brazil. Yes, they took my needle and it was a shame. But I fly a lot and always take my knitting, so I feel like that was like a cost of doing business. If I had any cause for concern, I'd take short bamboo dpns.

Frankly, I'm much more perturbed about the "enhanced pat-downs". I have extensive surgical hardware and cannot walk through a metal detector without alarming. I seek out the new full-body scanners, but they're not yet commonplace and are often not in use even if present. So, who is weeded out for scrutiny by metal detectors? People who've had orthopedic surgery, that's who. Clearly, we're a high-risk group for terrorism! The new pat-downs are extremely intrusive and offend even me - and I'm generally not bothered by such things. They're miserable for the passenger as well as for the TSA officer conducting the search.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

neraksenrab
Chatty Knitter

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2011 :  04:23:03 AM  Show Profile Send neraksenrab a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite international experience was in England where there was a huge sign - "no knitting needles" so when I checked in I held out plastic Bryspun sock needles and a set of bamboo double points and asked "Not even these knitting needles?" The security person (who must have been a knitter) looked at me and smiled. "Those will get through security just fine and if someone asks on the plane -- tell them it's a new string game in the US -- they won't know with 4 needles." Worked like a charm. Wendy,I agree with you on security. I just got back from a trip yesterday and have bionic knees. The security check was so invasive it made me gasp and I, like you, take most of this in stride. It was beyond what was necessary or appropriate. Karen
Go to Top of Page

mathiemom
Chatty Knitter

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2011 :  10:49:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit mathiemom's Homepage Send mathiemom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Karen, thank you for the validation. :-)

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2011 :  9:02:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Joan, there has been no problems with domestic flights since the laws changed in January 2010 on Virgin, QANTAS or Jetstar. I've never flown Tiger so I can't comment on that. Security at the airports were prepared for the new laws straight away I flew with knitting on the 2nd day.

Wen

Go to Top of Page

busygirl
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
1673 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2011 :  7:32:17 PM  Show Profile Send busygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote

DH and I have just returned from a trip to Australia and having been on Qantas flights in the past,I mad a point of packing my knitting in my checked-in luggage. I also put my cosmetic bag which contained a small pair of nail scissors and tweezers in my checked-in luggage, but on the return trip I made the mistake of putting the cosmetic bag in my carry on bag, which resulted in the scissors being taken off me,but they were not too worried about the tweezers!

Leslie

My Pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/busygirl/
My Blog
http://lesliea-cosycorner.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1236 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2011 :  08:38:51 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wen, May I ask which new laws? Do you have a link? I haven't heard about them. Thank you,

Robinsteph

Go to Top of Page

auntlinda
Chatty Knitter

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2011 :  3:04:23 PM  Show Profile Send auntlinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
see: http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/country-specific-carry-on-baggage/global/en#jump0

~Linda
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1236 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2011 :  6:05:45 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, I see. Thank you, Linda. Looks like these are rules specifically for Qantas. Good to know they're becoming more flexibile. I'm hoping to fly to Scotland next year; I suppose the thing to do is check the requirements of the particular airline before I leave.

Thank you,

Robinsteph

Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2011 :  3:54:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message  Reply with Quote

No, those are the Australian Government laws, so they apply to all Australian Airlines (QANTAS, Virgin Australia, Virgin Blue, Tiger [if they get back in the air]) and all aircraft leaving Australia, the QANTAS page just happened to be the one that was linked. If you are going from US to Scotland and back it will be the US law and UK laws and the regulations on the airline you fly with that will effect what you can take on board.

Wen

Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1236 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2011 :  12:20:41 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I get it. Thanks, Wen, that's really helpful. For some reason, rules and regulations just make my mind go blank!

Robinsteph

Go to Top of Page

Shellizabeth
Chatty Knitter

Canada
312 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2011 :  1:54:19 PM  Show Profile Send Shellizabeth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I flew from Canada to the US and then on to Australia with my Harmony circulars and knit socks there and back, no one even questioned them. I also flew on Virgin Blue and knit with no problems at all. They never so much as looked at me. I have been lucky, never been patted down, scanned or anything.

There is no such thing as too much yarn or too many needles!! Or too many knitting bags either!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe