Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sweater Talk
 From Knitty.com: Cinxia
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  10:45:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anybody making this? I'm VERY attracted to the design, but am now finding problems with the stitch numbers in various places (and the reasoning for a K2tog that isn't quite at the center back of the sweater). Will be interested to hear others' experiences.

Ceil

Time is never a factor when joy is involved.

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2594 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  10:55:53 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First of all, here's a link to the pattern for anyone who wants it: http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall05/PATTcinxia.html

Second, I love this sweater!

Third, there seems to be some directions in red - perhaps corrections?

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2378 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  12:25:24 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked that pattern, too, but never tried it.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
Go to Top of Page

sandyt
Permanent Resident

USA
3101 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  1:21:19 PM  Show Profile Send sandyt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've made it and was very happy with the finished cardi. I wear it often in the fall. Pics on flickr: www.flickr.com/sandyt2007

I do close it in a different spot with a larger pin. I used 2 yarns held together-Rowan Calmer and a Feza mohair laceweight, so it has subtle striping and texture. It was kind of a pain to knit-it's done TBLs! I was happy when it ws finished!

Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  4:13:54 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sandy, I checked out your flickr pics, and although I didn't catch the Cinxia pic, I had a good time oohing and aaahing over your work and stuff!

Thanks, and beautifully done work!

Anna
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2594 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  4:20:56 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Question: Some of the people on Ravelry who made this sweater noted that it slips back on the shoulders. Is that a problem for you, Sandy? (I didn't see your pics either, btw.)

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

sandyt
Permanent Resident

USA
3101 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  7:24:10 PM  Show Profile Send sandyt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My pics are several pages in-I'll look it up and give the page numbers. Pages 11 and 13 have pics of the cardi.

Yes, the sweater has to be pinned closed on me or it will not stay on my shoulders. It is one of the few sweaters that I have knit without set-in sleeves.

Ceil, I don't remember any difficulty with stitch counts, but I did make it a couple of years ago, I think.
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2010 :  12:32:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, thanks! Now here are some more questions:

1. Do the front edges curl in? I'm swatching now, and am getting some curling. This goes away when I continue the slip-stitch pattern up each side, BUT this border produces shorter stitches than in the twisted stockinette stitch. (Sorry, I don't like a "naked" edge.)

2. How did you decrease--K2tog and ssk--in the twisted st st area?

3. I wonder if the slipping back on the shoulders comes from trying to straighten the lower edge? The front is supposed to hang lower than the back, from what I can tell. However, might it be the neck shaping with short rows that's doing this? Or, do the sleeves need to be a couple stitches closer to the center back?

4. The stitch count is off by one stitch in the body decrease row. I should have 234 for M size, but get 233 when counting the stitches in this row a number of ways. Plus, the center back decrease isn't in the center! Anyone else discover this?

Thanks,

Ceil

Go to Top of Page

sandyt
Permanent Resident

USA
3101 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2010 :  4:16:39 PM  Show Profile Send sandyt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Ceil,

I've taken a close look at my cardi. Yes, the front edges curl in slightly. The decreases? well, it's been a couple of years, but I'm going to say that upon very close examination, it looks like I just decreased as I would if it weren't in a twisted knit pattern. I can't tell, honestly! The DCs blend in and are not discernable until I'm looking for them. Doesn't an SSK twist the stitches anyway? Did I K2Tog thru the back loops? maybe. I can't tell.

I think the slipping issue is probably due to: 1. the depth of the 'armhole', or at what point the sleeves were joined. I remember adding some additional rows before I did the BO for the sleeve, and 2. as you said, the short row shaping of the yoke.

I made a size XL or 1X, so I can't remember if the stitch count was off. I think it was fine-I would probably remember if I needed to recalculate anything. (My fuzzy brain does remember adding a few rows for the sleeve, tho!)

Good luck! Let me know if I can help further (is this help???)

It's a great cardi. Enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  08:25:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sandyt, yes it IS help; your feedback is great!

I got some answers to the slipping-off-shoulders question in "Knitting in the Old Way". I'm going to work a set of 5 short rows just before the first yoke dec rnd.

One more thing I am wondering about is the 6" cuffs, which are then folded. Does the inside portion of the cuff bunch up because of the fold? I am thinking about purling one full round after 3" of cuff to not only create a fold line but also dec 4 sts to make the inside of the sleeve smaller (which means I'll CO 4 extra stitches for the outer cuff). I considered switching to twisted st st after 3" of cuff, but notice now on my tube sample that it's much nicer to see the cuff pattern on the inside of the sleeve, too.

Finally, because the twisted st st torques enough in my sample, the cuff pattern really needs a multiple of 4 sts to look even all the way around. (I'm a little nervous that blocking isn't going to be quite enough to permanently straighten out the torque. I've written to the designer but haven't heard back yet.) The designated multiple of 4 sts + 3 in the pattern places 6 K or P stitches in a row at the underarm. BUT, because of the torquing, this "seam" will move towards the front of the jacket and be visible. So, I'm going to add a stitch to the number for my size to remove this gap from the pattern.

After all that, sigh..... But I love the design.

Ceil

Go to Top of Page

sandyt
Permanent Resident

USA
3101 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  12:30:04 PM  Show Profile Send sandyt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm happy with the cuffs. Can't wait to see your beautiful cardi!! good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  4:07:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, it's been a while, but here we go again:

This sweater is mostly twisted stockinette. I have just worked the first big decrease row in the yoke. Is there any reason why the designer would state K2togs when SSKs are easier to do? Just wondering. I did SSKs. (I never did hear from the designer re: previous questions.)

Ceil

Go to Top of Page

AngieSue
Permanent Resident

USA
1606 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  7:40:23 PM  Show Profile Send AngieSue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ladies, thank you for all the tips for Cinxia. I started the cardigan back in March and it's been sitting on the needles waiting for cold weather. I did moss stitch for the bottom border and the cuffs as the other pattern wasn't showing up well with my yarn choice. I've been wanting to make this cardigan for quite awhile...and in red! The twisted stitch really slowed down my knitting but one sleeve, the body and part of another sleeve are done.

Angie
My Ravelry
My Pictures
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2010 :  10:24:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The latest: All that's left now is the collar. Ahem....

FROG!

I thought long and hard about doing this and then got the niddy-noddy out. The sweater looked beautiful, but it was way too big, and frankly, wider plackets would have kept the front edges from rolling quite so much. Two weeks of work returned to yarn in 45 minutes. Then I gave it all a good soak to take the kinks out.

I think I've got the numbers right this time. Starting over....

Ceil

Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  8:34:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I just thought I'd let everyone know that success is on the way. Plackets as wide as the hip band are stopping the curling (1 inch wide wasn't enough; I took the time to find that out before frogging--see previous post). There's still a little roll trying to form in the middle of the placket, but blocking should easily knock that out. Best of all, it looks like I got the stitch numbers right this time, because I can already tell that it fits better. It's not done yet, but I'm leaving on a 10-day trip and taking it along. Gosh, it's close! Hopefully I will have something stylish and cozy to wear by the end of this weekend--yeah, alpaca in 80+ degree weather in Kansas! This has been quite the journey, and I've learned a lot.

Next up is my dream sweater.

Ceil

Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  5:29:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FINISHED on Oct. 2, 2010. I soaked and blocked it yesterday; it's dry! Our little knitting group is meeting tomorrow, so I will wear it!

It came out well. Adding plackets was worth it; stops the front edges from curling, which they would certainly do no matter how hard I try to flatten them. (It really makes me wonder why the designer doesn't like plackets. Without them, the jacket seems unfinished. And frankly, I'm into all that construction stuff.)

I also worked short rows just before the first yoke dec row, as well as where specified at the neck. No way is this sweater/jacket going to slide down my back off my shoulders. Finally, I put one row of K a little shy of the halfway point of each cuff to create a natural fold. This way, I don't have to tack them down.

It took an awful lot of math and two frogs to get this to work out. It took all summer (as you can see from my first post!). Happy to move on to something else (all of my other sweaters have taken 1-2.5 weeks), AND to have something dressy and warm to wear when we go to the mountains in a couple weeks (Berocco Ultra Alpaca, in a dark teal--wonderful color!).

Ceil
Go to Top of Page

sandyt
Permanent Resident

USA
3101 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  9:37:04 PM  Show Profile Send sandyt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats! Do you have pictures? Love to see them!
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  3:45:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm working on photos!

Ceil

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe