Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Needles and Security
 Air France took my Addi Turbos!! plus
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

elainefeit@aol.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2011 :  04:19:45 AM  Show Profile Send elainefeit@aol.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have traveled quite a bit on airplanes and have taken my knitting with me on the plane. The only time there was a problem was right after 911 and then I always packed my needles in the stored luggage until the restrictions were lightened up. This past trip I took my needles on board on Delta to Barcelona. However, when we left Paris yesterday on Air France, my needles, stitch holders and fold up scissors were confiscated. When the person who told me that I could not take my needles on board started ripping my finished piece off the needle holder, I reakky got upset. Nine hours on a place with no knitting!!

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2584 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2011 :  04:59:07 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rules are generally stricter at airports outside the US - was that your first (recent) non-US boarding or non-US airline?

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2011 :  06:00:07 AM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear this happened to you without warning and without an option! I once forgot that my small Ghinger scissors were in my purse, they put them in an envelope and checked them as luggage. I was gratefull.

Again, sorry. I can't imagine enduring than many hours with knitting!!!

Consuelo
"Travel is fatal to prejudice" Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

NastiJ
Permanent Resident

1288 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2011 :  3:25:24 PM  Show Profile Send NastiJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elainefeit@aol.com

I have traveled quite a bit on airplanes and have taken my knitting with me on the plane. The only time there was a problem was right after 911 and then I always packed my needles in the stored luggage until the restrictions were lightened up. This past trip I took my needles on board on Delta to Barcelona. However, when we left Paris yesterday on Air France, my needles, stitch holders and fold up scissors were confiscated. When the person who told me that I could not take my needles on board started ripping my finished piece off the needle holder, I reakky got upset. Nine hours on a place with no knitting!!

I am sorry you did not check here first - there have been many discussions since 9/11 about the fact that only the TSA has a public policy - in the USA only - of allowing knitting in checked luggage (and how even that is subject to the whim of the individual employee).

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2011 :  4:28:48 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope this doesn't sound sexist, but what is with the airlines around the world? Do they really just want to make misery for women knitters who have to fly? And why would they take your stitch holders? That really bites!

Lella

Zippiknits

"Life is good if you don't weaken." Calvin Coolidge
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2011 :  4:39:40 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never take my Addis on a plane. If they confiscate a pair of bamboo or othe kind, I can live with that, but not my Addis. I know that had to be hard for you.

M L
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

680 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2011 :  04:02:19 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had no trouble bringing my knitting at Easter when I flew to Scandinavia. I did stick to a small sock project with bamboo needles, and packed an extra set in the checked bag just in case. That must have hurt to lose your addis.

Kristina
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2011 :  05:56:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I threw away my Addis in Germany. The guy was REALLY suspicious of me because I had only one carry-on bag, I had an SLR and not a digital camera, I didn't have an iPod or cell phone with me, etc. He was looking for any reason to not let me get on the plane with my ONE carry-on bag and honed in on my knitting. I was pissed and happily threw my Addis in the trash because I was getting on that damn plane with ONE carry-on bag.

"I'm telling you, we're in a M. Night Shyamalan flick."
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1701 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2011 :  8:45:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I returned from the UK almost a month ago. I brought 2 sets of 4" bamboo US 1 dpns, which had gloves in progress on them. I asked THREE people at United before forking over my suitcase at Heathrow if they thought the needles would get through okay. All three of them had question marks in their eyes. That was okay. Before I left the US for the UK, I planned an editing project for the UK to Dulles leg home. But after I got through US Customs at Dulles and just before re-submitting my suitcase, well, I hauled out my knitting, tossed the Royal Wedding newspapers in the suitcase (after all, it wasn't going to be weighed again) and got ready for a fine time from Dulles to Denver. And TSA stopped me at Dulles. No, not for the knitting. They wondered if the tuna fish I had was safe!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

hotzcatz
New Pal

22 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2012 :  3:06:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit hotzcatz's Homepage Send hotzcatz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Take along a fair sized shipping envelope with enough postage to mail it home with you when you go through security. Then you can mail your Aldi turbos home along with your favorite small pen knife or whatever else is deemed too dangerous to fly. If the postage is insufficient, you may have to pay a bit more when you pick up the package, but that's cheaper than new Aldi Turbos.
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2345 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  07:15:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hotzcatz, welcome to KR. You've re-opened a number of older aged topics, but especially in this one, there's lots of info on various threads about mailing and envelopes, which like TSA and the various international securities varies a lot from airport to airport. For example in San Francisco there's no mail drop without going completely OUTSIDE the airport building (I like to pay bills while I'm flying, I'm a multi-tasker) while in Chicago at the United terminal they have envelopes and a mail drop right at the screening machines.

Just flew back from the UK this week and Italy recently, and no problems at all with knitting needles. My thought is that it's the rare European airport with any issues these days.

Shelia
www.breezyridgestudio.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  04:11:48 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Australia still has problems despite the fact that they have supposedly relaxed their regulations.
You can bring knitting needles provided they are not metal so I brought the cheapest plastic ones I could find. I managed to knit with them and will keep them in case I ever need to bring knitting on a plane again. I had my metal ones in my checked luggage.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1553 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  3:08:34 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That actually sounds like Air France. They are French.

Shirley, Dana Point, CA

...I'm fairly certain that, given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world.

Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1784 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  9:04:35 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know its politically incorrect, but I"m with Shirley, above. Air France is French, and you never know. I have had luck with my knitting needles, but bad luck in Paris with my little Swiss Army knife.

The French TSA guy (who had amazingly long, delicate hands issuing from his immaculate uniform cuffs), said, "It is for-bidden."

"It is for-bidden".

"I will take it *now*. " (you have to hear a precise French accent here).

I crept away. This was at least 8-9 years ago.

Disclaimer: my son lives in Rennes, in Brittany so I love France!

Anna

Life is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  04:34:43 AM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be flying Boston to San Diego next week and will be leaving the socks with 2 set of Addi circulars at home in favor a cowl project with wooden interchangeables!

emmyc
winchester ma
Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  06:53:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No reason to, Emmy. I've flown all over the US and Carribean with tiny needles.

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!
Go to Top of Page

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  04:36:25 AM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rachel! I've decided to at least put the socks and addis in my suitcase in case I happen to finish the cowl, which is conceivable given the design and amount of time I'll be sitting on a plane!

emmyc
winchester ma
Go to Top of Page

Babsy
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2013 :  09:02:38 AM  Show Profile Send Babsy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I travel abroad quite often. Thus far, I have not had any problems with security people in Mexico, England, France, Switzerland, Turkey, Croatia, Italy, Spain, Holland or South Africa over the past 4-5 years. I've taken knitting in my purse on all those trips flying Delta, United, Air France,Croatia Air, SwissAir and a few other small carriers. I've flown with metal and bamboo needles, Addis and other brands and no problems thus far. I think sometimes it is the random security agent in Europe who takes it upon him/herself to set the rules. And believe me, I would not argue. I'd hate to lose my needles, but I would much rather get on the plane than be taken somewhere to be questioned by foreign security! I will say that Spain and Mexico were the tightest security checkpoints I've ever gone through since just after 911.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe