Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Boys Who Knit
 What to make after the garter stitch scarf...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  04:54:40 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My son finished his first scarf, and is quite pleased with himself! Now he wants to start project number TWO. But what? If he was a girl, I'd have him try a bag. One of his knitting friends is making a baby blanket for a gift for a pregnant teacher. I thought maybe a hat, but he didn't get real excited. Give me some ideas, folks! I really want this kid to keep knitting! It was HIS idea to learn, and, who knows how far this will go. I'd love to see him as an adult, working on a sweater....

Jan

kikiskyste
Chatty Knitter

USA
216 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  05:17:59 AM  Show Profile Send kikiskyste a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He probably would be excited to make a sweater-can he purl yet? If you teach him decreasing and purling, he's all set. I teach a lot of friends to knit and after the scarf, I put them right into a sweater. I had my friend do the Wallaby-hooded sweatshirt knitted in the round-all knit. I had to help her along as she went, but thats the best way to learn.....a simple pattern with different techniques to learn as you go.

What I would do is find a simple pattern and work with him on it. Encourage him by telling him he will learn as he gos. Also, how old is he? If he's a kid, there are great toy patterns out there for him to look at as well.

My 7 year old knits and has a lion he is working on. He learned in school and has class twice a week. I wish he loved it more-he would rather play with his lego!
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  09:39:32 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a free pattern on my blog for a top down sweater. If it is made with a rolled neckline finish and bottom all he would have to know is cast on, knit stitch, one increase (even a YO) and bind off. If he knows how to purl then he can use ribbing around the neck, sleeves and bottom.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  6:48:56 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He's 13, and growing more every week.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

Outdoorknitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
211 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  9:21:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Outdoorknitter's Homepage Send Outdoorknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My 12-yo daughter has made me a cell phone carrier, herself a game-boy "case" to hold the player and the games, and now is working on an mp3/ipod holder. All are very similar and can be knitted in the round or on straights and seamed. She did an i-cord handle, so learned that as well.

If I remember back, her 2nd project was a dishcloth for her Aunt. It had a dragonfly design, very simple...just knit and purl. That probaby wouldn't excite him much either, unless he had someone to make it for and the pleasure was in the giving.

Good luck!

Joan

Laughter is an instant vacation. - Milton Berle

http://www.localneedle.com
joan@localneedle.com
My Blog: http://outdoorknitter.wordpress.com/

Go to Top of Page

Jewles
Chatty Knitter

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2007 :  06:52:08 AM  Show Profile Send Jewles a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If he made a basic garter stitch scarf, there are other types of scarves that are a little more challenging or using different types of yarn. My son made a chenille and fun fur scarf (garter stitch) for my step-mom and is now working on a basket weave scarf for himself. The basket weave is nice because he is following a pattern. We made a 'tracking sheet' in excel for him and he marks off each pattern row as he completes it.
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  08:11:18 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He decided on another scarf - this one is for his sister.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

carolbeech
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  08:18:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit carolbeech's Homepage Send carolbeech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sally Melville's first book is all knit stitches - and there is a picture of a boy wearing the child's version of the Einstein coat. If you don't have the book, check your library.
Connie

www.carolbeech.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Busyhands
Permanent Resident

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  10:12:54 AM  Show Profile Send Busyhands a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like a hat as a second project for girls or boys - it's still small and easy to get finished, you can teach hime knitting in the round and purling, ribbing, and decreases. And there is always some style of hats that 13 year olds are wearing - I think beanies are still popular?

[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/Busyhands/teenyfrank-in-a-nest.jpg[/IMG] Lin
Go to Top of Page

Jusmehere74
New Pal

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  1:16:41 PM  Show Profile Send Jusmehere74 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillstreetmama

If he was a girl, I'd have him try a bag.

Good point but - not all bags are 'girly' - I'm actually working on a really cool grocery bag from "Hemp for Knitting". Pretty easy to do, it's knit in the round and pretty darn practicle.
http://www.lanaknits.com/usa403.html
Btw - I sure wish I knew a guy that knitted - that's awesome!

Deb

"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." ~ Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

aranworld
New Pal

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  11:07:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit aranworld's Homepage Send aranworld a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I was 14, my mom taught me how to knit by having me knit an entire sweater. It was a very simple drop sleeve sweater. My second project was a raglan sweater. For my third project (I was now 17) my mom told me that I pretty much knew everything I needed to know, and I should just dive right into an Aran Island sweater, which resulted in this sweater, which I worked on during the first 2 years of college:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aranandjennie/246150526/in/set-72157594288857684/

In the meantime, I secretly knit her a cardigan sweater for her birthday.

I often see people acting as if knitting a sweater is some sort of super difficult thing that beginners shouldn't tackle. The only thing hard about them, however, is that they take a long time, but it sure doesn't hurt for a teenage boy to learn about patience. At least I wasn't hurt by that kind of lesson.

So, I say give your son a sweater pattern if he is interested. You might be surprised by how well he rises to the challenge.

http://knitting.aranworld.com/
Go to Top of Page

procrastiknitter
Permanent Resident

Canada
1415 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  3:26:14 PM  Show Profile Send procrastiknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm wondering what projects to use for an eight year old girl. For her first lesson she will knit a garter stitch bookmark and a stocking stitch little purse. After that? Maybe a hat, but spring is coming so she cannot wear it. I'm not sure about toys. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Can you imagine a world without rhetorical questions?
Go to Top of Page

Mocha
Permanent Resident

Singapore
2903 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  11:00:43 PM  Show Profile Send Mocha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A hat ? A hat is good and useful. You can knit it flat and sew later or knit in the round. It is not that hard, really.
Go to Top of Page

TeenKnitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
125 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  11:37:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit TeenKnitter's Homepage Send TeenKnitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
procrastiknitter- Nothing too big. Even a scarf might be too big for an eight year old. My little sister is eight, and I tried to get her started on a garter stitch scarf - I eventually reclaimed the needles to make a cushion cover. If she has lots of stuffed animals, maybe something like a scarf, ect, for one of them? That's not so big, and it's easier. Something else that might be good are squares slippers. The pattern isn't a free one that I can find any more, but it's basically seven garter stich squares, that you sew together. http://www.cheapknittingpatterns.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=170 If you look there, you can see the picture. The pattern can be bought, but if you look at the picture you can see it easily enough.

Annie
"If at first you don't suceed, failure may be your style" Quentin Crisp
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.