Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 How to Use the Knitter's Review Forums
 Inserting a picture into your post
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Katinka
New Pal

45 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  12:06:58 AM  Show Profile Send Katinka a Private Message
How can I insert a little picture or a simple drawing into my posting?

greengirl
Seriously Hooked

Taiwan
679 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  04:34:31 AM  Show Profile Send greengirl a Private Message
Katinka--Welcome to the forum! Here's a link to the most recent thread that has answers as well as links to other threads about posting pictures (you will need to have an external site to host the pictures). Be warned, this is a somewhat contraversial subject because pictures can slow down how fast Knitters Review loads for people with slow internet connections. I would suggest that you only post links to pictures or very small thumbnails of your images.

Clara (aka Queen Bee[img]http://www.knittersreview.com/forum/icon_star_red.gif[/img][img]http://www.knittersreview.com/forum/icon_star_red.gif[/img][img]http://www.knittersreview.com/forum/icon_star_red.gif[/img][img]http://www.knittersreview.com/forum/icon_star_red.gif[/img][img]http://www.knittersreview.com/forum/icon_star_red.gif[/img])-- I noticed that the question in the FAQ "How can I use smilies and images?" links only to info about smilies. The information about image tags is hidden at the bottom of the section "Can I change the format of my text?". Is this on purpose?
Go to Top of Page

PurpleFleece
Chatty Knitter

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  04:48:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit PurpleFleece's Homepage Send PurpleFleece a Private Message
Thank you to another member who talked me through the process.--Debbie

Purple Fleece
info@PurpleFleece.com
www.PurpleFleece.com
Go to Top of Page

greengirl
Seriously Hooked

Taiwan
679 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  06:22:16 AM  Show Profile Send greengirl a Private Message
Debbie-- The purple sheep is really cute (and appropriate to your name). I am just a little concerned that it might be a bit large and distracting if you have it in you signature so that it appears on every one of your posts. Is there a way you could shrink it to a smaller version? Maybe a cute little sheep that isn't animated. Just a thought.
Go to Top of Page

PurpleFleece
Chatty Knitter

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  06:53:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit PurpleFleece's Homepage Send PurpleFleece a Private Message
Thanks everyone for the gentle admonitions about my prancing purple sheep. She no longer prances and she should be the size of a q-tip. Hope that's acceptable. [blush] -- Debbie

Purple Fleece
info@PurpleFleece.com
www.PurpleFleece.com
[img]http://www.millcovehouse.com/PurpleFleece.jpg[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Katinka
New Pal

45 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  06:55:11 AM  Show Profile Send Katinka a Private Message
Greengirl, thank you very much for your help. I mean to use some simple drawings for the purposes of explaining my problems. Sometimes one tiny picture saves dozens of words. I hope there won't be any inconveniences for anybody.
Go to Top of Page

janev
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  12:17:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit janev's Homepage Send janev a Private Message
Awww - I liked your dancing purple sheep Debbie!

Jane
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
www.janevdoviak.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

PurpleFleece
Chatty Knitter

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  1:12:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit PurpleFleece's Homepage Send PurpleFleece a Private Message
Shhhh, she's still on my profile page! -- Debbie

Purple Fleece
info@PurpleFleece.com
www.PurpleFleece.com
[img]http://www.millcovehouse.com/PurpleFleece.jpg[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2366 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2006 :  09:16:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
Yep, there are still some ofus that have dial-up, no other option available. We appreciate folks thinking about this when considering posting large or moving images.

(I am waiting for the day that DSL or cable modem is available at the farm - but since the road isn't paved yet, I'm not holding my breath about this happening anytime soon!)

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

janev
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2006 :  2:25:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit janev's Homepage Send janev a Private Message
I can sympathize Shelia. We still have dial-up too, and it's not looking like DSL or cable will be here anytime soon either. There is satellite, but that is still way too expensive. On the plus side, we can always sit here and knit while we are waiting for pages to load!

Jane
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

lford
Chatty Knitter

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2006 :  8:41:49 PM  Show Profile Send lford a Private Message
Glad to hear I am not the only one living in the dark ages with dial-up access. I agree about the expense of satellite access. The cost to install is rediculous when you consider that they will install receivers for tv for almost nothing. In my opinion, this is a small price to pay to have our own little slice of heaven. I do love the farm.

I should know this so it is embarrassing to ask but here goes. What is required in order to be able to post links to pictures? I don't have any knitting friends in my area. Heck, we don't even have a yarn shop within 60 miles (Michaels and A C Moore don't count). It would be a real treat to be able to show off some of my FO and receive constructive criticism. Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2006 :  03:27:19 AM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message
There are lots of free photo hosting services out there, like www.flickr.com which lots of people here use. It's part of Yahoo! and it's easy to use. You can also create a blog on one of the sites like www.blogger.com that allow you to upload your photos for others to see. And www.snapfish.com is another place to put your photos. You can then just include a link to your site to show off your FOs.

In addition to causing GREAT pain to those with dial-up, putting photos in posts on KR takes up LOTS of disk space that Clara has to pay for. It's not nice to dial-up users and it's not nice to Clara either. We are her guests here so we need to be considerate of her storage budget as well.

Mari

2006 shawls/throws completed: 10
2006 socks completed: 4
WIP: Flower Basket Shawl (in Silky Wool)

My blog: http://maribelaprn.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

janev
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2006 :  07:20:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit janev's Homepage Send janev a Private Message
I use blogger.com, Linda. I can't do half of what other 'bloggers' do on it, but I can upload pictures and post comments on them. If you click on my blog at the bottom of my post (or on Mari's blog at the bottom of hers) it will take you to blogspot.com. and if you click on 'post a comment' it will ask you if you want to register for your own blog. It's pretty easy. If I can do it, you can too!
Jane

Jane
Go to Top of Page

greengirl
Seriously Hooked

Taiwan
679 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2006 :  4:37:04 PM  Show Profile Send greengirl a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by maribelaprn

In addition to causing GREAT pain to those with dial-up, putting photos in posts on KR takes up LOTS of disk space that Clara has to pay for. It's not nice to dial-up users and it's not nice to Clara either. We are her guests here so we need to be considerate of her storage budget as well.

Mari-- FYI, the issue is consideration for people with dialup. Photos in posts has nothing to do with Clara's disk space and bandwidth. There is no way to host your photos on KR; they are hosted on an external site and the KR server just gives your browser the address where it looks for the picture. The disk space and bandwidth is all managed by the photohosting site (like www.flikr.com or www.photobucket.com ).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe