Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

 All Forums
 OFF-TOPIC: Enter At Your Own Risk
 Political discussions
 Huckabee and Portman
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2011 :  08:20:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I just HAVE to state the obvious...why is Mike Huckabee criticizing Natalie Portman for having a baby "out of wedlock" but never said boo about Bristol Palin? Natalie Portman is marrying the guy, after all. Bristol never married the father of her baby. I guess it's okay to be the daughter of a Republican Governor with an "out of wedlock" baby...

*************************

PAM

Twitter Name = WildKnitter

Blog: http://wildknitter.blogspot.com

If I could only do this for a living...

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2661 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2011 :  08:25:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This has me fuming as well! "Most single moms are very poor, uneducated, can't get a job, and if it weren't for government assistance, their kids would be starving to death and never have health care," he said. "And that's the story that we're not seeing." AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Luann

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

698 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2011 :  08:44:00 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mike Huckabee is such a joke. He also made some dumb statement about Mr.Obama and believing that he really is not born in America. The usual Republican garbage. They keep repeating this stuff and people just buy it.

Kristina
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5189 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2011 :  12:07:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let me state the obvious: Natalie Portman's child is not going to end up on public assistance, whether or not she marries the child's father. Natalie Portman is a well-employed, wealthy, well-educated woman who has the tools to do just fine parenting her child.

Mind your own business, you so called "conservative."

But to take it further, "most" single Moms are not receiving public assistance. "Most" single moms have jobs. Someone needs to look up what the word "most" means before using it repeatedly, and it's not me.

So says a very successful, employed, well-educated, healthy woman who is happily married to a successful, employed, well-educated healthy man, both of whom were raised by awesome single moms. Huckabee isn't good enough to lick either my Mom's or my Mom-in-Law's boots.

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2011 :  12:54:30 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Huckabee has written a book and is going to run for the Republican nomination so that's why he's suddenly in the news spouting and spewing lies and his "opinion" on everything. Natalie Portman is a grown woman, too, unlike Bristol Palin who was a teenager. And as was pointed out, Natalie will not be on the public dole at any point. He's doing what he can to stir up all the lies and fears, so typical.

Do you all remember when Dan Quayle got his knickers in a twist over that TV show, Murphy Brown starring Candace Bergen? This is such a transparent tactic.

M L
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

698 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2011 :  2:30:21 PM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting woman. Huckabee should do his research before he makes these stupid statements.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/01/science/01angier.html?_r=1&scp=4&sq=natalie%20portman&st=cse

Kristina
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2011 :  3:15:46 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent article, Kristina, thank you for the link. Natalie Portman is a talented, gifted, squared away young woman. She has conducted her life in a way that she hasn't been in the tabloids, never busted for drugs or other unseemly activities. If anything, I'd say she is an excellent role model for young ladies. Huckabee stepped in it again, with this attack.

M L
Go to Top of Page

agnesgooch
Gabber Extraordinaire

573 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2011 :  4:45:37 PM  Show Profile Send agnesgooch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Milinda

Huckabee has written a book and is going to run for the Republican nomination so that's why he's suddenly in the news spouting and spewing lies and his "opinion" on everything. Natalie Portman is a grown woman, too, unlike Bristol Palin who was a teenager. And as was pointed out, Natalie will not be on the public dole at any point. He's doing what he can to stir up all the lies and fears, so typical.

Do you all remember when Dan Quayle got his knickers in a twist over that TV show, Murphy Brown starring Candace Bergen? This is such a transparent tactic.

M L





Yes, Huckabee has a new book out and is planning to run for president. I guess bad publicity is better than no publicity for him.

Milinda, the Dan Quayle foofaraw immediately came to my mind when I first saw this.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24181181@N07/
Go to Top of Page

mouse
Permanent Resident

1442 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2011 :  10:27:39 PM  Show Profile Send mouse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He called her a "starlet." I would say that anyone who has won an Oscar for Best Actress has risen above "starlet" status.

I wonder whether the question of why he has never similarly criticized Bristol Palin will even enter the minds of his followers.

Pathetic.

BTW, my great great grandmother, my grandmother, my mother and my sister were all unwed mothers, and they all supported their children just fine, without public assistance of any kind.

........................................................................................................................
You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. Antoine de Saint Exupery
Go to Top of Page

Punctuatedknitter
Seriously Hooked

819 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  3:08:21 PM  Show Profile Send Punctuatedknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Natalie Portman is also in a career where it is difficult to balance the demands of pregnancy. She couldn't be visibly pregnant during most (any?) of her roles. Unlike male actors, she can't just be having children at any old time. And it can be a real problem if she wants biological children to wait too long (again, unlike male actors). Good for her for making it work. If anything, she's a role model. She's got loads of money, a good career, a college degree too, and has never had a whiff of scandal about her life.

She shows young women that they can have a family life and a career and that they don't need a man's permission to do it.

Rather than focus on real problems that hurt single mothers--pay inequity (still at 80 cents for a man's dollar, even for women without kids) or affordable health care, he's throwing stones at women he perceives as immoral. OMG, those sluts are RUINING EVERYTHING! Haven't we been here before, done that, got the tee shirt?

Shut up, Mike Huckabee.
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  4:56:17 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Note how Mr. Huckabee has nothing to say regarding the Public Melt Down of the Party Machine Charlie Sheen. I suppose his behavior is a different matter since he's a guy and Ms. Portman is well, a starlet and an immoral young starlet at that, bent on tearing down the moral fiber of this country.

This may play with the Birthers and the Fundamentalists but it is laughable to the rest of us.

M L
Go to Top of Page

shaggy
Permanent Resident

USA
4126 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2011 :  05:25:49 AM  Show Profile Send shaggy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Punctuatedknitter

Natalie Portman is also in a career where it is difficult to balance the demands of pregnancy. She couldn't be visibly pregnant during most (any?) of her roles. Unlike male actors, she can't just be having children at any old time. And it can be a real problem if she wants biological children to wait too long (again, unlike male actors). Good for her for making it work. If anything, she's a role model. She's got loads of money, a good career, a college degree too, and has never had a whiff of scandal about her life.

She shows young women that they can have a family life and a career and that they don't need a man's permission to do it.

Rather than focus on real problems that hurt single mothers--pay inequity (still at 80 cents for a man's dollar, even for women without kids) or affordable health care, he's throwing stones at women he perceives as immoral. OMG, those sluts are RUINING EVERYTHING! Haven't we been here before, done that, got the tee shirt?

Shut up, Mike Huckabee.




A+ POST ......Love it!

shaggy

every dollar makes Betty smile





Go to Top of Page

flicka
Seriously Hooked

877 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2011 :  11:08:38 AM  Show Profile Send flicka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess there must be enough people who still care about these things, that Republicans are willing to shoot themselves in the foot to court their votes. But we all have unmarried pregnancies in our own families, and most of us don't get all exercised about it.

I think it is totally an "I'm more moral than you are" contest among Republicans, and they are all losers in the contest if they think America really cares.

Oh yeah, I do care about funding for sex education so that pregnancies can be planned, but I guess that is too radical a thought for a Republican presidential candidate wannabe.

flicka
Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2011 :  08:16:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Milinda

Note how Mr. Huckabee has nothing to say regarding the Public Melt Down of the Party Machine Charlie Sheen. I suppose his behavior is a different matter since he's a guy and Ms. Portman is well, a starlet and an immoral young starlet at that, bent on tearing down the moral fiber of this country.



Oooo...this is SUCH a good point! People are all laughing at Charlie Sheen's "boys will be boys" antics (he's in his 40s, people!), forgetting that he's been in trouble multiple times for violence against women.



*************************

PAM

Twitter Name = WildKnitter

Blog: http://wildknitter.blogspot.com

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by


and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?


line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe