Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 OFF-TOPIC: Enter At Your Own Risk
 Movies / Articles / Celebrities / Books / News
 Dark Shadows
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Greyling
Gabber Extraordinaire

579 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  06:10:22 AM  Show Profile Send Greyling a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't normally care for Johnny Depp films. He's a little too fakey for me, but I remember the Dark Shadows soap opera from waaaay back (I was just a kid, ahem), and the previews look cute. Kinda funny.

I might just be tempted to see this one.

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2378 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  07:00:17 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We saw the previews at the last movie we went to and knew we wanted to see it. I can't recall a Depp movie that I didn't like.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
Go to Top of Page

HRH the Knitting Queen
Chatty Knitter

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2012 :  10:54:55 AM  Show Profile Send HRH the Knitting Queen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to watch Dark Shadows from my crib...

Seriously, I am looking forward to this movie. I am not expecting it to be true to the series...I just want to see the little zingers and inside joke type things that will be tipping the hat to the original show. It looks like it will be entertaining.

www.merrykarma.blogspot.com -~- I'm MerryKarma on Ravelry.
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2594 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2012 :  06:49:45 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It looks nice and campy - I didn't watch Dark Shadows but lots of my friends back then did. And yes, I'm sure it was when we were in cribs... Ahem indeed!

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
185 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2012 :  04:29:20 AM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dark Shadows scared the crap out of me as a kid! But the movie looks hysterical.

emmyc
winchester ma
Go to Top of Page

agnesgooch
Gabber Extraordinaire

573 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2012 :  1:21:33 PM  Show Profile Send agnesgooch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember hurrying home from high school so I could watch Dark Shadows (of course, there were no VCRs way back then). I can't wait to see this, either. I heard several of the actors/actresses from the original series had small parts in the movie, including Jonathan Frid (Barnabas) who passed away recently.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24181181@N07/
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4157 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2012 :  2:08:14 PM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to say, I've laughed out loud at every preview for that movie.

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Greyling
Gabber Extraordinaire

579 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2012 :  11:07:11 PM  Show Profile Send Greyling a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't heard good reviews. Actually, mixed reviews. Might wait for on-demand.

www.imdb.com

Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2012 :  3:46:09 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to hear a review from someone who watched the original series (like I did, starting when I was 11 or 12). To my generation, the idea of vampires and werewolves was really exciting and different. To the age group that grew up with Harry Potter and the Twilight series, it may not be as exciting as it was to us.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2012 :  4:11:18 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a fan of Johnny Depp's acting and the fact he is always willing to take chances. That said, I am not a fan of Tim Burton's style of film and was disappointed to learn he had been at the helm of this production. I think it is now a twisted comedy, which is Burton's style, rather than being more like the original series. I think I'll pass.

M L
Go to Top of Page

LindaRae
Chatty Knitter

132 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2012 :  5:19:46 PM  Show Profile Send LindaRae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Johnny Depp & Tim Burton never disappoint me! I used to run home from school quickly to watch Dark Shadows every day, & also have been watching old episodes on Netflix for quite some time; couldn't wait for this movie! They took some "literary license" I guess you would call it; set it in 1972 instead of the late 60's, combined a couple of characters, & had a convoluted plot, but I loved it! very clever,& great music!
LindaP
Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2012 :  05:29:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We went to see it this weekend and loved it! It is very campy, but we were expecting that. I never saw the original series, but I went with someone who did, and she loved it, too!

PAM

Twitter Name = WildKnitter

Blog: http://wildknitter.blogspot.com

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page

Knitlin
Warming Up

95 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  07:52:45 AM  Show Profile Send Knitlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved the movie. It brings me back to good memories of running home from school on Wednesdays to watch the show.

knitlin
Go to Top of Page

Lynne604
Warming Up

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2013 :  07:15:04 AM  Show Profile Send Lynne604 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too loved the original Dark Shadows. What I wouldn't have given for a VCR as I always missed Tuesday's episode because of my piano lesson. The first thing I did when I got home was to call my best friend for a recap. My parents couldn't understand my obsession with the show; they thought it was silly.

The late Jonathan Frid, our beloved original Barnabas, made a brief appearance in the new Dark Shadows movie, along with a few others from the original cast. He died not long afterward.
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  12:17:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to see the movie. I must admit that I hadn't seen the original series until abut two years ago, on DVD.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.7 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe