Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Punctured finger from a knitting needle
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2014 :  3:20:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am knitting with US6 Addi Lace Clicks. The sharper point is digging into my right index finger tip every time I push down on the left needle to move stitches closer to the left tip so I can knit them. I can see a visible puncture wound!

What can I wear on my right finger to prevent this from happening? Thanks,

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.

NastiJ
Permanent Resident

1288 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2014 :  4:44:33 PM  Show Profile Send NastiJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Office supply stores sell "finger cots" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finger_cot

which are more flexible than an actual thimble.

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page

Vcoerulea
Chatty Knitter

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2014 :  4:52:49 PM  Show Profile Send Vcoerulea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finger cots are thin and would tear too easily with a sharp needle tip. 'Thimble-it' pads are sold for sewing, quilting, cross stitching and such. They are flexible stick on ovals that protect fingers from needle punctures. They come in a package of 64(at least the last time I bought them). You should be able to find them at Joann's or Walmart or any specialty store for the needlework crafts I listed.
HTH
Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1688 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2014 :  02:50:48 AM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have used a band aid for such issues, they are inexpensive and readily available.
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4391 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2014 :  03:27:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This happened to me, too -- so I learned to pinch the end of the right needle between my thumb and forefinger, instead of using my left finger, to hold it still while I adjust the stitches. It took a while to retrain my brain, but now I do it automatically!

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
My Website: Not Plain Jane
My Ravelry Store: Jane Cochran
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2057 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2014 :  03:36:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

Jane, thanks for sharing this excellent technique!

Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2014 :  10:24:04 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yah, I get the sore fingers too, and will try the pinch retraining. Brilliant!

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

crc532
New Pal

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2014 :  04:42:20 AM  Show Profile Send crc532 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This used to happen to me when I used my Knitpicks interchangeables. I also agree that afte actually breaking the skin a few times, I adjusted my knitting and it doesn't happen anymore. I am a tight knitter and oooh, did that hurt. I learned to knit continental which definitely loosened my knitting and for whatever reason, it no longer happens.

crc
Go to Top of Page

Mar Feder
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2014 :  07:24:28 AM  Show Profile Send Mar Feder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ceil

I am knitting with US6 Addi Lace Clicks. The sharper point is digging into my right index finger tip every time I push down on the left needle to move stitches closer to the left tip so I can knit them. I can see a visible puncture wound!

What can I wear on my right finger to prevent this from happening? Thanks,

Ceil

Go to Top of Page

Mar Feder
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2014 :  07:46:00 AM  Show Profile Send Mar Feder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use leather quilter's thimbles. very flexible and durable. you can find them at most fabric stores
Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2014 :  08:54:45 AM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the same problem with pointy dpns that I like using other than the way they puncture fingers over time. I will look into a couple of the suggested remedies posted here so thanks to all!

Regards, Patience

Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2014 :  09:32:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robinstephanie

Yah, I get the sore fingers too, and will try the pinch retraining. Brilliant!

It's funny that you mention sore fingers, because I have taught at the Sore Fingers Summer School in Kingham, England. However, it is a school for bluegrass music, not knitting! (But it should be!)

I am thankful for all the ideas contributed to this thread, and the quilters thimble sounds like a real good option. When I get over this nasty cold, I will go out and buy one and report back. Thanks, everyone,

Ceil
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2014 :  11:35:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just bought the Nimble Thimble at a quilt shop and it's working! I wondered if it might be in the way, but adjusted quickly to wearing it. No more piercing my index finger!

Ceil
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2057 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2014 :  06:35:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

Oh yay for you, Ceil!

Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2014 :  11:49:22 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's great, Ceil!

And man, I WISH I could get sore fingers from being good enough at bluegrass. I bet it would be a lot of hard work, and a lot of FUN, to get the sore fingers that way.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.