Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 The Year in Review
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Clara
queen bee

USA
4398 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2013 :  9:32:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello my friends! I can hardly believe it, but we're nearing the end of yet another amazing year - which means one thing: time for the year in review.

I'd love to know what your high and low points were, and where you'd like to see the knitting world be by this time next year. Also, any New Year's resolutions? Mine is to make more resolutions.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

chobemk
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2013 :  10:26:26 AM  Show Profile Send chobemk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This year, my 73rd, brought the realization that I should have been a shepherd! My growth in knowledge of different wools, sheep, etc. is making me very interested in the knitting world. Your books have been a great help along with blogs I love reading, yours of course and more.
I started knitting as a child but didn't for many years as it became impossible to find great yarn in smalltown Illinois. Now it is my passion. Have a wonderful year Clara. I now live in Utah and am far away from much of the action, but my dream is to go to Rhinebeck.
Go to Top of Page

Beth Brown-Reinsel
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2013 :  10:39:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Beth Brown-Reinsel's Homepage Send Beth Brown-Reinsel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This has sure been a busy year for me and I am glad to wrap it up! Seems like it was the year of Kickstarter, according to your review, and I was certainly a part of that. I raised over $20,000 to complete my second DVD on Color Stranding Techniques, which will be out in January. It was a real learning experience for me being a part of crowd-funding and strengthened my belief in the generosity of fiber people! I think the one resolution I should make is to take more time for myself. Seems as though I am always working…a common problem for those of us who are self-employed, eh?
Happy holidays, Clara. I am enjoying your new book (the advance copy).

Beth Brown-Reinsel
Go to Top of Page

Knits with Cats
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2013 :  04:56:21 AM  Show Profile Send Knits with Cats a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Clara,

Unfortunately this has been one of the most trying years of our lives. In May my husband and I both lost our jobs. As if things couldn't get any worse, two days ago I had to have our oldest cat euthanized (he was very ill). Fortunately things are now on the upswing, and as I look back on this year, the highlights of my year through all of the turmoil and disruption was knitting! In between my job searching, I took advantage of the reprieve to spend special times with knitting friends. The knitchat and sharing helped to heal my soul from the abruptness of the situation. I also was able to knit several Christmas gifts and even a few projects for myself. I would say that knitting kept me sane through all of the madness. I thank God everyday for blessing me with the skills and patience to be a knitter. I believe that 2014 will be a good year, my husband is working and I will soon be employed again!
Thank you for your publication and this forum, it is always a warm welcome during these cold winter days.
Peace Always,
Jamie B.
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2345 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2013 :  08:36:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Beth! Nice to see you here. I'm proud to have supported Beth's Kickstarter campaign, and am looking forward to starting my lovely "thank-you" kit in the new year.

My resolution for the coming year was decided at the Retreat. I'm going to be a better friend, especially to my long distance friends, staying in touch more often. Since so many of my friends are fiber friends, it's kind of a knitting resolution. We've had a good year this one, and I've got my fingers crossed for another in 2014.

Shelia
www.breezyridgestudio.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
Go to Top of Page

Raynetta
New Pal

20 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2013 :  7:06:13 PM  Show Profile Send Raynetta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wishing you and your family the best in 2014, Jamie B.
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
1953 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2014 :  10:21:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

Jamie B, I do hope 2014 turns you all around to ore of the fortunate parts of life.
-
Clara, your end-of-the-year reviews have always helped me to reflect on my own year, the presence of or lack of my own personal creativity, what inspired me & what did I allow to hold me back. This past year & KR brought me reminders of how important local is in our lives - by local for us in the U.S., I refer to fiber & yarns that come from within our own shores. As a part of the terrific Great White Bale, I learned so much about the industry, the sheep farmers, the processing plants & the dyers that bring me the yarns I cherish. The dollars we spend offer us ways to vote on what is worthwhile in our lives.

For my own knitting, i choose to knit cowls, socks, hats & shawls while eagerly awaiting my Amy Herzog class at the KR Retreat which was even better than my expectations set it up to be. If you all have not taken an Amy class, bought her fabulous book or purchased any of her patterns, stop reading & go to her Fit to Flatter website or buy her book & allow her to rock your world w/encouragement for your own body size & shape & her teachings of how to make yourself look marvelous in a new sweater that you will knit for yourself! I am deciding on which yarns to swatch & then submit for my Custom Fit pattern info.

For my own yarn stash & for my possessions in general, I have been spending time to cull all I have. In 2013 I donated a lot of yarn, books, knitting & crochet needles, stitch markers, etc. as I decided what I need & what is meaningful. I also followed the example of my good buds Jen of Spirit Trail Fiberworks & Shelia (I look forward to being in better touch w/you all too!) & asked Purlewe to be my yarn buddy - she could help my sweet partner to figure out what to do w/my yarn, fabric & fiber stashes should that need arise.

Happy year to come to all & may you find yourself blooming in all you do.

Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

pqpatch
Seriously Hooked

USA
617 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  09:30:57 AM  Show Profile Send pqpatch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello! I haven't been on here in forever!! Wishing everyone a happy 2014. This year has had its ups and downs for me. I look forward to 2014. I have knit lots of hats and finished a little bolero type sweater which is one of my new favorites!! I donated quite few things to the local hospitals in the form of knitted and quilted items for babies. I continue to give back in thanks for the talents and blessings the Lord has given me.

God bless all of you and many good things and good health in the new year!!

Patty

http://www.twistedsticks.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

gerstperson
Warming Up

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2014 :  08:39:47 AM  Show Profile Send gerstperson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Happy new year, Clara and all my KR friends.

To answer your question, I have decided that 2014 (until KRR) is the year of the Stash. I have resolved not to buy any new yarn until I make a serious dent in my stash by either knitting it up or giving it away. If my resolution holds, I will be ending this austere yarn diet at KRR, when I bring serious amounts of stash to the stash room.

Despite my prolific knitting output, I do believe that I am approaching the tipping point-- that is, being unable to knit up my entire stash within 10 years. Some doubt I can knit it up in my lifetime. So 2014 will be the year I try to prove them all wrong!!

I'll keep you posted.

Sharon

Chinese Proverb: Man who says it cannot be done, should not interrupt woman who is doing it.
Go to Top of Page

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2014 :  05:33:34 AM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good luck Sharon! Believe it or not, for me this will be the year of building my stash. Historically I 've gone about my knitting life one project at a time but I 'm going to throw caution to the wind and add stash!

If anyone wants to make must have suggestions go right ahead!

emmyc
winchester ma
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2014 :  12:55:26 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clara, what a fabulous Year in Review article this year. Many of the trends you mention are near and dear to my heart, especially Made in America and the bypassing of large institutions that ignore us and taking our pitches straight to the people. I try to vote with my pocketbook whenever possible by buying American.

On a more minor note, thanks for the tip on the Katniss cowl! I've been lusting after it since it's first appearance, and had a feeling the knitters of the world would not let a lot of time go by before they would get in on the action and provide some cool patterns for us. And although I'm not much of a Katniss bada$$, I just might need a Katniss cowl of my own. (Lots of what looked like lust-worthy handknits in that movie. A VERY cool thing to see.)

I'm not sure yet what this knitting year will bring to me. I make plans, and then I get diverted. Last year was "The Year of the Blanket" so this year may see some smaller items coming off the needles. Whatever it is, it's sure to be some Fun Stuff!

Thanks for everything YOU do, Clara, to support and encourage us in our knitting journeys!

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

littlesheep7
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2014 :  1:17:12 PM  Show Profile Send littlesheep7 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello and Happy 2014!

Good wishes to all who have struggled through 2013 and wishes that 2014 will be a much better year. 2013 was a year of change for my family (moving from one state to another and uncertainty about my job status) but knitting and God did keep me sane as another on this topic mentioned. This year I finished a zip up cardigan for my husband, started a number of projects and traveled to a few fiber festivals. Gathering with other knitters and watching their conquering of difficult techniques is always an inspiration to me. My plan for 2014 is to finally finish the TKGA master level 1 (after procrastinating for several years), complete other projects on the needles and maybe make it to Estes Park for the Festival.

Colorado is my adopted home (30 year resident) and the local guild and local shops are tremendous resources I hope to tap over the next few months.

My dream for 2014 would be to go to a major show such as Stitches or Vogue Knitting. This year was one of learning to "TINK" no matter how far along in the project and how to correct some of those design elements I couldn't live with.

Congratulations to everyone for all you have attempted this year. Also, 2014 wishes for growth, learning and progress in knitting. Thanks Clara for your weekly informative reviews.

Melanie Fiore
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?