Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Leftover bits
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  4:22:52 PM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have three 1-gallon zip lock bags full of every little bit I cut at the end of a project. Many are 12" or more, just as many 1" or less.

Has anyone come up with some creative use for these?

A lot of my yarn is Lamb's Pride which is a single ply (worsted) so I have basically untwisted some of these and used it to needle felt but I need more ideas to use them up FASTER!!

Consuelo

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1809 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  8:44:58 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
People put them out in the woods for birds to use in the spring for nesting, I have heard.

Anna

Think globally, act locally
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  11:29:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
do you make toys? use them as stuffing.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass ...
.....it's learning how to dance in the rain!
Come visit me at http://yarnbasket.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  05:59:24 AM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOW! Two great ideas. Thank you.

I have not made toys yet but have plans to knit dolls for each of my two granddaughters' birthdays next year. I'll save a batch or two for that.

As far as the birds... we're in Yuma, AZ, for the winter but will be trekking back to Maine in the spring... I can leave a trail of yarn from here to there! Let's just hope I don't get arrested for littering - that would be too sad.

Thanks again

Consuelo
Go to Top of Page

aprilshowers
Chatty Knitter

295 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  07:18:31 AM  Show Profile Send aprilshowers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How old are your granddaughters? My 3yo loves using yarn scraps like that for glue "projects." I just keep throwing them in a box for her and she uses them to make her masterpieces.

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  08:49:59 AM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooooh, another good idea. The girls are 5 and 7 and love to do "art".

Thanks.

Consuelo
Go to Top of Page

Ratbag
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
318 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  09:30:58 AM  Show Profile Send Ratbag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about getting some hessian and making a rug

Sandra
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it
Go to Top of Page

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  2:46:27 PM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm. I din't know what hessian was. Looked it up in Wikepedia and it referred to some mathematical thing or a German from the province of Hesse.

But then the Urban Dictionary had additional definitions, I bet this is whatyou meant: "Hessian is a loosely weaved, strong fiber material similar to burlap.Used mainly for carpet backing." Their spelling, their grammar.

So a hooked rug of some sort is what you had in mind, eh? (I've been hanging out with many, MANY Canadians.) Sounds like a great idea. I'll have to keep collecting bits to have enough. Thanks!

Consuelo
Go to Top of Page

Ratbag
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
318 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  05:10:25 AM  Show Profile Send Ratbag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I forgot about the 'Hessian's' and the language differences sorry.

Sandra
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it
Go to Top of Page

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  08:03:55 AM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't be sorry, Sandra. You broadened my horizons... it was fun to learn what you meant! Also, I love you caption about insanity.

Hugs,

Consuelo
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.