Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Seeking Advice about Yarns
 yarn for wrist warmers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

babycarolnancy
New Pal

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2009 :  2:23:43 PM  Show Profile Send babycarolnancy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,

I want to make some wrist warmers but don't know what yarn to get. It needs to be worsted weight and very warm. I'd rather it not be ribbon yarn or anything like that. Just simple, easy to knit with (or in this case, crochet with) yarn. What suggestions do you have?

Thanks!

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2009 :  3:36:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've only made two pair but used worsted weight wool on US sz 4 needles. the first pair was several years ago & I don't remember the brand but used Kraemer's Summit Hill which is a superwash for the second pair.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass ...
.....it's learning how to dance in the rain!
Come visit me at http://yarnbasket.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  05:06:50 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you want something warmer than wool, try alpaca. It is extremely warm and soft.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Chayah
Permanent Resident

1927 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  06:33:09 AM  Show Profile Send Chayah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The warmest and most durable wristwarmers I have made have been from Noro Kureyon. They hold up very well and the colors are lovely too. Happy knitting.

"Each breath really is a new beginning of the rest of our lives." Jon Kabat-Zinn
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2604 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  07:34:56 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I second the suggestion of alpaca. It is incredibly soft and warm, and you won't have a problem of stretching as you might in a large garment such like a sweater.

Cashmere is lovely too, of course. :)

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1688 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  2:22:33 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only ones I made were from Plymouth Boku. I like their colorways and it is not quite as expensive as Noro.
judy
Go to Top of Page

babycarolnancy
New Pal

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  3:21:53 PM  Show Profile Send babycarolnancy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm looking into alpaca and I like the option of Kraemer's Summit Hill yarn. I'll let you all know what I choose.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

knits_for_preemies
Permanent Resident

USA
1957 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2009 :  2:17:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit knits_for_preemies's Homepage Send knits_for_preemies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought some Blue Sky Alpaca for mine(haven't knit them up yet, but can't wait to do it.) Link Here

It is a yummy soft blend of 50% alpaca and 50% merino.

Barbara

Ravelry Name: KnitsForPreemies

www.southernfriedknittin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2009 :  10:56:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've made lots of fingerless mitts in a variety of yarns; I usually use US size 6 or 7 needles for worsted weight, depending on the pattern stitch. These are one of my most requested gift items and a great way to try some of the more expensive luxury yarns since not a lot is required (I've used blends with cashmere, alpaca, silk, angora, jadite, etc.). I've made two different pair using a double strand of wear-like-iron sock yarn (both yarns hand-dyed by my daughter) that look really nice, one in plain 2x2 rib and the other in the twin-rib pattern. Since these were multicolored yarns, the final effect was very "tweedy" looking. My husband wears a pair of these on cold mornings to do farm chores, since he complains that he "can't do a thing" with regular gloves, but he loves these.

Donna
Go to Top of Page

jmlammens@gmail.com
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  06:16:32 AM  Show Profile Send jmlammens@gmail.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Debbie Bliss cashmerino aran and karabella aurora 8.
Malabrigo is also a lovely yarn for handwarmers.
Go to Top of Page

ncknitty
New Pal

22 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  06:37:36 AM  Show Profile Send ncknitty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love Debbie Bliss Cashmerino. I knit it up on US5s. At that gauge it's nice and sturdy and feels velvety. It takes a pinch over a skein to make fingerless mitts so you can buy three skeins and make two pair!
Go to Top of Page

hnick
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  06:53:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit hnick's Homepage Send hnick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite yarn right now for fingerless mittens is City Tweed by knitpicks. It's an alpaca/merino blend. It's pretty, soft, so warm, and affordable. It comes in two weights, DK and heavyweight. I think I used a #7 needle. Works up pretty quick.

http://hnick.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kcholm
Chatty Knitter

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  08:28:25 AM  Show Profile Send kcholm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just made a few sets of the Fetching pattern on knitty with Rowan's Cashsoft Aran. I elongated the pattern, adding an extra cable round at both the wrist and the fingers. Very easy, very quick--I made one on the way to Wisconsin for Thanksgiving and finished the second one the first day of our visit.

Last year I made several sets of the Mrs. Beeton from Knitty, again with Cashmerino and a ruffle of Kidsilk Haze. Very pretty, very warm, but perhaps a little frou frou for some. But they were extremely well received by those I gave them to.

I also made a set of the Rani from knitty. Beaded, so it takes longer to make, but very very pretty. I just ordered a few more skeins of Shibui sock and the beads to go with them. Too late for Christmas gifts this year, but if I got started in January ...
Go to Top of Page

singfasola
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  4:07:37 PM  Show Profile Send singfasola a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I've made fingerless mitts with Berocco Peruvia (not P. Quick) on 8s, ribbed all around and a cable up the back of the hand. Quick, stretchy, and by all accounts (last year's Christmas gifts) warm.

I agree with the alpaca users, too.

Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

neraksenrab
Chatty Knitter

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  05:20:51 AM  Show Profile Send neraksenrab a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check out Berroco Jasper -- especially for ribbed ones like Maine Morning mitts -- it is so soft and self-striping, too. Karen
Go to Top of Page

babycarolnancy
New Pal

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  1:07:08 PM  Show Profile Send babycarolnancy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally decided to buy Paton's Angora Bamboo yarn for my wrist warmers. It's very soft and warm and is very easy to work with. Thank you all for your advice and help. I really appreciate it.
Go to Top of Page

Kathleen-NYC
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2009 :  1:16:36 PM  Show Profile Send Kathleen-NYC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by babycarolnancy

Hi everyone,

I want to make some wrist warmers but don't know what yarn to get. It needs to be worsted weight and very warm. I'd rather it not be ribbon yarn or anything like that. Just simple, easy to knit with (or in this case, crochet with) yarn. What suggestions do you have?

Thanks!

I recently made three pairs from leftover yarn. (1) Plymouth Boku, (2) Kureyon and (3) Red Heart Tweed.

I used the same pattern for all three pairs and the difference in the yarn makes them look so completely different. I keep the Boku ones in my office. I work in an old office building and sometimes it gets chilly in the afternoons.
Go to Top of Page

knits_for_preemies
Permanent Resident

USA
1957 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2009 :  04:49:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit knits_for_preemies's Homepage Send knits_for_preemies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm currently using Knit One Crochet Two Soxx Appeal for the Melody Fingerless Mittens pattern (Ravelry link).

The yarn is merino wool with a tiny bit of elastic in it, so it is stretchy. It's working up great with this pattern. Comes in variegated and solid colors.

I love it and will use it again. The solid colors are especially pretty. I have my eye on them next.

Barbara

Ravelry Name: KnitsForPreemies

www.southernfriedknittin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  2:15:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you want the warmest available go for a merino/possum blend. They are made in NZ where the AUS possums (nothing like the US ones) are a pest and a cull is required to protect the native fauna and flora. They will die no matter what so it is better that we use the fibre than waste it.

Wen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wen1965/sets/72157612251840708/show/ FO 2009
http://www.flickr.com/groups/kr_members/
http://wenswoolgathering.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  6:37:02 PM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't resist chiming in with one more suggestion: Berrocco (?) Crystal Palace, if it's still available. A year ago, I made a pair of Fetching in Cashmerino for me, and C.P. for DS. Both sets were black.

Well, they both are very warm and soft but his is wearing better. Mine has pills. So I pass that on, FWIW.

Happy New Year to all!

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

FO 2009: small market/shower bag; gray watch cap; magic square potholder; five dish cloths, including two new patterns; Hedgerow Mitts!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe