Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Travel Projects?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

kidknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2009 :  2:04:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit kidknits's Homepage Send kidknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With the holidays coming up and travel looming for many of us, what are your favorite take-along travel projects?

My go-to travel project is baby socks: they can fit right in my purse and the finished product takes up hardly any room.

http://www.kidknits.biz
http://www.itsabouttheknitting.blogspot.com
http://www.lulu.com/content/2159690

Chayah
Permanent Resident

1927 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2009 :  7:07:20 PM  Show Profile Send Chayah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lately I have been making fingerless gloves and I think they would be ok for traveling if I could keep track of the dpns. Crocheting is sometimes easier with only l thing to hold, or a circular needle which usually means a hat. There was a very nice pattern on line called The Travelling Scarf, which worked well on a car trip. Happy travelling, Chayah

"Each breath really is a new beginning of the rest of our lives." Jon Kabat-Zinn
Go to Top of Page

SpunKnit
New Pal

46 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2009 :  07:01:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit SpunKnit's Homepage Send SpunKnit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The easiest travel knitting for me is a simple hat. But if I'm not into hats at the time, I'll do a Tribble, a dish scrubber made from cotton. I can make one in an hour and a half, it is all garter stitch, plus I can make 3 Tribbles from one ball of Sugar-n-Cream. I keep a few balls of it in my car emergency knitting kit, in case I'm ever caught without my knitting!

My Ravelry
Inane Knitting Babble
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2367 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2009 :  09:24:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lace projects and socks are my standard travel projects. Neither take up much room in a bag or suitcase, and both keep me interested.

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
Go to Top of Page

PCam
New Pal

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2009 :  11:21:50 AM  Show Profile Send PCam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Socks on 2 circs! Easy to keep up with and the whole thing will fit in my purse or my laptop bag. Second in line (and sometimes first), granny squares. Love them. Small, easy and quick. I can stuff a skein of yarn and a crochet hook in my purse along with my little Clover Yarn Cutter and have six squares done in two or three hours. Great plane project.

Yarn happens. What's a fiberholic to do?

PCam
Go to Top of Page

cmwagner@centurytel.net
New Pal

38 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2009 :  11:49:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit cmwagner@centurytel.net's Homepage Send cmwagner@centurytel.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there a pattern or pix of a Tribble ?
Thanks

www.mayormarv.com click on knitting needles
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2009 :  12:20:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Is there a pattern or pix of a Tribble ?

Tribble pattern

Tribble Tutorial

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2009 :  1:50:56 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I carry socks or sf gloves to knit at stops. I don't knit in moving cars. :o)

My Blog @ Zippiknits
Knitting@ Flicker
Go to Top of Page

jch22991@cox.net
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  04:37:09 AM  Show Profile Send jch22991@cox.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the easiest travel projects is helmet liners knitted for our armed forces serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. Circular needle, one skein of yarn, easy to pack, and always a conversation starter when fellow travelers ask what you are work on. Other projects which are easy to travel with include sleeves to sweaters, knitted beaded covers for glass Christmas ornaments, mittens, and knitted stuffed animals (circular and dps). Just reading these posts makes me want to pack some projects to go!
Go to Top of Page

fiddleknit
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  05:47:24 AM  Show Profile Send fiddleknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dishcloths are my project of choice. I always keep a bag of cotton yarn and some patterns in the car. Usually, I choose the easier patterns but also like to have complicated ones for when I have a lot of spare time. I always use circular needles for this as they do seem less dangerous than having sharp sticks in the car. I used to keep a sock project in the car but one day I discovered the first sock was missing. I looked everywhere and concluded it must have fallen out of the bag and out of the car. I may have to find something other than dishcloths, though, because my daughter just complained, Mom, how many dishcloths do we need??
Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  06:11:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I am concerned about weight (I have to walk somewhere) I choose socks or a simple hat. If I am doing car traveling,I bring whatever is on my needles that does not require much attention, that I can knit witout looking. I usually have some ribbing to do or stockinette or garter stitch portion of a project that I have to work on. That's a good way for me to do the more boring parts of my projects and have other distractions so that I mind it less. A simple cable in yarn heavier than sock weight will work, too.

Linda, knitting and now spinning away in MD
Go to Top of Page

tolpeople
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  06:40:07 AM  Show Profile Send tolpeople a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I might just curl up and die if I didn't have my knitting with me all the time, so a portion of my suitcase is devoted to projects -- unless, of course, I'm highly anticipating some great LYS where I'm going to be visiting. I like socks for travel because I have the pattern well-memorized, I use the magic loop method (with Knit-Picks needles), and I can knit while walking with something this small. But I've taken more complicated projects on very long driving gigs. I made a really cute sweater for my grandson when we traveled from Denver to Seattle by car. It had a very complex intarsia pattern of a full train that wrapped around the body, birds, clouds and sun in the sky, and a hat with train signals. The long drive gave me the time to really concentrate on the pattern. :)

Deanna
Go to Top of Page

fwshorty
Chatty Knitter

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  07:31:54 AM  Show Profile Send fwshorty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually take an infant hat. For riding in a car, I'll just do a simple k2p2 rib; sometimes I do something fancier if I'm flying. Although I prefer dpn's for these, I do magic loop for travel so I don't lose a needle.
Small, light, doesn't take much concentration. The local hospital nurseries love them!

Eileen
Go to Top of Page

socks4all
Permanent Resident

USA
1464 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  09:07:14 AM  Show Profile Send socks4all a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I travel by car, I'm driving. But then as others have mentioned I don't worry about heavy luggage as much. So, I take a pair of socks for when I don't have time to concentrate and also whatever pattern I'm working on at the time.

My other travels have been by plane, at least 8 hrs each way. On planes I pack one carryone suitcase only (even for a month long trip). So, then I worry about weight and space. I bring enough yarn for 2 pair of socks. It takes me about 10 hours for one sock. One pair will be good to the flight out and back if there are no long layovers. The other pair is for downtime on the trip. I make the first pair about a women's size 7 and give it to someone I find interesting on the trip. Some of my socks now live in Enland, Scotland, and Greece.
Go to Top of Page

clynewarnr@earthlink.net
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  10:37:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit clynewarnr@earthlink.net's Homepage Send clynewarnr@earthlink.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always have a pair of socks on magic loop needles in my purse. In fact I almost always use magic loop now for all my hats, socks, mittens and stethascope covers. If someone else is driving I may work on a larger project in the car but it has to be something I don't have to focus on or I get carsick.

Jennie
http://knitwitmama.blogspot.com
knitwitmama on Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

Whoopdedo
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  10:52:32 AM  Show Profile Send Whoopdedo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Usually a simple scarf pattern,or wash cloths,I don't want to miss any of the sights,so I can look up and gaze w/o messing up. Also Clara, loved your new book! I never new there were so many types of sheep.
Go to Top of Page

churchlady
Warming Up

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  12:22:15 PM  Show Profile Send churchlady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually have a dishcloth in the pocket of my winter coat, and some kind of project living in the car in case of unplanned knitting time, but if I'm actually going to be away from home for awhile, I have to take along many projects, because so many things might stop a project in its tracks: I might finish the knitting, and not want to block the pieces on the motel carpet; I might lose a needle, or other vital notion, and the project would be stalled, and so forth. But it sure is nice to knit in all those new places.
Go to Top of Page

j1r2rtak@snip.net
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  1:26:10 PM  Show Profile Send j1r2rtak@snip.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite travel items or KIP's are easily maneuverable or small ones that don't have complicated stitches,i.e. not cables. I've made dishcloths, scarves, booties and Clara's mistaken rib hat on several occasions

Jane
Go to Top of Page

galoitedp@verizon.net
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  6:11:48 PM  Show Profile Send galoitedp@verizon.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reading through all the messages I saw not my favorite: mitered garter squares (the easiest!) or some other mitered bit. I make many modular garments and although I tend to add pieces as they are completed I can also knit bits together once several are finished. Simple pattern, few stitches,and the garments make quite an impressive statement when finished!
Go to Top of Page

KrazyKim
Chatty Knitter

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  11:18:52 PM  Show Profile Send KrazyKim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also like to take a few projects in case I run into a problem finishing one of them.

But my favorite for traveling light or on a plane, is a pair of socks knit on my 9" circular HiyaHiya needles. I had a moment of panic once when I dropped a wooden Harmony DPN at Disney's California Adventure. I eventually found it very near a drain(!) and no one had stepped on it(!). I'd hate to have to replay that scenario, so it's 9" circulars for me from now on.

I like to have the toe started before I travel and I might have to stop for the heel (I switch to a couple of DPNs for the heels), and if I really plan ahead, I make the socks from Flat Feet so I don't have to worry about tangling the yarn. The project can take a lot of manhandling if I'm on the go.

I love sock4all's gifting of socks on her travels! What a wonderful idea!

Kim, Playa del Rey, CA
Go to Top of Page

mertle
Permanent Resident

USA
1736 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  03:13:39 AM  Show Profile Send mertle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those Tribbles are fun! So cute & easy. Thanks for the link. I'll start my 3rd one this morning. My dish cloth lovers in the family will adore them.

Dish cloths (& now Tribbles) are my favorite short trip around town projects - waiting rooms, parent visits, etc. On car trips, anything goes. Last long trip last spring, I learned several new stitch patterns. Taped instructions to dash and worked happily for miles and miles.

If we're going to see DSIL 3 hours away, I take waaaay more than I'll ever do, because I usually have projects, ideas, or techniques I want to show her. She's my only family who knits, is a fairly new knitter, and we talk lots of knitting when we're together (as our DHs' eyes glaze over!).

Marilyn
My Bags
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by