Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 When knitting starts affecting people around you..
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3458 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2009 :  2:13:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought it would be fun to share stories of what people around us (significant other, family, friends, coworkers) do or say because they know we are knitters.

They all know that they have to wait til we finish that row but what else do they know?

Off the top of my head:
- DH can tell you what the magic loop technique is and how to use it
- DH can recognize Sundara yarn without its tags, just from the dyeing job.
- Coworkers tell me about yarn stores they've passed while running errands (in case I didn't know about them) or movies that have knitting in them

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4379 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2009 :  2:40:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At work, the mailman always hands the lightweight boxes right to me and says "Yarn!"

Jane

Betty needs a warm hat: Support KR
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

pyewackett
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2009 :  6:15:47 PM  Show Profile Send pyewackett a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whenever I do a lot of frogging, DH asks, "What's the matter? Didn't get gauge?"

- pye
Go to Top of Page

GeishaGirl
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2009 :  6:36:56 PM  Show Profile Send GeishaGirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everyone at my LYS knows my husband because he comes in with me to help me choose colors :) I must have married the only straight guy on the planet with color sense!

I showed up at my parents house for family dinner last night and heard "Where's your knitting?" (Of course, the answer was "I left it at home, but my husband wouldn't let me go back for it!"
Go to Top of Page

Sara Sue
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2009 :  6:50:04 PM  Show Profile Send Sara Sue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My son nearly always manages to find a birthday card for me that combines cats and knitting.
Go to Top of Page

miele
Chatty Knitter

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  04:20:25 AM  Show Profile Send miele a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DD & DH know it all, brands, gauge issues, etc....the best are the reports I get from DH as he commutes to the city on the train: I'll get phone calls or emails saying stuff like "the woman across from me is knitting a sock, size 1 needles, I think...."
Ellen
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5189 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  05:00:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I often keep my travel knitting project on my desk at work. Many, many of my coworkers will ask what I'm making, how the shaping works, how I figure out fit. I keep explaining to these folks, most of whom are education statisticians with PhDs, that math for knitting is easier than the math they do for work, and they're finally starting to believe me. I think the other knitter in the office and I are going to have to start teaching lunchtime classes soon.

My husband knows a lot about knitting techniques at this point, and is learning more about pattern design. I used him as a guinea pig while working on the men's hedgerow mitts, and he's increasingly interested in sock options for his feet. My Mom often buys me gift certificates to yarn shops and offers to go yarn shopping with me, and is very enthusiastic about anything I make her. My Pop wears a hat I made him constantly and ferries questions and comments back to me from his coworkers and friends. He apparently brags about this simple little ribbed hat as if it were the Sistine Chapel. Many of my non-knitting friends will bring me yarn from their travels, which is wonderful, and are happy to receive and wear anything I make them.

In short, my family and friends are very very supportive and appreciative of hand-knitting, which makes it all the more fun for me. A few people will get pushy and try to demand I knit for them, but it never works.

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  06:09:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
no s.o. at this time; however if I'm not knitting when a certain male friend visits he will ask "why aren't you knitting, it's very relaxing to watch you." sweet, huh?

my entire family knows: don't talk to me when I have yarn in my hand and appear to be counting. doesn't matter if its knitting or crochet.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass ...
.....it's learning how to dance in the rain!
Come visit me at http://yarnbasket.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Catlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

393 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  10:10:59 AM  Show Profile Send Catlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My friend has brought me yarn from her overseas travels and I have some very special projects as a result.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  11:03:50 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My DH sees me knitting and waits, now, to ask me anything. Then I look up and he says, " I didn't want to disturb the counting". He also know exactly what yarn feels like in a puff package. Boxes are a little tougher, so he hefts them.

My SIL who is very competitive, knits anything new that I knit, like socks, for instance. I am thinking of knitting a parachute.

My Blog @ Zippiknits
Knitting@ Flicker
Go to Top of Page

pjkite
Permanent Resident

1198 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  06:51:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit pjkite's Homepage  Send pjkite a Yahoo! Message Send pjkite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My DH is a total enabler. If we're out, he'll look for the yarn shops and insist that we stop. Inside, if I pick up a skein and comment that it's pretty, he insists I buy it. Doesn't matter if the projected project is for him, myself or someone else - if I like it, I must add it to the stash. He's the same way with fiber.

No, his only brother is not only already married, he's not even appreciative of knitting. And you can't have my DH - he isn't for trade, sale or borrow! (grin)

Pamela Kite
East Tennessee
http://fiberlife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1135 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  10:13:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The funniest was a friend of mine...she went from dismissing my love of knitting as "a waste of time" to now recommending it to people as a way to relax and be calm "like Pam!"

PAM

WIP = Hourglass Sweater (knit), Socks (knit), Victorian Christmas Rug (crochet), Knit Your Bit WWII Museum Scarf (crochet).
YTD: Shadow Jacket (crochet), Snowflake Sweater (knit), Round Ripple (crochet), Socks (knit - 3 pairs), Cot'n Corn Eyelet Rib Top (knit), Crochet Hook Bag (Double Crochet), Charity Squares (knit), Armenius Sweater (knit), Brown Sweater (knit), Entrelac Scarf (tunisian crochet), DROPS Crochet Cardigan (crochet)

Twitter Name = WildKnitter

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page

knits_for_preemies
Permanent Resident

USA
1957 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  2:51:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit knits_for_preemies's Homepage Send knits_for_preemies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pam, you are so lucky.

However, my DH has finally managed to go from thinking I'm spending too much time on knitting, to being truly complimentary of the charity knitting I do. He also has asked for a hat for himself--maybe now he'll get one! lol

Barbara

Ravelry Name: KnitsForPreemies

www.southernfriedknittin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  8:00:43 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's from someone whose close family is unconscious, nay ignorant of my knitting.

It got heated up a bit last spring when one of my grandchildren was visiting from France, and asked to learn to knit. He did amazingly well! I posted all over the place on KR.

I knitted socks for him and his little brother, and after that the excitement and the interest died down to its usual occasional flicker.

I lived in a house of males, you see, and my husband is a Scot of the old school, and is so without interest in doing stuff with your hands, that it is worthy of remark!

And I love him, and get my encouragement to knit from KR and knitting shops and groups.

Anna
Go to Top of Page

RonMidwife
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  03:00:08 AM  Show Profile Send RonMidwife a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We often travel by car, as our son lives 3 hours from us, and our daughter 10 hours away. My husband knows I shall only share the driving at night, as I shall be knitting during the day as we travel. My colleagues at work are so accostomed to my knitting at a meeting that on the rare day when I am not knitting, people always ask if everything is okay, or if I have hurt my hands.
Go to Top of Page

mlj1954
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  03:40:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit mlj1954's Homepage Send mlj1954 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't realize that my husband/kids knew my knitting habits so well until the time my 15 year old came home with some friends and when she saw me knitting at the dining room table, she said to her friends "we have to be quiet for a minute or two . . . she is in the middle of doing something with a chart." HUH? When I looked up, she told me that the only time I sit at the dining room table and knit is when I am having issues with a charted pattern.

Mary Lynn
Visit me on my blog at http://isnoacompletesentence.blogspot.com
Ravelry: mlj1954
Go to Top of Page

scarfitup
Chatty Knitter

191 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  04:39:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit scarfitup's Homepage Send scarfitup a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a great topic and cute stories! My friends DO bring me yarn! One just returned from France with some interesting squiggly stuff in "boring" taupe, she said. I LOVE taupe, have already made her a "Loopy", and am incorporating some of it into other projects. Yarn never goes to waste with me, even little bits of it, so my Stitch Group friends always give me their leftovers. I admittedly am a yarn snob, preferring expensive yarn, but I graciously accept anything and donate what I won't use.

One vacation to New England, my DH (who originally called my work "roadkill!") took me to just about every yarn shop on Cape Cod to look for goodies! Now he's happy when he sees how well my work is selling! Me too! Just last night, after having made two cachecols and completing a collar yesterday, I was sitting on the couch doing NOTHING, and he commented, "How come you're not knitting?" GIVE IT A REST!!!! LOL!

Scarf It Up!
http://scarf-it-up.blogspot.com
http://flickr.com/photos/scarfitup
http://scarfitup.etsy.com
Become a fan of Scarf It Up! on FB: http://tinyurl.com/mrsrad
Go to Top of Page

bdiane
New Pal

26 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  05:16:08 AM  Show Profile Send bdiane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it is just wonderful you all are supported in your craft. I do not have such luck in my family. I am finished , without discussion or fighting making items for them. They were okay lukewarm the first time I tried to make things for them years ago but seemed to think it should have been a phase and I should be over it by now ! The grandkids wear HIGH $ items and perhaps will want something when in high school or college later and will rush to knit them things when they ask for it if that happens. I spent a dedicated 2 months making a cable sweater for one of the children that was requested last year and they very much acted like they did me a favor to "give me something to do". I made a silk top for the mommmy for her birthday after that and she said "you are very talented" in a very condescending way and never wore it. I feel that knitting is VERY IN right now and definitely not an old lady thing or I should be an embarassment because I knit ! I feel the family would definitely see it differently if I should bring in big money because of it but as it is no respect. I believe it is an art but yet feel it is not given it's just due..........
Go to Top of Page

nrgdoc@gmail.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  05:51:57 AM  Show Profile Send nrgdoc@gmail.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For years my husband asked me to knit him a hacky sack. I knit him socks and clogs and of course scarves, but he wanted this little ball. I encouraged him to learn how to make one for himself instead, all the while never dreaming that he actually might do it. This fall he decided it was time and asked enough of my friends that he figured it out. Now he is working on ornament jackets for Christmas presents. He is proud of himself and not at all threatened with his new skills. He says he is exercising his brain.
Go to Top of Page

scarfitup
Chatty Knitter

191 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  06:16:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit scarfitup's Homepage Send scarfitup a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hooray for your DH, nrgdoc! I think that's awesome! Can he teach mine? LOL! And bdiane, I've stopped making things for my family too now. They appreciate my work but don't want to wear any themselves. That's OK with me, because I am much funkier than my daughters and grandchildren! Knitting is definitely NOT an old lady thing. One of my marketing phrases is that mine is "definitely NOT your grandmother's knitting!" And I AM one and have been for more than 15 years!

Scarf It Up!
http://scarf-it-up.blogspot.com
http://flickr.com/photos/scarfitup
http://scarfitup.etsy.com
Become a fan of Scarf It Up! on FB: http://tinyurl.com/mrsrad
Go to Top of Page

Lynne_L
Warming Up

82 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  07:53:44 AM  Show Profile Send Lynne_L a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great thread! Bdiane, sorry to hear about the negativity. When I get that, I cross those people off my knit list (the opposite of a s#$% list) and make more stuff for myself! My DH used to think knitting was easy and quick - I think many people do - but since he's seen how long projects take and how often the get frogged, he's come to a new appreciation.

Lynne
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.