Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Spiral binding on knitting books
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2009 :  8:26:44 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a paperback copy of Barbara Walker's Learn to Knit Afghan book that is driving me bonkers. I'm doing a knit along with two of my daughters, and I don't want to photo copy every page as I work through the book, but it will not stay open while I work. Their copies are old hardcover copies that I picked up cheap (one was $1) and they have no problems. It's just this @#&*$% paperback copy! I'd like to have someone cut off the edge and spiral bind it for me. Problem is, I haven't found anyone to do it. There are office supply stores that can do the plastic binding thingies, but my cookbooks that have those always end up breaking. No, I want spiral. Have any of you done this, and where did you go? I don't live in a big city, and if the price is going to be too much, I'll just buy another old hardcover copy for $9 and call it good.

Suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Jan

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3458 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2009 :  8:51:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kinko's can spiral-bind a book for you. I remember a thread where several knitters did that for Charlene Schurch's "Sensational knitted socks".
Go to Top of Page

noallatin
Chatty Knitter

280 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2009 :  03:46:01 AM  Show Profile Send noallatin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Staples will also spiral bind books. I've had several done there--knitting books and books I use in the classroom.

FYI-Books with narrow margins between the spine and the text usually can't be spiral bound since the process involves cutting away the spine and may not leave enough white space to prevent the binding from interfering with the text.
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2599 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2009 :  06:11:24 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't know that Kinko's and Staples did true spiral binding - I've had both do those plastic spines, but not spiral. I'll have to check it out.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

SeeJaneKnit
Warming Up

99 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2009 :  07:06:05 AM  Show Profile Send SeeJaneKnit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, I always have mine done at Staples. The last time I took one in the guy remarked on how surprised he was at how many people bring in books to have them spiral bound.
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2009 :  07:41:10 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup I also take mine to Kinkos for spiral binding. It just makes it so much easier and it was through this site that I learned it could be done. I love KR.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

KS
Seriously Hooked

862 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2009 :  09:01:17 AM  Show Profile Send KS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can buy the machine to do comb binding at places like Office Depot for about $75. I've got a heavier one than that one. They used to be cheaper. You don't same money by doing it yourself, but you gain convenience. You'd be surprised at how often you find something that's good comb bound.

With books though, you'd still have to have them cut the binding off.

If I'm working on something that has info from several sources I want to carry with me I copy the pages & bind them together. You can open them & add pages if you want.

I'm surprised you guys have had comb bound things break. I've got a lot of comb bound stuff & never had a break.
Go to Top of Page

socker
Chatty Knitter

258 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2009 :  09:13:07 AM  Show Profile Send socker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In desperation, I've also gently pulled the pages apart and slipped each page into a plastic sleeve and placed them in a notebook. For those times when there isn't enough edge for the spiral binding.
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2009 :  11:38:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the new books that have the hidden spiral under the binding. When you spiral bind the book yourself is there a way that you use to identify it on your bookshelf once the title edge is gone?

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3952 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2009 :  4:32:03 PM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You put your books back on the shelf? I like the scattered-around-the-house method which always adds to the fun of finding a pattern that I know I have. But the covers are always face up.

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2009 :  8:02:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dschmidt
I like the scattered-around-the-house method

I don't think I buy that. I always look at the background of people's knitting pix. I even spotted your fresh paint job if you remember.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

sparkleplenty
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
484 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2009 :  05:30:39 AM  Show Profile Send sparkleplenty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GFTC

I like the new books that have the hidden spiral under the binding. When you spiral bind the book yourself is there a way that you use to identify it on your bookshelf once the title edge is gone?

I can tell which book it is by the thickness. I've only spiral bound 2-3 of my knitting books though. I think with nice heavy paper and either book tape or carpet tape, you could create your own hidden spiral.

sparkleplenty
Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/people/sparkleplenty
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sparkle-plenty/

-------------------
If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.
~Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

littleturtlemama
Chatty Knitter

100 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2009 :  05:43:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit littleturtlemama's Homepage Send littleturtlemama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've done DIY spiral covers for those, and they work pretty well. I print the name of the book and author on cardstock (not the flimsy kind, but usually scrapbooking quality)and cut it so that the height is the same as the book, and the width allows for a 1" overlap on the frotn and back covers, and enough room for it to cover the binding plus a bit of give.
So, say that I've got a book where the binding measures 4" from cover to cover, while closed. My piece will measure 10" long (that's how tall the book is) by 6.5" (1" for each cover, to attach it, and then 4.5" to cover the spine with wiggle room)

Fold and score the piece 1" in on either side, and using adhesive runner (another scrapbooking tool, easily found in any big box craft store) or, if you don't want to buy that (ti's $$) you can do it with heavy duty packing tape or strong glue) I adhere the 1" sections to the covers, getting as close to the spiral as I can without actual touching it. Voila! Covered spine you can read on the bookshelf :)

Theresa, knit-at-home mama to AJ, Ethan, MacGregor & my biggest baby:
http://www.littleturtleknits.com
Random Musings from a Knitterly Mind: http://www.littleturtleknits.com/blog/
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3952 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2009 :  4:42:15 PM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
I like the scattered-around-the-house method

I don't think I buy that. I always look at the background of people's knitting pix. I even spotted your fresh paint job if you remember.

GFTC of NYC

Ah, but that picture was taken right after the big pre-wedding cleaning. I'd never take a picture in my bedroom or office. God invented upstairs and downstairs for a reason, just like She invented closet doors for the same reason IMHO

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2009 :  2:05:08 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Ah, but that picture was taken right after the big pre-wedding cleaning. I'd never take a picture in my bedroom or office. God invented upstairs and downstairs for a reason, just like She invented closet doors for the same reason IMHO

And doors in general, to shut out the world or just it's greedy eyeballs, eh?

My Blog @ Zippiknits
Knitting@ Flicker
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1682 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2009 :  06:07:16 AM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Frankly, I never would have thought to spiral-bind books, great idea!I have photo-copied and then used the pattern in that manner, usually ends up with multiple pencil markings too.
judy
Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1559 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2009 :  10:22:18 AM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use Kinko's to have my books spiral bound. The usually do it on the spot. I like immediate gratification! If I could afford it, I would have all my books bound!

Shirley, Dana Point, CA

...To much is not enough!
Go to Top of Page

SpunKnit
New Pal

46 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2009 :  06:22:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit SpunKnit's Homepage Send SpunKnit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You put your books back on the shelf? I like the scattered-around-the-house method which always adds to the fun of finding a pattern that I know I have. But the covers are always face up.

That's hilarious! My favorite method so far!

I've thought about doing this for my stitch treasuries. I have the older softcover Schoolhouse Press versions, but the pages are breaking loose from the bindings. I want to so something before the pages fall out and get scattered or lost.

My Ravelry
Inane Knitting Babble
Go to Top of Page

rather be knitting
Seriously Hooked

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2009 :  12:07:28 PM  Show Profile Send rather be knitting a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you don't have a Kinko's or Staples in your town check to see if you have a print shop that might be able to spiral bind. I live in a small town, in a rural area — closest Kinko's/Staples would be 2 hours away, but we do have a printer who offers a lot of nifty services.
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3458 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2009 :  07:11:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the KR group on Ravelry, there was talk of binding magazines as well. I wasn't sure that everyone knew about these nifty magazine binder holders.

You can get a dozen for 3 or 4 dollars, have all the IK in one binder and all the VK in another, etc… Much cheaper than binding them and you can take an issue out for browsing if necessary.
Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1559 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2009 :  09:33:56 AM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The magazine holders are fantastic. I have been using them for a long time and have all my magazines...well, most of them.. in binders.

Shirley, Dana Point, CA

...To much is not enough!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by