Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Stash management
 using vacuum sealer to store yarn
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pkellycmc
New Pal

13 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  10:32:04 AM  Show Profile Send pkellycmc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
would using a food vacuum sealer hurt yarn. We have moved into a small house and now i do not have my room that was dedicated to all my yarn. I was thinking of vacuum sealing it with one of those food vacuum savers to save on space and to protect against moths.

pamulla@earthlink.net
Chatty Knitter

100 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  03:05:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit pamulla@earthlink.net's Homepage Send pamulla@earthlink.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The space saver bags work on the same principal and are used for storing wool blankets and sweaters without any harm. I have used the space saver bags when traveling to pack more vacation yarn in my bag without any problem. I don't see any problem although I think the bags that use the vacuum cleaner would allow you to get more bang for your buck. YOu can buy the bags at Bed Bath and Beyond and use a 20% off coupon.

Shape the world, one stitch at a time
Pam in CT www.roddyknit.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mertle
Permanent Resident

USA
1734 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  03:24:10 AM  Show Profile Send mertle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The food storage bags are so expensive IMO, and not as reusable as the space savers. I'm with Pam on this. I would invest in the space savers IF you decide to go the vacuum route.

Also check out space over doors. A couple of brackets & a piece of shelving, and you've created storage from dead space. You could even run the shelf around the room in some rooms.

Another thought: magazines aimed at apartment dwellers often have great storage ideas (provided there are some still out there; has been a while since I checked.)

Marilyn
My Bags
Go to Top of Page

scarfitup
Chatty Knitter

192 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  03:57:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit scarfitup's Homepage Send scarfitup a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Under-bed storage can hold a lot - and every bed in the house can manage some! If you have suitcases stored in closets (as I do), use some of the less-used ones for yarn storage. If you can eke out a little closet space, add one of those hanging sweater or shirt bags with the cubicles/shelves. I haven't looked lately, but some may even be zippered.

Good luck! Storage of all kinds is a challenge for me! Visit or get a catalog from a storage store - like this one perhaps: http://www.containerstore.com/welcome.htm or do a search for storage ideas. Marilyn's magazine suggestion for apartment dwellers is excellent!

Scarf It Up!
http://scarf-it-up.blogspot.com
http://flickr.com/photos/scarfitup
http://scarfitup.etsy.com
Become a fan of Scarf It Up! on FB: http://tinyurl.com/mrsrad
Go to Top of Page

Jana M
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  04:49:04 AM  Show Profile Send Jana M a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use the space bags to store some of my stash & they are perfect for this purpose! There are newer space bags with square bottoms & they hold even more. Don't worry about the yarn - it comes out just like it went in.

Putting shelving over the doors is also a great idea - I did that on my porch all around the perimeter to store & display my collection of pots - you'll be amazed at how much fits in such a small space. Use standards & brackets - very easy.
Go to Top of Page

jdquilt@aol.com
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  05:47:09 AM  Show Profile Send jdquilt@aol.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have used this method in the past because my large plastic totes were not seen through (although now they sell clear ones). The bags are expensive. $19.99 for four or six. They are large but when you stuff them (maybe too much) with yarn they do not compress like clothing or blankets. Most of the yarn I have is pretty tightly wound so there is not a lot of decompressing when you suck out the air. You wind up getting a bag that looks dimply. If they are in your price range, you want easy access, and to be able to see what you have in what bag I would go for it. They don't stack as well as plastic totes but my yarn filled vacuum bags definitely do not fit under the bed or any small space. The yarn is not affected at all.
Go to Top of Page

artsyfish

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  08:33:31 AM  Show Profile Send artsyfish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've used both space saver bags and the food saver bags. The food saver bags work far better. If you buy the bags they are expensive, but you can buy rolls of the material and make up your own custom bags. Use the tool you have!

As far as space saver bags go, I have not found they hold the seal over the long term. Every time I've gone to get something out, the bag has expanded. This goes for both travel and under bed bags.
Go to Top of Page

exoticsophia
New Pal

37 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  09:11:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit exoticsophia's Homepage  Send exoticsophia a Yahoo! Message Send exoticsophia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes it hurt the yarn carpets. because it have a machine which stimulate the yarn contents.. and its heat producer also,

do good have good, do bad have bad.
Go to Top of Page

elspethm
Chatty Knitter

USA
323 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  09:18:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit elspethm's Homepage Send elspethm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was some celebrity I was listening to recently and he suggested (for all kinds of storage) those on the door shoe racks. He says he puts one on every door and can fit anything (small) in them. You could put notions, yarn, etc. in each section. Currently I have them on the inside of my closet doors. Good luck!

Elspeth
Silicon Valley, CA
http://knitv.com
My etsy shop:
http://oakmot.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CraftyGal
New Pal

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  09:28:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit CraftyGal's Homepage Send CraftyGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have used the vacuum bags, they work great for they yarn that is in a skein or would using I yarn winder, for the center pull skeins. I am trying to figure a better use for storage as we have a small house (950 square feet). I hadn't thought of the shelves around the room for wool, although I had been thinking of that for books and DVD's. We collect way to much stuff.

Cora
Go to Top of Page

sewfun56
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  10:01:19 AM  Show Profile Send sewfun56 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder how those "shoes under the bed" storage systems would work? I am sure they would hold lots of yarn...and there is a clear plastic zip around cover to keep out the dust and makes the contents so visible.
Go to Top of Page

notmuch2say
Chatty Knitter

147 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  12:38:16 PM  Show Profile Send notmuch2say a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had a food sealer since they first came out. Back then the DH and I sealed some yarns to see if that would help out our yarn storage issues...for us it wasn't going to work too well. It did compress the balls of yarn but then they were like immobile bricks. Sometime about 5 yrs. later we uzipped ( as we call it ) some of the yarn and it was fine as thought it would be.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Carrot
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  2:38:02 PM  Show Profile Send Auntie Carrot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a great topic! I too have used the space bags and was very disappointed to find they did not hold their seal over time. I will buy a vacuum sealer; sounds like a good way to go even if the bags are a little pricey--so is the yarn and it deserves decent storage!!
Go to Top of Page

Nurse Rene
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  6:48:21 PM  Show Profile Send Nurse Rene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any vacuum sealer, Space Bags or FoodSavers are perfectly safe and will also keep out the moths as you expected due to the lack of air. I have found, however that the Space Bags tend to 'leak' over time and do not hold the seal. Perhaps there are new improvements since I used mine. Also, I reuse the very nice bags in which new bed linens and such are sold (with a zipper closure) and find that they are VERY nice, see through and the air can be 'squashed out' to a certain degree. Moths could still get inside however and you may want to place the bag inside another bag with moth repellant just to be safe.
Go to Top of Page

Mean Mama
Permanent Resident

USA
1138 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  8:29:47 PM  Show Profile Send Mean Mama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by artsyfish
s far as space saver bags go, I have not found they hold the seal over the long term. Every time I've gone to get something out, the bag has expanded. This goes for both travel and under bed bags.

I agree--they always seem to have re-expanded over time. Food vac bags do not.

-- Mean Mama

“Qui vit sans folie,
N’est pas si sage qu’il le croit.”
Go to Top of Page

Sunni
New Pal

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  07:13:33 AM  Show Profile Send Sunni a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been using "small blanket bags" from cleanersupply.com they have mesh along the sides, a zipper closer and stack very nicely. Lets the wool "breathe" and keeps out dust and critters, they come in several sizes and are extremely inexpensive. I can fit 5 or 6 in one 35 gallon tub from wally world. found the link!! http://www.cleanersupply.com/products/product.cfm?pID=3499

they have lots of great storage items on that site too. I bought the space bags and never even used them as I found these right after. I like the mesh sides, very easy to "squish" the air out to make them more compact. also excellent for spinning fiber!

If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience!
--George Bernard Shaw

TrunkFullOYarn on Ravelry! :)
Go to Top of Page

Sunni
New Pal

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  07:18:46 AM  Show Profile Send Sunni a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Meant to add that I went from 6 of those tubs down to 2 without getting rid of a single skein of yarn!

If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience!
--George Bernard Shaw

TrunkFullOYarn on Ravelry! :)
Go to Top of Page

KS
Seriously Hooked

862 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  11:13:27 AM  Show Profile Send KS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can reuse the FoodSaver bags. Use the rolls & cut it longer than you need. Seal as close to the cut edge as you can. When you open it, cut evenly right below the seal.

You lose a bit over 1" each time you open it. Maybe 1 1/4"? I do it with food. It will certainly work with yarn. The yarn isn't getting anything on the bag that will make it leak. When you first seal the bag it seems wasteful because of all that extra bag is seems like you're using. Cutting off an inch each time you open it is less waste than a new bag.
Go to Top of Page

NancyP
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  06:47:30 AM  Show Profile Send NancyP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is my husband's variation on the space saver bags using regular zip lock or zip seal storage bags -- close the bag leaving enough space to insert a drinking straw. Suck out the air with the straw and quickly close the remainder of the seal. Works well and is good for a couple of laughs.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe